FanDuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FanDuel

So someone here had posted about daily fantasy sites last week, and I ended up checking out FanDuel, which advertises on the local sportsradio station here. I thought it looked great, what the hell, let's give it a shot.

When you sign up for FanDuel, they give you a free entry into a beginners 10-team league, with the top 5 teams winning $2. You get a salary cap and need to buy a pitcher and 8 hitters, and they get (or lose) points for IP, Ks, HRs, Hits, etc. You guys know the drill.

With my first crack on Opening Day with the free team, I finished 4th out of 10 and won $2. I parlayed the $2 into the largest $2 league yesterday, a 2,900 entry league with payouts to the Top 250. I build my lineup and tinkered with it during the day -- I swapped out Marco Estrada for Ryu, needed to make changes elsewhere, so I drop Kemp for Morse and used the extra dough to go from Altuve to Kinsler.

Around 10pm, I'm midpack but many of my guys had just started. By 10:30pm, I was 500th. Then 100th. Then CarGo hits a bomb and I'm 50th. Morse hits a dinger at 11pm, now I'm 25th. A few more hits and and a couple of HRs, and at 11:30, I was 15th. My wife goes to sleep, I'm watching the Dodger game with Ryu on MLB Network. Many of the top teams had Darvish, so I figured, eh nice run, but I'm cooked. I check again around midnight, and I'm 2nd! Now I'm exhausted and drunk but I can't look away! Ryu is mediocre, but you only get dinged for ERs, not HA. Bumgarner pitches a gem, but other teams that had him don't catch up.

At 12:30, Kyle Seager hits an RBI double (3 pts) and I jump into 1st! I picked 3 Mariners (go figure!) and at 12:45, Kendry and then Morse come up. Kendry goes down, but my man Morse smacks his 2nd HR of the night! The A's come up in the bottom of the 9th and go down in order -- I refresh my screen to see if anyone had Iwakuma (or if that mattered), and then finally -- FIRST PLACE out of 2,900 teams!! My first money league on this site using $2 in house money, and I come home with $700!!

What a load of fun. I'm hooked!!

[IMG=http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1994/fanduelapr2.png][/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Attached Files
    Last edited by revo; 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM.

well done. can you cash out, or do you just keep pouring it back in to new teams?

and do they make their money from advertising or something?
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Awesome Ed. Maybe we will be hearing your name next year on the commercials?

I tried Fanduel last year and never had any luck though I was just staying in simple 1 vs 1 matchups.
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
        well done. can you cash out, or do you just keep pouring it back in to new teams?

Yeah, you can cash out at any time or pour it back into other teams. They paypal any withdrawal under $600, and for those over $600, you have to send them your name/address/SS# because you need to pay taxes on it.

They make money by skimming off the top (i.e. they paid out $5000 or so of the $5800).

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          Yeah, you can cash out at any time or pour it back into other teams. They paypal any withdrawal under $600, and for those over $600, you have to send them your name/address/SS# because you need to pay taxes on it.

They make money by skimming off the top (i.e. they paid out $5000 or so of the $5800).
          So you can gamble away $101 of it and then cash out?

Comment

WTG revo...impressive that you were able to win without having Darvish. I've been playing on draftstreet myself...a couple nights ago I came in 2nd place in a 550-player NBA daily and won $125, so I now have a decent amount of cash to play with for baseball

Not to hijack the thread, but Im going to start another thread dealing with strategies for these daily leagues. Again, congrats revo!
            Last edited by Pauly; 04-03-2013, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
              WTG revo...impressive that you were able to win without having Darvish. I've been playing on draftstreet myself...a couple nights ago I came in 2nd place in a 550-player NBA daily and won $125, so I now have a decent amount of cash to play with for baseball

Not to hijack the thread, but Im going to start another thread dealing with strategies for these daily leagues. Again, congrats revo!
              That's a good idea. Yeah, I think I got very lucky having 5 hitters with HRs (and Morse with 2). Pitchers seem to rule this game.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post

I'm sure there's a rake for running the game.
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Those of us who played poker online can attest that you have to be careful with these sites. You can argue all you want that this is skill-based and so no way that this is illegal gambling, but there's always a chance that accounts will be frozen and/or unscrupulous operators will use users accounts to fund marketing and operations. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd keep a really low unused balance in my account, were I to do fanduel. There is a nonzero probability that your balance will go to $0 without warning.

Comment

Fantastic Stuff Ed!

Was this the site that was doing free-rolls for us last year at times? I had a small balance on that one.
                    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                      Those of us who played poker online can attest that you have to be careful with these sites. You can argue all you want that this is skill-based and so no way that this is illegal gambling, but there's always a chance that accounts will be frozen and/or unscrupulous operators will use users accounts to fund marketing and operations. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd keep a really low unused balance in my account, were I to do fanduel. There is a nonzero probability that your balance will go to $0 without warning.
                      Yeah, I agree. It doesn't fall under gambling laws now, but that could change tomorrow.

Fantastic Stuff Ed!

Was this the site that was doing free-rolls for us last year at times? I had a small balance on that one.
                      Hmmm, not sure. I didn't participate in that.

Comment

I've got a deal with FanDuel for first time users. Deposit $25 and get my Mastersball Platinum for free. Yeah, drafting season is almost over but I provide in-season projections as well as access to my columns posted on ESPN insider. FanDuel will also give you an extra $7.50.

PROMO CODE masters
                        Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Entered a $10 "Double up"game today -- top 50 of 112 doubles their entry fee-- finished 12th and won $20. A lot less stress!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                            I've got a deal with FanDuel for first time users. Deposit $25 and get my Mastersball Platinum for free. Yeah, drafting season is almost over but I provide in-season projections as well as access to my columns posted on ESPN insider. FanDuel will also give you an extra $7.50.

PROMO CODE masters
                            There is something similar for baseballmonster.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                            X