Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could does anyone have the guts to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could does anyone have the guts to...

Roster Lincecum and Halladay for $11 each?

Makes me sweat just thinkin about it.

If you ended up with one of them for 6 bucks, would you even try to get the other one at any cost?

I would. EASILY. If I could get the two of them for $22 total in any of NL-onlies, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Our 4x4 NL auction is Saturday and I won't go a buck on Timmah, Doc or Beckett.
      I have watched all three and their collective velocity is way down.

Comment

Halladay is still talking like he knows what is going on and feels like he is headed in the right direction. The dude was a machine in the past and last year's injury messed up his usual off-season schedule.

About last night he said:
        “I was just trying to be too picky, too fine,” he claimed. “Last year, feeling the way you do, you think ‘I can’t throw an 86 mph fastball to a general zone. It’s going to get hit.’ So you get to the point where you start to get picky. I’m getting to the point where I’m building arm strength and it’s continuing to grow every time I pitch, so I can start opening things up and not try to be so fine — which is what I’ve always done. I’ve always relied on movement and not tried to pick sides of the plate. And there were times where we were picking corners of the plate. I need to open it up and let the movement take care of itself. But the arm strength is a key to that and continues to build. I think that’s something I can start widening.”

The article also said he was hitting 90 at the start of the game, but wore down by the 4th inning.

I'm not sure Lincecum knows what is going on with himself but I think Halladay still has a plan. The Ks were already there, so the movement is good. I think he will pay $11.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

For sure if you are in a 12 or 14 team mixed then they arent worth your time. If you are in an NL 12 tm 23 active/5 bench type as many of us are, then you have little chance of getting them for even under $10. NL 12TO Linc went $11, Halladay $20, Beckett $15, with buyers well aware of risks, though if auction happened today I would think the Halladay price might be a little lower....

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Roster Lincecum and Halladay for $11 each?

Makes me sweat just thinkin about it.

If you ended up with one of them for 6 bucks, would you even try to get the other one at any cost?
            I'd avoid both and congratulate anyone who had the cojones to roster them successfully. There are so many good pitchers in baseball these days, why risk it on these two??

Comment

in my 10-team NL-only, they both went for $13 to the same guy.

edited to add: in my 12-team mixed, Halladay went for $15, Lincecum $12, but I think those are just horrible; could have had Zimmermann 17, Cueto 16, CJ Wilson 15, Fister 10.
              Last edited by mjl; 04-04-2013, 03:42 PM.
              In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
                For sure if you are in a 12 or 14 team mixed then they arent worth your time. If you are in an NL 12 tm 23 active/5 bench type as many of us are, then you have little chance of getting them for even under $10. NL 12TO Linc went $11, Halladay $20, Beckett $15, with buyers well aware of risks, though if auction happened today I would think the Halladay price might be a little lower....
                Actually, I think it's a smarter risk to take in a 12 to 14 team mixed, where you can more likely get them for cheap and you have a much better chance of either rostering passable alternatives for your bench or picking up a quality arm thru FAAB if either or both turn out to be terrible. Then, maybe you take the chance on the upside figuring the downside is $6 wasted at the auction and a few FAAB bucks for a replacement level SP.

Comment

Whatever size league you are in, goal should be trying to rank your player pool and get best players in that universe. If you are only going 12 1b deep for example, you dont need a list more than 12 names, the 13th name has a zero bid value, though he probably will be picked up via fa early on as others are dropped. A 12 tm mixed only really good SP's should be getting bid on. A 12 tm NL with 5 man bench, it doesnt matter if it is even an awful SP, he will probably end up on someones team. On a 14 tm NL with deep bench, I know one person on this site with that deep a league, virtually every person with a pulse, be they middle ip mopup guys or whatever are picked up.

To me, this means that the 12 tm NL with bench, Linc + Hall + Beckett are worth solid bids, because even middling average stat lines have value, and because almost everything has to be picked up. For them to be worth it in a 12 tm mixed, means you need them to have a way higher production than the NL only to be worth rostering.

Comment

Right, but projection isn't a science and there is a range of outcomes that we can all envision for these two guys. At one end, they find their mojo and return to the Cy Young quality pitchers they were not all that very long ago. At the other end of the range they're killing your team ERA and WHIP. So in a mixed league where the replacement level pitchers are much better and you only have to spend $6 bucks or so on the hope of the huge payoff, it's just a smaller risk to take than committing $15 bucks to one of them in an NL-only league where, if they prove to be ratio-killers over their first five starts or so, you've got no quality arms left on the waiver wire to replace them with. Yes, they absolutely will be rostered in deep NL-only leagues, and probably each for double digits. But certainly not on my team. I'd much rather take the high-risk, high-reward gamble at a lower price point in a mixed league.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                      The article also said he was hitting 90 at the start of the game, but wore down by the 4th inning.
                      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                      X