Another RJEL hdid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another RJEL hdid

I was woefully underprepared and baked for most of the draft, but here's what I ended up with. Thoughts? *=keepers

C Arecibia 4*
    1B Pujols 55
    3B Headley 13*
    CI Beltre 38
    2B Kipnis 6*
    SS A Escobar 5*
    MI Scutaro 13
    OF Melky 7*
    OF Marte 2*
    OF Soriano 9*
    OF R Davis 4
    OF Boesch 1
    UT Ianetta 1
    UT Pena 5

P Price 11*
    P Cain 26*
    P Harrison 5*
    P Niese 17
    P Burnett 13
    P E Jackson 5
    P McDonald 3
    P Janssen 11
    P Benoit 2

Res Coghlan 1
    Res Arroyo 3
    Res Smyly 3
    Res F Francisco 1
    Res O'Day 1
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

I think Beltre and Pujols are fine though I've never been a fan of the former and I'm always waiting for the latter to fall off the cliff. I love Price at 11 obviously and he'll be top-3 in Cy Young voting all season. I think Cain will always be solid and outperforms his peripherals as usual. Though the playoff innings may eventual comeback to burn him. I like Niese but I think you overpaid. I think your outfield will be a sore spot. I'm not really sure about Melky. But I think he'll play close to what he did with SF.

Comment

I actually like your price for Neise and was hoping I might get him at that price in one of my leagues.

Overall I like the team. Your pitching should be pretty good but you'll need to be on the lookout for save opps all year. Your outfield and utility spots are filled with upside guys with some risk. I like Marte and Melkey to do well but Boesch, Ianetta and Pena could all be problems.

Comment

My take:

Your strengths:
        • Some good young talent, and some good old talent.
        • Good depth across the board. I don't think you have any obvious category deficits that jump out an scream.
        • You didn't list them, but you still have unreasonably good minor leaguers for a team that just took home a championship. I love Olt.
        • Some savvy cheap fliers. I think Iannetta and Coghlan could step up. I was targeting them both. In dollar days, I was hotly debating with myself over Coghlan and Dyson and chose Dyson.

Your weaknesses:
        • Okay, maybe it isn't screaming, but your roster whispers that it's a little light on power. I love Pujols and Beltre, but I'm not sure they'll provide enough sock. You won't be bringing up the rear or anything, but you'll have trouble pulling out of the vast middle in hitting categories, I fear.
        • It seems like you overpaid for some risk and steady mediocrities. Scutaro being an example. I like Niese and Burnett, but I think you paid a bit too much for them as well. Are those two guys -pitching for the Mets and Pirates, respectively- $30 worth of pitching? I'm not so sure.
        • With the exception of Marte and a couple of others, you seem a little old.
        • With just moderately bad luck, Melky is a steroid case, Marte isn't ready, Soriano is too old or injured, and Davis and Boesch never find PT, and you would have a completely useless outfield, and that will kill your chances at a repeat.

Comment

I actually had forgotten about Francisco-if he comes back, that could be a nice end-game buy. Overall, I think it's a mid pack team that could move up if you get a couple of things breaking your way: Benoit closing, drug-free Melky being just as good as Melky with drugs, the Yanks staying injured and Boesch getting a decent shot, etc.

Comment

Working...
          X