Speculate about the Tigers closer here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculate about the Tigers closer here

We've all heard about the huge question mark that is Rondon and the rest of the end of the Detroit Tigers bullpen. Jim Bowden just reported that the Tigers tried to get Huston Street or Luke Gregerson from the Padres in exchange for Rick Porcello but were turned down. They've thought about bringing back the train wreck that is Jose Valverde.

So who do you think they should be targeting via trade? Porcello has been awesome this spring...he might be worth acquiring for a few teams.

Personally, I drafted Drew Storen in the end-game of my NL only with the thought that Soriano would fail/get injured or that he just might end up in Detroit (I would get to keep him for his AL stats til the end of the year).

Care to speculate?

My personal prediction is that on Sept 29 when the Tigers finish their last game of the season the man on their roster with the most saves and a strong hold on the closer job will be this guy:

Comment

I think it will be an internal candidate besides Rondon -- namely either Alburquerque, Coke, Benoit or Dotel. When all is said and done, I think Dotel has the job by May.

Comment

I'll put a nickel on Benoit.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

I'd bet a two cents that Albequerque gets the job and promptly goes back to the DL where he usually resides.

Comment

Throwing a couple bucks on Chris Perez. I like his long odds--could pay off big.
            Procello for Perez would make some sense, especially if the Indians start the season poorly.
            Cleveland has loved the high ground ball guys in the past...

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              My personal prediction is that on Sept 29 when the Tigers finish their last game of the season the man on their roster with the most saves and a strong hold on the closer job will be this guy:

Has Wilson thrown a pitch in anger yet this year?
              "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                Jim Bowden just reported that the Tigers tried to get Huston Street or Luke Gregerson from the Padres in exchange for Rick Porcello but were turned down. They've thought about bringing back the train wreck that is Jose Valverde.
                Am I understand correctly that the Padres turned down a young, solid back of the rotation arm with upside for a middle reliever? I know Porcello has been a bust in relation to expectations, but he is still just 24 and showing signs of improvement. I'm surprised his start has fallen to the point that a swap for Like Geregerson was shot down.

Comment

I'm not surprised. Huston Street is such an injury risk and Gregerson has been pretty fantastic the past few seasons.

If I were the Padres I'd rather send them Street than Gregerson.

Comment

Either way. San Diego should have taken either deal.

Got a feeling Coke gets first shot at saves if they can't bring someone in. And we thought Valverde made things interesting.

Comment

wouldnt a benoit/coke duo work well to keep benoit from pitching many games back to back?
                      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

They have a billion good arms in that pen all capable of closing (Benoit, Alburquerque, Dotel, Villarreal, and Rondon). I'll maybe roster one of them as an MR for good rates and hope I hit the jackpot, but overall I think it's pretty much a crapshoot for this year. I could see any one of those guys leading the team in saves by year's end.

Comment

Rondon sent down to AAA today...kind of surprising. Rotoworld says the four-headed monster of Joaquin Benoit, Phil Coke, Octavio Dotel and Al Alburquerque will share closer duties.

I cant remember a true contending team that went with the committee strategy (maybe the 2010 or 2011 Cardinals?) They have got to make a move, no?

Comment

I don't find it surprising, at all. Rondon did not pitch in a manner which would inspire confidence and needs seasoning.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              I cant remember a true contending team that went with the committee strategy (maybe the 2010 or 2011 Cardinals?) They have got to make a move, no?
                              The Giants went committee during the second half of last year instead of trading for a "proven closer" at the deadline. Maybe the Tigers will implement the old "if you can't beat'em, do what they did when they beat you" strategy.

Comment

Working...
                              X