Rjel - hdid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rjel - hdid

Since I posted my NL figured I get some leaguemates thoughts on this team too (since it seems its mostly us commenting on each other). Unlike my NL, I went spread the risk with this league since (a) I felt there was a better player pool available and (b) I'm not sure how willing I'll be to deal off my top prospects (which to anyone who knows me knows this goes without saying). Overall, I felt I executed exactly as I planned as again I had dollars pegged within 1-2 on most players.

C: Victor Martinez $2 (keeper)
    1B: Freddie Freeman $5 (keeper)
    CI: Eric Hosmer $6 (keeper)
    3B: Brett Lawrie $4 (keeper)
    2B: Omar Infante $12
    MI: Jerry Hairston $1
    SS: Elvis Andrus $14 (keeper)
    OF: Michael Bourne $36
    OF: Angel Pagan $22
    OF: Torii Hunter $18
    OF: Corey Hart $17
    OF: Jonny Gomes $6
    UT: Mark Reynolds $19
    UT: Chris Carter $13

BN: Chris Denorfia $1

Comments: I have Kozma on my FARM to replace Hairston once Lawrie gets back. Carter should get OF eligibility soon which will give me more flexibility but bought him and Reynolds to add power.

P: Max Scherzer $31
    P: Hiroki Kuroda $10 (keeper)
    P: Marco Estrada $5 (keeper)
    P: Trevor Cahill $6 (keeper)
    P: Dan Straily $4
    P: Chris Capuano $1
    P: Luke Gregerson $3
    P: Ernesto Frieri $7 (keeper)
    P: Glen Perkins $1 (keeper)

BN: Brandon Beachy $7
    BN: Ryan Madson $10
    BN: Phil Hughes $5
    BN: Joakim Soria $3

Comments: Wanted to pair Frieri & Madson so did so early. Hopefully Beachy comes back strong to help anchor the rotation.

FARM: Nick Castellanos
    FARM: Addison Russell
    FARM: Noah Syndergaard
    NOTE: won't list the rest since those are the only real top prospects on various lists though do have Kozma to slide into active roster.

As I planned, pretty balanced team overall I think though with some OBA risk. Need Reynolds to return to 30+ HR power or else HR could be a problem too.

Yeah, I'd have to say that you're a little light in the power unless V-Mart can hit 25 and Hart hits 25...no guaranteed 30 HR bats there so that's going to be an issue. At 30 years old, I don't like Reynolds to dramatically turn his slide around...but it's possible that he could get to 30. Speed, and more speed, almost too much speed with 3 burners. But it will allow you to deal when you need to, everyone's always looking for bags. Runs should be solid and OBP should also be good.

Love Scherzer, and fought you for him to no avail...he's going to be a beast, again. The rest of the staff is good, not great, with too much resting on aging, unproven, or injured guys. If you hit on all bets, you'll be great, if you miss on a couple, you'll be in trouble, just like the rest of us. Good low cost closers backup up well with top 8 inning guys, so saves should be in the upper 3rd at worst, IMO.

I think that you'll be in it, but you have some work to do during the season...don't get too tied to those prospects of yours.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

My take:

Your strengths:
      • Your spread the risk is obvious and well-executed.
      • You have fewer holes than most and those are easily filled with players you have on hand.
      • Solid starting pitching staff. Your low-end starters are pretty good, better than most. I do like how these are starters on good teams.
      • I pushed you $19 on Reynolds. I am really high on him this year, and I think 30 HRs is good play for him. I think it was just me and you after $12. I think it was you that pushed me on Venable, so all is fair.
      • You have lots of speed.

Your weaknesses:
      • I think you lack a true ace. Scherzer is damn good, but I think he's more of a strong #2. If you get a couple of injuries, even short-term ones, your staff could get ugly quick.
      • While you have a lot of SBs, you did pay quite a bit for them. SBs are cheap, generally, and I find that if I try to go cheap on SBs and spend on power, I tend to do better than when the opposite is the case. We'll see how that goes for you. Intuitively, it should work, but I don't see it often.
      • You could really be hurting in OBP with a couple of down seasons. Getting power from Reynolds and Carter are not going to help you too much there.
      • I like this team very much, but it tough for me to get a handle on. I think you'll have a very good idea of what you have by the end of May.

Comment

Yeah, loading up on SBs early was a counter-strategy to play against general sentiment these days which is more about power. My feeling is that if I could lock down 2 SB studs early I could shift focus later on just OBA and HR. Problem there being as I am using a spread the risk strategy I had to take what the auction gave me. It was you on Reynolds but I was just price enforcing on Venable (as I clearly didn't need him) so agree all is fair. Reynolds had an oblique last year so I fully expect him to get above 30 but agree that he needs to for my team to be good (and do so with an OBA > 320).

I probably disagree that Scherzer isn't an "ace" but generally agree with your sentiment on my staff. I've been burned so many times by SPs who I pay a lot for only to get hurt or underperform so I wanted a more balanced staff this year. We'll see how it plays out.

Comment

So Chris Carter looked Pedro Cerano bad last night. Guy is massive but omg is his hit tool a 40? Just one game but had I seen that swing live in the preseason I don't think I would have bid. Oh well, stats don't tell the whole story....

Comment

Working...
          X