No announcement yet.

NL-only reserve draft--what an odd one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-only reserve draft--what an odd one!

Very deep NL-only, 12-team, 15 active hitters, 10 active pitchers. Inflation off the charts! Basically, nothing left after the 25-man roster is auctioned. Then we do a 15-man reserve draft made up of minor leaguers and "left over" guys on the major league roster. I learned last year [my first] that there is absolutely nothing to be had with the FAAB, so if it's not on your reserve, you don't have much chance of replacing an active player. That sets the scene.
    I concentrated on pitching for the reserve, knowing how empty the replacements are during the year. It was not until I got home and looked carefully at the final roster that I learned I had drafted 12 of the 15 reserves as pitchers! They were the best value available and I guess I just kept calling them out. I am in a bind right now if any hitters come up injured, but I should have a pretty good supply of pitching available to use as replacements and as trade bait as needed.
    Wacha
    Cingrani
    Pomerantz
    J Turner
    T Thornberg
    C Friedrichs
    M Rogers
    J Marquis
    C Stratton-SF********kept
    R Erlin-SD************kept
    T Skaggs--Ari*********kept
    Anyone ever have such a pitcher-heavy draft?
    Bearin' up!

considering league dynamics, those are nice Ps to have.

can you move 1 or 2 for another versatile scrub like Turner or an OF? not a desperate need, but a little rebalancing is not bad.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

My two reserve drafts this weekend went 5 out of 7 pitchers, and then 6 out of 7. Like with your situation, they seemed like the best values, but I wish I had picked up a couple more hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        another versatile scrub like Turner
        Is his "J Turner" Justin or Jacob?
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

With most NL teams having 12 pitchers/13 hitters (and the Brewers have 13 pitchers!) there are ALWAYS going to be MRs available on the FA list in an NL-only league. But with the Astros gone, it's not surprising to see zero hitters available at a given position. So I went the opposite way in my NL leagues, trying to grab as many bats as I could. It's hard not to get sucked in by all the useful pitchers when you're building a reserve list, but in most cases it's OK to ignore them. I just FAAB'd Bass, Russell and Kintzler, and guys like Avilan, Gearrin, Tony Watson, and Stammen are out there on the FA list.

Comment

Working...
          X