Keeper League Inflation discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by popeye View Post
    At $20, the $10 player is going for a 100% inflation rate, while, at $50, the $40 player, only a 25% inflation rate.
    I chose the numbers I did because of what ThatRogue said.

The percentage by which people are willing to overpay is limited by the absolute dollar limit of their available budgets...so higher priced players tend to be relative bargains.
    In my experience, inflation is not distributed uniformly throughout an auction, and the numbers I threw out are reflective of what I have seen.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

OK, so what's the best draft prep software out there that takes all of this in account and does all of the work for you? Making sure that you are able to put in your keeper salaries, bid increments, and salary cap, etc.

a. rotowire
      b. fantistics
      c. Patton $ Online
      d. baseball HQ
      e. (name another website)

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        If the alternative is buying crappy players, yes. Especially if your keeper list is good.

Paying $20 for a $10 player is much riskier than paying $50 for a $40 player, IMO, because you have a much better idea of what you are getting with the stud.
        You also have to keep in mind that a $40 player is much harder to replace, if injured, than a $10 player.

Comment

Originally posted by rotomaven View Post
          OK, so what's the best draft prep software out there that takes all of this in account and does all of the work for you? Making sure that you are able to put in your keeper salaries, bid increments, and salary cap, etc.

a. rotowire
          b. fantistics
          c. Patton $ Online
          d. baseball HQ
          e. (name another website)
          RotoLab.

Comment

f. experienced brain
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by popeye View Post
              A major consideration is what the calculated inflation rate is for your particular draft. But without knowing that, Halladay at $41 sounds fine to me.
              How do you go about calculating inflation rate for your league? Is it simply calculating $$ keepers are kept at as a % of their true value given your leagues scoring?

e.g I am keeping Cano at $32. If I he is actually worth $25 then that represents 28% inflation?

Once you do that - how do you calculate / anticipate its effect on the current year auction?

Comment

Originally posted by Spec R View Post
                How do you go about calculating inflation rate for your league? Is it simply calculating $$ keepers are kept at as a % of their true value given your leagues scoring?
                Not quite, but it does involve calculating the total value of the players kept and their total salaries. Check out this thread:

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                  Not quite, but it does involve calculating the total value of the players kept and their total salaries. Check out this thread:

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...late+inflation
                  got it - thanks for the link.

Based on the recommendations of many here I purchased the Rotolab auction tool. Its a little overwhelming at first, but I believe it is calculating inflation for me (showing individual % for hitting and pitching). But it doesn't look like its adjusting the player values accordingly. Actually I suppose I wouldn't want it to.

Comment

"the guy who paid $200 for $319 in value presumably has some very attractive trade pieces, and should be able to deal his way to victory."

This is true. But I think we both agree that the main point stands - one can be TOO 'sensible' in refusing to overpay for players...
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      "the guy who paid $200 for $319 in value presumably has some very attractive trade pieces, and should be able to deal his way to victory."

This is true. But I think we both agree that the main point stands - one can be TOO 'sensible' in refusing to overpay for players...
                      Yes...I definitely agree. Price projections have to be a guide and not a hard line in the sand.
                      2021 Auction Anatomy
                      2021 Keeper Decisions
                      2020 Auction Anatomy
                      2020 Pre-Auction
                      2015 Auction Anatomy
                      2014 Auction Anatomy
                      2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                      RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Working...
                      X