OBP Instead of AVE? Read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reasoning held in my long-time OBP instead of AVG league is:
    If my pitcher walks a hitter, I get directly penalized in WHIP. But if my hitter draws a walk, there is no direct reward.

It does suck for rankings since there are basically no OBP rankings out there, but the difference in rankings is pretty small and it rewards the smarter thinkers in the league for the reason that this Fangraphs article talked about.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      No, I mean that most people still play 4x4 or 5x5 standard rules, so the further off you venture from that, the less you can 'speak the same language.'
      I just don't think that matters. Intelligent fans like what we have here can adapt their insights easily.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by dave_dewit View Post
        If my pitcher walks a hitter, I get directly penalized in WHIP. But if my hitter draws a walk, there is no direct reward.
        That is the biggest reason why I pushed my main league for years to switch to OBP, and why they finally agreed to it. (It took some ownership turnover and new guys that weren't bound by "what we had always done.")
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

It does suck for rankings since there are basically no OBP rankings out there, but the difference in rankings is pretty small and it rewards the smarter thinkers in the league for the reason that this Fangraphs article talked about.
          Heck, there are plenty of OBP rankings out there...Rotowire has a great system that allows you to input the various parameters of your league, and tailors the rankings just for you. Really simple to use, you can even tell it what % of hitting vs. pitching dollars you wish to spend. And ask Jason, you can get a 10 day free trial, no better time than now...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

in a related vein, if using OBA, hitters benefit from a HBP. but the pitcher isn't penalized. for this reason, my league uses a modified WHIP which includes hit batsmen: mWHIP = (BB + H + HBM) / IP.

i agree with horns here - there are places you can get these rankings.
            "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              I mean the guy at work by the water cooler who wants to bounce a trade rumor off you. Every office has those guys, and if you have unique categories, it makes it more difficult to contribute an answer or even more difficult, probably, to have him help you...
              you must work in a very different office than i do. i suspect most people don't discuss roto at work. baseball, sure, but not roto. it's a pretty small community, and happening to have someone you work with also do roto is probably a bit unusual. in any case, and not meaning to be rude or anything, but if you can't take OBA into account during a water cooler discussion about a trade, then i don't want your advice, frankly.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
              X