My AL-only Pitching Staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My AL-only Pitching Staff

I have played in an NL-only league for many years and our league made the switch to AL-only this year.
    We had our auction over the weekend and I made some bad $$ decisions. I spent most of my money on hitters and over spent on Scherzer and Nathan.
    Please have a look at my pitching staff and recommend players that you would dump besides Scherzer, Jarrod Parker and Joe Nathan. Who do you see as the most risky? This is a 4X4 league so strikeouts aren't a factor. Wins, Saves, ERA and WHIP.

POS PLAYER TEAM PRICE
    P Max Scherzer DET $22
    P Jarrod Parker OAK $6
    P Felix Doubront BOS $1
    P Chris Tillman BAL $1
    P Brandon Maurer SEA $1
    P Drew Smyly DET $1
    P Tanner ScheppersTEX $1
    P Joe Smith CLE $1
    P Joe Nathan TEX $28

I was going to say that I don't think Scherzer will be as bad as you think until I got to the part about no Ks.

You have some upside there most of which is dependent upon opportunity. The day after the auction I think you stand pat and maybe look to trade some of your offensive depth for pitching.

Comment

How many team?

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
        How many team?
        13 Team 4X4 Keeper League

Comment

in my league (4x4 also, no Ks) Scherzer went for 25, mind you he was the last decent SP available - hence the bidding war; nonetheless, 22 isn't much overvalue.

overall it's an okay staff, tho too much risk in the rotation, only one closer (and he's 38), and no premier set up guys who could vulture a few saves (in 4x4 saves are even more valuable making guys like Cook and Herrera possible trading targets - altho the cat's out of the bag on Herrera now). The guy who probably is most marketable among your $1 guys is Smyley - I might toss his name out & see what you can get for him. Same with Maurer, who will probably be a valuable fantasy asset in a couple of years - I'm skeptical about this season tho. If there's an owner in your league who loves rookies I might be sending him an offer.

edit - I didn't see that it's 13 teams - that's pretty deep ... now makes a bit more sense.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I don't trust Maurer at all in a 4x4. I think his only plus category will be Ks, because he's going to work a lot. I'd rather replace him with another Joe Smith type. Other than that I don't think it's too bad (assuming it's 12-teams). I like Parker and Smyly and Doubront has some upside.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              I don't trust Maurer at all in a 4x4. I think his only plus category will be Ks, because he's going to work a lot. I'd rather replace him with another Joe Smith type. Other than that I don't think it's too bad (assuming it's 12-teams). I like Parker and Smyly and Doubront has some upside.
              I agree with this, and only add that give it a month or so, and then be prepared to be brutal with the underperformers, getting rid of them for hot hands. Otherwise a poor AL SP can bury you, especially in 4x4. Also, while they likely were taken in such a deep league, but if not, remember that pitchers like Colby Lewis, Michael Pineda, and Felipe Paulino will be returning after a couple of months.

Comment

Agree with the above. Let them play a while. Don't conduct a fire sale. You've got some good pitchers there.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  What reliever would you pick up to replace Maurer?

Here are some of the relief pitchers that are available:

Kyle Farnsworth (TB)
                  Matt Lindstrom (CWS)
                  Branyan Villarreal (DET)
                  Joba Chamberlain (NYY)
                  Jason Frasor (TEX)
                  Tommy Hunter (BAL)

Comment

Originally posted by gold standard View Post
                    What reliever would you pick up to replace Maurer?

Here are some of the relief pitchers that are available:

Kyle Farnsworth (TB)
                    Matt Lindstrom (CWS)
                    Branyan Villarreal (DET)
                    Joba Chamberlain (NYY)
                    Jason Frasor (TEX)
                    Tommy Hunter (BAL)
                    None of those guys are known for their ratios. I'd go Farnsy, then Lindstrom.

Comment

I've got an eye on Lindstrom. When I first saw him a couple of years ago I thought he'd make a good closer someday; not that he's in any kind of position but who knows what can happen.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

In a 4x4 saves are a much bigger deal. Do you have a minimum innings rule?

I would look to trade Smyly to someone who has an extra closer that is done this year or has a high priced one that would be on the fence of keeping. It will help you much better in the long run.

Comment

Working...
                        X