Pick 2 AL-only farm players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick 2 AL-only farm players

Last night I traded Alex Cobb (B, $7) in our long-running 11 team AL-only, 4x4, $260 league for picks #1 and #3 in our farm draft. Without the trade I would have had the #8 pick and #19 pick. We are allowed four players in our farm team, but can only make two picks each year. When activated they have a $5 salary. I currently have Profar and Bubba Starling on the farm.

Here are the top players available:

Carlos Correa
    Jonathan Singleton
    Mike Olt
    George Springer
    Mason Williams
    Jackie Bradley
    Oswaldo Arcia
    Kaleb Cowart

I'm leaning towards Singleton (I'm aware of the suspension) and Olt, figuring that Correa may be the most talented of this list, but the furthest away from the bigs. I'm probably biased towards Singleton since I was first put on his scent in this forum in 2010 and rostered him in my NL-only league. I would have roster flexibility if both Singleton and Olt come up this year.

What are your thoughts/ideas? Any input is always appreciated and valued from this forum.
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

I think Bradley should also be in the conversation. this is a tough one - any two of those three (Olt, Singleton) are legit picks.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I am not sure that Springer is not a better long term pick than Singleton.

That said Correa would be my first pick. Then I would be picking from Olt, Springer and Singleton. The one I would pick from these three would need to include my league bias for trading purposes, the strength of my team as to immediate help vs. rebuilding.

Nice problem to have. I do not think you can go wrong with any of these 4.

Comment

I agree with Gregg. Correa would be my first pick and then the next would be based on the status of my team, but I'd lean Singleton.

For what it's worth - I would have kept Alex Cobb unless there is no way you could have kept him. I think he'll be good this year and you could have gotten more for him trading him at the deadline at that price.

Comment

I have JBJ and he is a major leaguer for sure because of his glove, but I wish he had more upside. Maybe this spring is for real, but more than likely, Denard Span is his ceiling. If you want a close OF, I would take Arcia over him.

I would go with Correa too, and then probably Singleton if you're willing to go all in on the Astros. Olt is probably not quite as high-ceiling as Singleton but he is still nice.

Comment

Initially I had Bradley higher, but I started to think more in lines to JC's evaluation - nice player to take over in Boston's CF after Ellsbury leaves, but I don't think he has the legit bat (especially power) that Singleton and Olt have.
            "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
            WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
            PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              I would go with Correa too, and then probably Singleton if you're willing to go all in on the Astros.
              And who among us isn't willing to go all in on the Astros?
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                Who has the higher upside long term, Singleton or Springer?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post

I had to have known that you'd chime in.

Hey, I'm liking the farm system. I can't wait to see what the next couple drafts bring your way.

Welcome to the AL, West.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    For what it's worth - I would have kept Alex Cobb unless there is no way you could have kept him. I think he'll be good this year and you could have gotten more for him trading him at the deadline at that price.

I could have kept Cobb - I've watched closely this spring and think that he has nice potential.

Our trading deadline is actually today. An interesting dynamic in over the history of our league is that TYPICALLY as we approach trade deadlines returns actually diminish; reverse of what you would expect.

The guy I traded with had offered the same two picks for Salvador Perez (OY, $5) and was rebuffed, as was his same offer for Brandon Morrow (B, $11). Recognizing that I have a nice freeze list of pitchers, coupled with my desire to move up significantly in the farm draft, I think this trade will benefit both teams. I'm kind of approaching it as a trade of Cobb for two potentially nice bats.

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
                      An interesting dynamic in over the history of our league is that TYPICALLY as we approach trade deadlines returns actually diminish; reverse of what you would expect.

Recognizing that I have a nice freeze list of pitchers, coupled with my desire to move up significantly in the farm draft, I think this trade will benefit both teams. I'm kind of approaching it as a trade of Cobb for two potentially nice bats.
                      Checkmate.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Now that Bauer has been sent down by the Indians, would you consider him with one of those two picks over the bats that were listed?

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
                          Now that Bauer has been sent down by the Indians, would you consider him with one of those two picks over the bats that were listed?
                          Yes, I would make him my second pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                            I think the trade ended up even getting better. I actually got the 4th overall pick in the minor league draft, too (but didn't bother to mention it since I can only use two picks). I ended up trading that pick right before our freeze deadline, as well as my original pick (#8 overall) and Marcus Stroman (who I wasn't going to freeze) for Salvador Perez (B, $10).

Comment

Working...
                            X