Which #4 Pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which #4 Pick?

Okay, so we are adding a max of 3 AL players to our NL "only" league this year. I pick 4th, 12th and 21st. My IF is pretty well set, except for 3B. OF and SP need a little help to say the least, but can put any hitter at the U spot. Assuming Trout and Miggy go 1-2, who do I target for that 4th pick? Note: 5X5 OBP instead of AVE and projected OBPs shown behind player's names.

Fielder .404
    Jose Bautista .387
    Pujols .379
    Longoria .371
    Cano .353
    Verlander

C
    C
    1-1B Votto
    2-2B Aaron Hill
    3-SS Tulo
    3B
    4-CI Ike Davis
    5-MI Josh Rutledge
    UT
    6-OF Allen Craig
    7-OF Dexter Fowler
    8-OF Michael Cuddyer
    OF
    OF

9-SP Trevor Cahill
    SP
    SP
    SP
    10-RP Sergio Romo
    11-RP Steve Cishek
    12-RP Kenley Jansen

1-Minors Oscar Tavares
    2-Minors Carlos Martinez (StL P)
    3-Minors Brett Jackson
    or
    3-Minors Matt Adams

Verlander. Your pitching needs help.

Comment

Yeah I think I'd go Verlander too. I like Cano but you really don't need him, and you won't get an ace at #12.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        Yeah I think I'd go Verlander too. I like Cano but you really don't need him, and you won't get an ace at #12.
        Unless of course he loads up on hitting and buys an ace. Is that possible Barnie?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          i'd take the stick - either cano or fielder - and grab one of felix/price/weaver at 12.
          One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
            i'd take the stick - either cano or fielder - and grab one of felix/price/weaver at 12.
            I actually like Scherzer more than Weaver this year, but that's a toss up.

Given your current roster structure, I'd probably target the following if I were you giving you options of both pitcher and hitter I could see available at that pick.

4 Verlander/Pujols
            12 Carlos Santana/Price
            21 Scherzer/Cespedes/Zobrist

Comment

JB, yes that's possible as our league usually favors hitters over pitchers. I always hesitate taking an arm over a stick with the high picks, but my starting pitching is weak. Also, probably the top 20+ NL pitchers will be kept by other teams before the draft. Still...leaning toward something like this. Thanks for your advice.

4th Prince/Pujols for UT
              12th Price/Felix
              21st Carlos Santana/Cespedes

Originally posted by JudeBaldo View Post
              Unless of course he loads up on hitting and buys an ace. Is that possible Barnie?

Comment

Verlander for me.

Then one of Price/Felix/Weaver at 12.

You would have a crazy good staff.

Comment

I'd go with Fielder/Cano/Pujols and then at #12 take one of Price/Felix/Weaver/Sabathia/Sale/Darvish. You may be able to get a 2nd from that group at 21 also.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    Verlander for me.

Then one of Price/Felix/Weaver at 12.

You would have a crazy good staff.
                    If the top 20 NL pitchers are kept I think this strengthens my post above. It would seem to me that you will fall too far out of the pitching stats to compete. Your offense is nice and you will still be able to pick up a good stick with #21.

Zag when others Sig.

Either way best of luck.

Comment

I say just grab Verlander and enjoy. (If you had an open 2B or MI slot, I'd go with Cano.)

Comment

Updated to reflect trade

I just traded Rutledge and Romo for Samardzjia and Todd Frazier. I think the players' value is pretty close, though I like both my guy's upside more. This gives me a decent 3B (I hope), a second quality SP, and frees up a MI slot for Cano if he falls to me which would keep my UT spot open for a later pick.

4th Cano/Prince for 2B/UT
                        12th Price/Felix/best AL SP available
                        21st Carlos Santana/Cespedes/best AL hitter available for UT spot if I get Cano.

Plus I won't feel so bad about not taking Verlander.

Plus, plus, with Samardzija, I am now keeping Matt Adams over Brett Jackson for my 3rd minor leaguer, so I don't have to go Cubless into the draft. :encouragement:

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        I say just grab Verlander and enjoy. (If you had an open 2B or MI slot, I'd go with Cano.)

Thanks for all you input. I am trying to chime in with advice when I can, but the AL, salaries, contracts, extensions and auctions are so foreign to me, I don't feel like my responses would add much.

Comment

Working...
                        X