Trade opinion NL only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade opinion NL only

Owner who has won 5x5 NL league 10 team with 25 player rosters (15/10) and 280 cap is re-building and offer under consideration is I give Frazier $3(second year), Teheran $3 (1year), Garret Cole (minors) for McCutcheon $15 ( last year), Hamels $33 (last year) and Trevor Story (minors). Inflation is around 30% and Hamels would go mid to high 30s in draft. Opinions?

That seems decent. I'd probably do it. I'd rather have Story than Cole as it is.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

I'd also like this deal for you assuming you have the foundation to build a contender with.
      -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

"necessary evil" is redundant.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

NR's the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasies. --- Pat Benatar

Comment

I would keep the lower cost players going into the draft, then evaluate my team. I assume you could get this deal (or one fairly similar) post-auction, at which time, you'd have built a team with more value on the roster, due to the extra $42 you'd have had to spend. If Hammels was significantly undervalued (as opposed to slightly undervalued), I'd have a different opinion.
        2021 Auction Anatomy
        2021 Keeper Decisions
        2020 Auction Anatomy
        2020 Pre-Auction
        2015 Auction Anatomy
        2014 Auction Anatomy
        2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
        RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

I doubt this owner will still own these players come auction time, so I doubt he has that luxury.

If you're going for it, I'd do it.

fyi, in my league, owners would be a little pissed to see McCutchen AND Hamels go in the same deal, unless no one else has cheap prospects like you do. Sentiment is that it's better to get the best from 2 owners than best and next-best from the same guy. If he has advertised this around the league, though, that would matter, too.

Every league has its own culture, of course...
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
            I would keep the lower cost players going into the draft, then evaluate my team. I assume you could get this deal (or one fairly similar) post-auction, at which time, you'd have built a team with more value on the roster, due to the extra $42 you'd have had to spend. If Hammels was significantly undervalued (as opposed to slightly undervalued), I'd have a different opinion.
            Frankly, I think that TR is correct...save the money for the auction, THEN do a deal with him...there's nothing wrong with getting a deal in place with this guy, and pulling the trigger after the auction. That way you can hopefully have your cash to spend AND get the deal you need once the 280 limit is raised, only assuming that it will be. It would be hard for you to do well at auction carrying an extra 48 bucks on the payroll...
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

There would be no way he would do a future deal without shopping it post auction. I am fine with the McCutcheon end of the deal, but Hamels at $33 is just a little under auction price and i dont like giving up Teheran. On the other hand the only comparable pitchers available at auction are Kershaw and Lee who will go for mid to high 30s. Then it drops down to next tier with Latos, Grenke who will go for around $30, then Gallardo at mid to high 20s, then another drop to Lincecum, Holliday, Marcum, Kennedy all high teens to mid 20s depending on draft dynamics.

I have a contender in waiting going into auction with Goldschmidt, ARam, Molina, Simmons, Murphy, Eaton and then add McCuthcheon. My staff is Medlen, Samardizda, Corbin, Jamie Garcia and then add Hamels.
              Last edited by FBP; 03-30-2013, 09:35 AM.

Comment

See if he'll take out the Hamels/Teheran part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by FBP View Post
                  There would be no way he would do a future deal without shopping it post auction. I am fine with the McCutcheon end of the deal, but Hamels at $33 is just a little under auction price and i dont like giving up Teheran. On the other hand the only comparable pitchers available at auction are Kershaw and Lee who will go for mid to high 30s. Then it drops down to next tier with Latos, Grenke who will go for around $30, then Gallardo at mid to high 20s, then another drop to Lincecum, Holliday, Marcum, Kennedy all high teens to mid 20s depending on draft dynamics.

I have a contender in waiting going into auction with Goldschmidt, ARam, Molina, Simmons, Murphy, Eaton and then add McCuthcheon. My staff is Medlen, Samardizda, Corbin, Jamie Garcia and then add Hamels.
                  Why would he have to shop it post auction? If the owner looks at a deal ahead of time, sees what he wants, and accepts it for execution later, why shop it? He most likely has already shopped the players and this is the deal he found most to his likening.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I know the owner. He didn't shop this and post auction he would. He had a last minute change of heart about dumping pre auction. Our cut down is today at noon (PDT) after which there is no trading.

Comment

Why would a rebuilding owner accept the same terms of a deal post-auction that he's offering now? He needs the extra dough for the auction, too, so he can rebuild.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        Why would a rebuilding owner accept the same terms of a deal post-auction that he's offering now? He needs the extra dough for the auction, too, so he can rebuild.
                        Not necessarily...if he sees better players on other owners teams, he can help rebuild faster than taking the chance that players that HE wants at auction will actually fall to him at his price. A bird in the hand, etc...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Well, I was thinking that he is seeking to get these players cheap, and then buy a stud or two who he could then flip for even more prospects. That's how I'd do it if I was rebuilding.

I agree it's better for our questioner to do it after the auction, but I just don't see what's in it for the seller. He'd even be better off taking less now if he can make the deal before the auction. But his asking price is re a pre-auction deal. I'd be amazed if he would accept the same terms post-auction, kicking away dozens of units in the process...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Post auction, it would be a whole new ball game and there would be multiple suitors lining up for McCuthcheon alone, and Hamels too. If I were this owner I would be shopping studs separately so I felt it time to strike. I am giving up good future but I think I have a solid core to contend.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                              Well, I was thinking that he is seeking to get these players cheap, and then buy a stud or two who he could then flip for even more prospects. That's how I'd do it if I was rebuilding.

I agree it's better for our questioner to do it after the auction, but I just don't see what's in it for the seller. He'd even be better off taking less now if he can make the deal before the auction. But his asking price is re a pre-auction deal. I'd be amazed if he would accept the same terms post-auction, kicking away dozens of units in the process...
                              Different strokes and all that. I've been involved with deals like this and they've tended to work out rather well. You know exactly what you're getting, if it's prospects, they're generally closer to the majors, having spent time in the other owners minor league system. And you can cherry-pick the players that you want, at already established prices, as opposed to getting into a bidding war with someone who fancies the same cheap re-builders that you do.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X