NL only dilemma for this Saturday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL only dilemma for this Saturday.

Our 5x5 NL only $260 budget 12 team with 23 man rosters and 17 man reserves auction is this Saturday. Inflation is high.

5 of the 12 teams have two closers, 2 have none. Of the 5 remaining teams with one closer, one has Motte and I have Axford. The only remaining closers are Soriano, Marmol/Fujikawa.

There is going to be a lot of money, but also a lot of slots to fill. I do not believe anyone has ever finished in the money taking last place in a category.

I do not like to go into the auction without a closer.

Our rules allow 1 mulligan on auction day. That means we can drop a player, or take one back from our old list. Axford at $20 is currently on my keeper list. I am now thinking I may be better off to use my mully to drop Axford? I doubt I get him back. Paying full boat on Soriano does not seem like a good idea when considering other teams closers.

So, do I drop Axford and punt saves. Keep him (back him up) and try to pick up Marmol or other waiver wire fodder.

Thanks for any input.

Man I would not want to spend $20 on Axford. Can you throw him back and get Henderson for $10 and Fujikawa for $15? (I'm guessing Fujikawa goes $20+ but you never know)

Comment

Why wouldn't you get him back at less than $20? I think you can probably roster both Axford and Henderson for $20 or less if you take the mully. If you don't, you'll probably have to bury another $5-6 just to back your $20 Axford up with Henderson.

Comment

I'd probably use the mulligan on Axford and take that $20 and focus on another position.

Maybe try and trade for a closer around the deadline if there is a chance you can pick up a point or two in the category, but I'd take the $20 and load up on a category you can win.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          Why wouldn't you get him back at less than $20? I think you can probably roster both Axford and Henderson for $20 or less if you take the mully. If you don't, you'll probably have to bury another $5-6 just to back your $20 Axford up with Henderson.
          The players with no closers have a lot of money. But you make a good point on the back up.

I thought Axford had it figured out, with 93k's in 69 innings, might be worth it. Doesn't mean much if he doesn't have a job.

Comment

With the money they're paying him and the quality pitching in front of him, Soriano should be a monster this year. Axford at $20 is too rich for my blood, especially since I don't really trust Henderson either. If it were me I'd spend what it took to get Soriano then sprinkle a couple cheap sleeper options (Melancon, Brothers, Webb) and hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              5 of the 12 teams have two closers, 2 have none. Of the 5 remaining teams with one closer, one has Motte and I have Axford. The only remaining closers are Soriano, Marmol/Fujikawa.
              5 teams with 2 closers = 10 closers

2 teams with 0 closers = 0 closers

5 teams with 1 closer = 5 closers

Totals== 12 teams with 15 closers

Teams in the National League = 15

Closers left in the draft: 0 ?

Comment

good point. Maybe he's counting both Motte and Boggs, or Parnell and Francisco, or... that's all my ideas. League and Jansen?
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker765 View Post
                  5 teams with 2 closers = 10 closers

2 teams with 0 closers = 0 closers

5 teams with 1 closer = 5 closers

Totals== 12 teams with 15 closers

Teams in the National League = 15

Closers left in the draft: 0 ?
                  Moops, that is 3 teams with 2= 6

7 teams with 1 =13 total

2 teams with 0. still 13.

Rotolab had Jansen sloted and I didn't pick it up on the grid.

Soriano and Marmol(Fuji) are all that is left. And now maybe Axford.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Moops, that is 3 teams with 2= 6

7 teams with 1 =13 total

2 teams with 0. still 13.

Rotolab had Jansen sloted and I didn't pick it up on the grid.

Soriano and Marmol(Fuji) are all that is left. And now maybe Axford.
                    I would dump Axford and probably use that money chasing Soriano since he should get a good amount of saves with good job security. If you can move in the top of the 1 closer pack you would get a reasonable amount of points. You won't make the top 3 slots, but being #4 would be worth it.

Having Axford is not very secure and his salary would probably be better spent on a good closer or elsewhere IMHO.

Comment

I'd rather have Soriano than Axford
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Only one good closer available at the auction itself...I smell a bidding war for Soriano.

Comment

if you think there's even a chance that Axford is worth 20, do you think Soriano is going to go for 30?

I would not keep Axford under any circumstances, perceived rarity or not. I'd rather spend $20 on another position that maybe one of the teams with two closers is weak at and try to swing a trade if you think that's what it would take. I'm sure you could get some medium-good hitter for $20 and trade him for Street or Betancourt or someone else who's more reliable than Axford.
                          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Marmol got the save today, so I guess they are going to run him out there until they find a trade partner.

Pass on Axford. You can come out of the auction without a name closer and not be punting saves. Use that money to grab some extra homers, or something people will be short of later. Pick up a couple of guys who could move into closer roles. David Hernandez in Arizona. There are a lot of guys with the skills.

Whatever you do, don't spend a ton of money on one closer who will leave you in last place.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                              Only one good closer available at the auction itself...I smell a bidding war for Soriano.
                              Yep and 3 guys with $220 or more at the auction.

I expect a bunch of bidding wars, but Soriano could easily go for 30.

This is going to be one of the more interesting auctions I have ever attended.

Comment

Working...
                              X