Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early AL Only Trade advice

10 Team Al Only Auction/Keeper
    I currently have an offer on the table that would net me Jim Johnson $10 (last year I can keep him) for Jason Hammel $4 (year 1).

I have one other closer Hanrahan so pairing Johnson with him would help...but is johnson worth it or keep his job all year?? I dont see him getting close to 50 again this year but 30-35 maybe. I am not sure I should be to worried about his bad spring but the presence of Strop make me pause. Most of the "good" teams this early on have 2 closers so this would help me stay with them seeing as I have a good offense.

To give you some context here is my staff
    Felix Hernandez $31
    Bud Norris $3
    Jason Hammel $4
    Joe Blanton $4
    Felix Dubront $3
    Zack McAllister $1
    Joel Hanrahan $16
    Kelvin Herera $1
    Ricky Romero $12 (had to keep him)
    Neftali Feliz $15 (had to keep him)

I plan of trying to get some MR to replace Romero and Feliz via waiver/FA pick ups.

thoughts? Should I trade Hammel $4 for Johnson $10?

thanks for the help,,,

I really like Hammel. And I think JJ is going to be fine. He earned a lot of credit last year, and he's going to regress some but I don't think it costs him the job. I think in a vacuum they are both in the $16-$18 range. Can your staff survive with Bud Norris as the 2nd best SP? In a 10-team league? I'm skeptical. I would probably rather wait until Hererra falls into some saves or you find another speculative guy on the WW.

Comment

Well said, Joncarlos. Answers like that are what keep people coming back to this site.

Comment

I like Hammel a lot this year as well...surprised I got him for $4. I am hesitant to pull the trigger for the same reasons JC points out, but I know I am going to need another closer one of these days so why not strike early. This owner is playing for next year so perhaps I can sell home on more future value. I think I am going to counter with Norris for Johnson. Any counter points out there?

thanks again for the advice.

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        I really like Hammel. And I think JJ is going to be fine. He earned a lot of credit last year, and he's going to regress some but I don't think it costs him the job. I think in a vacuum they are both in the $16-$18 range. Can your staff survive with Bud Norris as the 2nd best SP? In a 10-team league? I'm skeptical. I would probably rather wait until Hererra falls into some saves or you find another speculative guy on the WW.

Comment

Hammel was kept for $9 in my AL 10-team.

Comment

How many saves do the other teams project to have? You could trade for JJ and still finish behind them, while decimating your staff. I don't think you can do that deal right now.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

He is considering Norris for Jim Johnson...would you do it then?

Comment

yes, for Norris.
                In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I would do it for Norris but not for Hammel because of your lack of SP depth. I'd rather keep a close eye on the waiver wire and try to snag the next Tom Wilhelmsen than trade away your #2 SP. Plus, it's easier to get one of the cellar dwellers to trade their closers later in the year if you fail in your attempt to find your owner closer candidates.

Comment

agreed on all points...Norris yes..Hammel no. I have enough hitting and farm team depth (Bogaerts, Castellanos, Barnes, Buxton, Singleton) to trade for a hight priced starter if needed. thanks as always to the all the penners out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X