In my 14 team mixed.

Best buys:
    Fujikawa $2
    Homer Bailey $4
    Carlos Ruiz $1
    Garza $4

Worst buy:
    Johan Santana $6

Another manager in my league spent $27 on Oscar Tavaras. To put it in perspective he had $27 and one bench spot left to fill on his roster and several people (including me) had more money left than him at this point. I guess he expected someone to outbid him but his opening bid was met with crickets. I wasn't about to spend that kind of cash for less than 3 months from a rookie.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

AL 10
      is it bad to say i was happy with every drafted player? seems normal this early in the game. this would be a whole different thread by june.
      paid too much for miggy @ $48, but i could afford it and how can you be unhappy with miggs?
      paid $22 for morse - would have had him $5 cheaper if he didnt have the huge spring.
      paid $13 for a.ramirez - fair price.
      ellsbury went a bit high @$31 - but i had him in '11 and he's worth every penny if he stays healthy.
      LOVE my end game pitchers - $1 al al, $1 d.holland, $2 j.mcgee (although jakey looked a bit shakey last week)
      the only mild regrets that i have are $1 smoak & $1 bradleyjr - and only because i had enough money to buy someone better. i rolled the dice on their $1 contracts solely because i like them. (i've rostered smoak three times @$1... sooner or later it has to pay off, no??)
      now, ask me how i feel about these picks in june/july and i might have a different answer...
      One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        My guess would be Mark Trumbo early. Late gamers with money. Reimold best player late in the game?
        Bingo, I targeted Reimold but got caught in a bidding war with an O's fan.

Comment

my league is equivalent to an 11-team only, but we have mixed AL and NL. 5x5 keeper league (about 30% inflation) with some some modified categories: SB-CS, OBA, and XBA for hitting; SV-BS+Ho/2 for pitching.

best: brandon belt at $19. not necessarily because of his price outright, but at the point he came up in the auction, he was the *only* quality left at 1B, several GMs still had holes at either 1B or CI, and my projections had him at an inflated $27 anyway.

worst: darwin barney at $6. there was absolutely nothing left in the MI, and i had a few $ to spare near the end-game. still, not happy with that purchase. i should have just got a warm body and spent more on my setup guys. and i'm even less happy with my FAAB pickup of lillibridge as his replacement. sheesh.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

When all is said and done I like

Matt Adams - $1
            Trevor Rosenthal - $1
            Evan Gattis - $4

in my NL-only 10-team league.

Comment

12 Team 5x5 (OBP) NL-only, 25 active 12 reserves $280 budget with high inflation:

Best: I don't love any of my purchases, but I'm happiest with Choo at $37. A 20/20 leadoff hitter with .390-ish OBP moves to a hitter's ballpark and a very good surrounding lineup.

Worst: Tyler Colvin at $9. One of my fellow owners kept "talking down" every player he wanted before bidding an extra $1 on them, and I kind of got tired of it. He was chasing Colvin cheaply so I priced enforced him $1 more than I should have, and I wound up missing out on three end-game pitchers I really liked.
              2021 Auction Anatomy
              2021 Keeper Decisions
              2020 Auction Anatomy
              2020 Pre-Auction
              2015 Auction Anatomy
              2014 Auction Anatomy
              2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
              RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                15-team mixed: Too easy to say that spending $32 on Hanley was a mistake, since I did it before he got hurt. Michael Brantley at $2 was probably the worst because it filled my UT spot and cost me some better players. Or spending $24 on Mo Rivera when I didn't really need a closer (since traded for Brandon Phillips, though). Best purchase was probably Trevor Rosenthal for a buck.

12-team NL only: Colin Cowgill for $9 might be the best, liked Cody Ross for $17 too but he needs to get back on the field first. Worst was probably Jordany Valdespin for $13, I thought he was the last guy with a job, but the Mets had other ideas and he doesn't actually have a job.
                $22 combined for Cowgill and Valdespin? I knew you were a closet Mets fan.
                2021 Auction Anatomy
                2021 Keeper Decisions
                2020 Auction Anatomy
                2020 Pre-Auction
                2015 Auction Anatomy
                2014 Auction Anatomy
                2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

15 team mixed 5x5
                  Best: tough call here because it's still really early - Maybe getting Mark Reynolds for $3 as my end game Util guy.
                  Worst: Ike Davis $29 - I had plenty of money (probably too much) at the time and needed a 1B that could get me 30 HRs. Time will tell.
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

NL 12TO, with bench,
                    Best: Wilson Ramos $8, Travis Wood $2, the pair of Crawford $34 + Choo $39 seemed shockingly high but I am very glad I posted high bid.
                    Worst: M Scutaro $22, D Dejesus $14 both look to be huge flops in the early going

Comment

I been pretty Happy picking John Buck off the waiver wire - so far

Comment

Josh Johnson - $12, Stephen getting Evan Gattis for $3 for me this weekend
                        purchasing any Oakland middle infielder (Nakajima $8, Weeks $4)

Comment

Is it too late to add a $12 Josh Johnson to this list?

asshole killing my ratios

Comment

Hah, yeah - was Johnson on your "best buy" list here as of this morning? Ouch.

Comment

10-team NL-only 5x5:
                              best: Ramos $8, I guess? I don't have anyone else that I bought at auction that is actually overperforming. Ugh. At least most of my keepers have been decent.
                              worst: Haren $11 unless he's decent tonight, otherwise Votto $53 until he remembers how to hit for power

12-team mixed 5x5:
                              best: Ramos $1, Morse $4, Samardzija $8
                              worst: Marmol $1, Rondon $4, Hanley $20 (probably too much given the injury)
                              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X