Your best and worst buys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your best and worst buys

Not including any of your retained players, who were your best and worst buys of this auction season?

From my 12-team 5x5 NL-only and AL-only league auctions yesterday…

BEST - $3 - Colby Lewis - the only player that I targeted going into the auction, very minimal risk for a potential big return both in the second half of this year and long-term

WORST - $15 - John Axford - only other closer available was Soriano ($24), I try not to put too much weight into one week of stats, but maybe I should have gone for Fujikawa ($13) instead

10-team hybrid league (using some AL teams, some NL teams), essentially equivalent to a 12-to-14-team mixed value-wise. 5x5 with OBP.

$75 cap instead of $260, bids in quarter increments instead of dollar increments.

BEST -- $.50 -- Mark Reynolds. Yes, he strikes out a ton, but there's no extra penalty for that and he's better at OBP than AVG. You don't let the bidding on a 30-HR guy stop here.

WORST -- $1.50 -- Jhonny Peralta. He's extremely "meh" at this point. This was about 3/4 of the way through the auction and I was getting nervous about filling the MI slot, but it turned out there were equivalent or better MIs who went for less or weren't even drafted.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

BEST - Hamels 35 and Phillips 28 in a wildly inflated NL-only auction

WORST - maybe Headley 24, as reduction to 15 NL teams left me replacing him for a month or more with ..... Lillibridge (blows chunks)
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Good idea for a post.

The purchase I am least happy about (but needed at the time) is Alexi Amarista $10.

I actually have a player that goes is going from my worst to best and back about every ten minutes. I bought Lincecum for $15.

Comment

AL 4x4
          Best
          My last two pitchers.
          Iwakuma $1 - Still can't figure this one out. Must have been Seattle bias.
          Pettitte $1 - I know why no one else bid on him - the other owners were giving me a bad time the moment I said his name, that he'd get hurt right away, that the Yankees were going to terrible, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush View Post
            AL 4x4
            Best
            My last two pitchers.
            Iwakuma $1 - Still can't figure this one out. Must have been Seattle bias.
            Pettitte $1 - I know why no one else bid on him - the other owners were giving me a bad time the moment I said his name, that he'd get hurt right away, that the Yankees were going to terrible, etc.
            wow, Iwakuma went for $11 in my AL league & many of us (with no money left) thought that was a big bargain.

for me, I didn't really get any good bargains; price enforcement was in full effect, and with big inflation I was just happy to get players around cost. Probably my favourite buys are speculative picks in the end game - I got both Carter Capps & Josh Fields for 2 & 4. Would love to see one (or both) get the jobs for next season.

re: worst buys, probably Andrus at 27. I really wanted him ... probably a bit too much.
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

15-team mixed: Too easy to say that spending $32 on Hanley was a mistake, since I did it before he got hurt. Michael Brantley at $2 was probably the worst because it filled my UT spot and cost me some better players. Or spending $24 on Mo Rivera when I didn't really need a closer (since traded for Brandon Phillips, though). Best purchase was probably Trevor Rosenthal for a buck.

12-team NL only: Colin Cowgill for $9 might be the best, liked Cody Ross for $17 too but he needs to get back on the field first. Worst was probably Jordany Valdespin for $13, I thought he was the last guy with a job, but the Mets had other ideas and he doesn't actually have a job.

Comment

12 Team, AL-Only, 5x5 scoring, low to moderate inflation
                Best: Colby Lewis $2, Mark Trumbo $16
                Worst: Nolan Reimold $17 (that darn +$1 button is just so easy to hit in the heat of bidding)

16 Team, Mixed, 6x6 (HR, R, SB, RBI, OBP, SLG, QS, K, ERA, K/BB, Save+Holds, WHIP), high inflation
                Best: A. Caberera $22, E. Jackson $3
                Worst: Brett Gardner $31, Chase Utley $23 (if he gets 500 AB's then it moves to the best, until then it is all risk)

Comment

RJEL: Brett Wallace for $8. I hate myself for this. I'm happy I bought CC but shouldn't have done it for $35.
                  NL-only: I wish I bought more starters.

Comment

Originally posted by wombat104 View Post
                    12 Team, AL-Only, 5x5 scoring, low to moderate inflation
                    Best: Colby Lewis $2, Mark Trumbo $16
                    Worst: Nolan Reimold $17 (that darn +$1 button is just so easy to hit in the heat of bidding)
                    I'm trying to figure out how this happens...Reimold went for more than Trumbo?

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
                      I'm trying to figure out how this happens...Reimold went for more than Trumbo?
                      My guess would be Mark Trumbo early. Late gamers with money. Reimold best player late in the game?

Comment

AL Only 10 team Auction/keeper (some inflation)
                        Best: Morse $20, Herrera $1, Hammel $3
                        Worst: Andrus $23 , Blanton $3

Mixed 11 Team Auction/Keeper
                        Best: Harvey $5, Cobb $5, Fujikawa $1, Belt $1
                        Worst: Howie Kendrick $16, Felix Hernandez $28 (got caught price enforcing)

Comment

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
                          RJEL: Brett Wallace for $8. I hate myself for this.
                          I suspect the same will be said by anyone who bought him for any price in any format.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

My reserve round pickup of Daniel Nava (to replace my questionable addition of a $7 A-Rod) is looking pretty good so far

Comment

AL 10-team.

I was happy (and surprised) with my $7 Jeter at the time, but now I'm starting to hate that pick more and more...

I like my $20 Lester - was willing to go to $25.
                              I like my $7 Jannsen
                              I like my $7 Brantley

I hate my $14 Jason Castro. Yes, $14 - too much money left and nobody to spend it on.
                              I also hate my $5 Brett Wallace. I expected more but already can tell that's going to be a bust.
                              $4 Drew Stubbs was cheap but already he has pretty much sucked.

Comment

Working...
                              X