My 12TO NL Team - HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 12TO NL Team - HDID

Following the lead of others, figured I'd put my team out here for feedback as well. Really strong keeper list / FARM team to start so had a stars and scrubs strategy as my going in plan as this is a league that does a lot of trading and rebuilding (and thus can fill holes thru trades). RotoLab did me very well in both this league and RJEL (with my custom settings to adjust for how inflation dollars would get allocated) as prices were in general as I expected. I had pre-auction inflation calculated around 45% (blended rate) with history saying that more of the inflation gets allocated to hitting. Last year, top closers were in the low 30s and top pitching went there as well (e.g. Gallardo went for $33 last year) so when prices started out a little low I jumped right in and spent all my money in the first 30 minutes (not something I generally do).

C: AJ Ellis $2 (keeper)
    1B: Ike Davis $15 (keeper)
    CI: Anthony Rizzo $5 (keeper)
    3B: Eric Chavez $2
    2B: Neil Walker $10 (keeper)
    MI: Brandon Crawford $5
    SS: Ian Desmond $23 (keeper)
    OF: Jay Bruce $15 (keeper)
    OF: Jason Heyward $15 (keeper)
    OF: Justin Upton $43
    OF: Angel Pagan $30
    OF: Travis Snider $10
    UT: Alexi Amarista $5
    UT: Gerald Laird $1

BN: Reed Johnson $1 (hedge against injury for Upton/Heyward)
    BN: Alex Presley (hedge for Snider)

Comments: I decided pre-auction to punt 3B so Chavez was as good as I hoped for. With McCann out, I figured Laird would give me ABs until I make a trade.

P: Kris Medlen $2 (keeper)
    P: Marco Estrada $2 (keeper)
    P: Mat Latos $24
    P: Tim Hudson $14
    P: Antonio Bastardo $1
    P: Eric O'Flaherty $1
    P: Drew Storen $6
    P: Brandon League $1 (keeper)
    P: Jonathan Papelbon $25

BN: Daniel Hudson $4
    BN: Jordan Walden $1
    BN: Jeremy Hefner $1

Comments: I have Teheran to promote which will give me 5 SPs until Daniel Hudson is ready. Acquiring a top-SP will be a priority but several other contenders need SPs too so should be interesting.

FARM: Billy Hamilton
    FARM: Julio Teheran
    FARM: Jameson Taillon
    FARM: Brian Goodwin
    FARM: David Dahl (just drafted)
    FARM: Kolten Wong
    FARM: Brett Jackson
    FARM: Lucas Giolito (just drafted)
    Last edited by Big Tymer; 03-31-2013, 07:28 PM.

Looks to be strong overall, you've spread the risk well. Great Power, should be enough speed if Amarista get some regular AB's, and good BA as well. Really well done. Pitching is more than good enough if estrada can repeat last year, and your reserves are more than adequate in a mono league. With at least 2 guys ready to come up and play full time, your minor league system looks ready to pay off.

All in all, you should be the leader of the pack, I can't imagine that another team has the horses to keep up with you. And you have enough trade fodder to get what you may need during the season...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

I like your team better than Frae's, plus you've got the trade chips to fill holes
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Ridiculous keepers (and minor league squad). Auction looks fine. Better to spend big, given your starting point. You'll probably take some good ribbing from your league-mates if you don't at least medal.

Comment

Yes, this is a good example of what to do with an excellent keeper list - add some more studs to the pile, plus you have broad power and not shortchanged, really, either at SP or the 'pen....

and of course the farmhands are another resource to exploit as the season goes on
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
            plus you've got the trade chips to fill holes
            I concur. You should have a huge lead in Saves so trade from there. I love Upton as the offensive centerpiece.

Comment

Thanks guys! I fully expect Frae to give me a good run for my money as this league is always super competitive and thus I also wouldn't be surprised to see some more horses emerge. Adding Dahl & Giolito yesterday was a best case scenario for me in the minor league draft and now I just have to hold back from getting too attached to these shiny new toys.

FWIW, I had Dahl rated #1 on my board but drafted 3rd (Puig & D'Arnaud went 1 and 2). I've been burned too many times by latin players to go in on Puig and with this being a 1-catcher league I'm not as bullish on D'Arnaud as others. We've only seen a small sample of Dahl but reports have been very strong and I'm buying in on that kind of talent who gets to play half his games in Coors.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                Thanks guys! I fully expect Frae to give me a good run for my money as this league is always super competitive and thus I also wouldn't be surprised to see some more horses emerge. Adding Dahl & Giolito yesterday was a best case scenario for me in the minor league draft and now I just have to hold back from getting too attached to these shiny new toys.

FWIW, I had Dahl rated #1 on my board but drafted 3rd (Puig & D'Arnaud went 1 and 2). I've been burned too many times by latin players to go in on Puig and with this being a 1-catcher league I'm not as bullish on D'Arnaud as others. We've only seen a small sample of Dahl but reports have been very strong and I'm buying in on that kind of talent who gets to play half his games in Coors.
                I think you have a pretty good edge on me when you take into account assets to trade. Outside of trading my major league contracts my two farm toys are Taveras and Rendon. Not bad, but not nearly as deep as you. I also don't get to make my first farm pick for another 10 plus picks. Anyway, I like what you did and I imagine if we both stay healthy I will be chasing you most of the time. Anyway, good luck!

Comment

I like the balance of your roster as well and you have a lot of guy that I have targeted this year in leagues plus a healthy number of Braves.

Nice work!

Comment

Yeah, it's funny I'm not a Braves fan but have lived in Atlanta on and off since 1995 so I think through osmosis I have a unconscious desire to roster Braves Kimbrel didn't look 100% to me this spring so I decided to try and buy their set up men in the oft chance he becomes human this year.

Comment

If you have a Braves fan that you could sell Medlen to for a stud pitcher that was bought in the auction or was kept at a higher price I'd look into it.

I think he'll be a solid arm, but not a true ace and this might be the last chance to unload him for a true stud level player.

Comment

Agree on Medlen. We don't much dumping before May but trading him to a rebuilding team for a SP + more is definitely something on my radar.

On Dahl, the Coors factor is really just a bonus. Definitely more of a speed guy but in general I like to have those guys on the FARM as I prefer to not have to pay for steals as I did this year. I'm an offense-first prospect guy and just like him more than Almora and the latin guys who I admit to having a bias against for reasons I cannot or will not even try to substantiate.

Comment

Working...
                        X