Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Makes the First Round in a mixed league Straight Draft? Make the tough call!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Makes the First Round in a mixed league Straight Draft? Make the tough call!

Well, I just received my draft pick assignment for the upcoming "Blog Wars" industry draft. I'll be in there against guys from Rotoworld, Rotowire, etc.

I go 5th out of 15. I think we all know who will be the first three to be picked, in one order or another, but where does it go from there?

So, how would you rank your top 15 players, and which one would you reasonably hope for in the #5 hole?

I'm studying it now, and will post my take on this once there are (hopefully) a few responses.

The top 15 from Mock One:

1.01)Erik - Ryan Braun OF - Fiber Makes me Sad
    1.02)joncarlos - Miguel Cabrera 3B - JC's Mockumentarians
    1.03)Piney Boy - Mike Trout OF Piney boy
    1.04) Revo - Matt Kemp OF Revo's Roto Review
    1.05)Hornsby - Andrew McCutchen OF Preachers
    1.06) silentmist - Robinson Cano 2B Silentmist
    1.07)In the Corn - Carlos Gonzalez OF ITC Lumber & Slumber
    1.08)DMT - Albert Pujols 1B DaMosTalent
    1.09)Hammer - Joey Votto 1B Grass Sniffers
    1.10)Weapon1 - Clayton Kershaw SP RotoWeaponry
    1.11)knuckleballs - Prince Fielder 1B Knuckleballs
    1.12) DJ Beasties - Justin Verlander SP DJBeasties
    1.13) BuckyBuckner - Giancarlo Stanton OF Soul of Bing Bong
    1.14)bigjonempire - Bryce Harper OF The Clown Questions
    1.15) Frank - Evan Longoria 3B RAKKASANS IV

I think at #5 you're looking at two of Kemp, McCutchen, and Cano. 1B is deep enough that you don't need to go there just yet.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

My top 5 don't match up with what most projection lists show, but I rank the top 5 as:
      Braun, Cabrera, Kemp, McCutchen, Gonzalez

I'd hope for Kemp at #5 based on how most people are taking their players, but I'd reasonably expect to be able to get McCutchen.

Comment

Yep, can't lose with Kemp or McCutchen.

Comment

Cano. Contract year premium position.

Comment

I would have Trout and Votto in my top 5. Trout could lead the majors in runs even if his OBP dropped to .340.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Okay, some questions...is anyone worried about Kemp's health? You don't want to take much risk with a first round pick.

Any concern over Votto's knee? A little bone-to-bone action will suck the pop right out of your bat.

Cano...great player, but he'll have lesser players than usual surrounding him in the field and in the batting order. If he doesn't get his usual 600+ ABs, his counting stats could suffer, right?

Trout...he could fall a long way from last year and still have an excellent season. History teaches us that players don't repeat seasons like this (or anywhere close to this), especially not 2nd year players. They say not to pay for a level of performance the player has never achieved. Should you wait until he has done it more than once to make him a first rounder? Especially a top five player?

It looks like Mock One was pretty much a chalk play.

Comment

Trout, Braun, Miggy, Cutch... in some order that's my top 4. And probably everyone else's.

With all the questions surrounding the Yankees' lineup (Cano), Votto's ability to hit for monster power and Kemp's health, #5 is a crapshoot. I'm putting Cutch 4 just because I have less questions about him. It's possible that Trout falls to you at 5. If so, do you take him? If my top 4 go 1-4 I am probably taking Cano. The problem isn't the top of the order (2 of Gardner/Ichiro/Jeter) and Youk isn't a horrible #4 hitter. It's 5-9 that are bad for the Yankees. If you want to hit a home run, go with Kemp, who has a much higher ceiling and arguably a similar floor. I just think the one thing he gives you that Cano doesn't is speed, and whenever you take a 30-steal OF like Eaton or Aoki or Pagan, I'm going to like that OF more than the 2B you could take there.

Or just say #)*#$#$ it and take Kershaw.

Comment

I not only would have concerns about Votto's knee, I would have concerns about his anxiety issues. I certainly wouldn't put him in my first round (12).

Kemp might have some risk but his upside is huge. I would be thrilled to have him at 5.

You mention Trout and regression. With all due respect you do not have to worry about that as you will not have the chance to draft him. There is no way he falls to #5. But if he does would it really be a tough choice? Trout vs Cano or Cargo or nicked up Pujols?

After looking at this I kind of like your position.

Comment

I'd take Cano and Cargo ahead of Trout. I probably wouldn't Pujols just because plantar facitis is such a nagging injury. That said, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Pujols has a better fantasy season that Trout as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I not only would have concerns about Votto's knee, I would have concerns about his anxiety issues. I certainly wouldn't put him in my first round (12).

Kemp might have some risk but his upside is huge. I would be thrilled to have him at 5.

You mention Trout and regression. With all due respect you do not have to worry about that as you will not have the chance to draft him. There is no way he falls to #5. But if he does would it really be a tough choice? Trout vs Cano or Cargo or nicked up Pujols?

After looking at this I kind of like your position.
                      Assuming that Braun, Cabrera, and two of Trout-Cano-Votto go, I think I would take Kemp. I would probably be happy to get a pitcher in the first round this year, but I think #5 might be a little high for that. But I'm pretty certain that Kershaw, Verlander, Strasburg, Hamels and Price will be gone before it gets back to me. Probably Cain and Lee, too. So I'll probably just ride hitters for a few more rounds. Maybe grab Kimbrel if he is around in Round 4, which I doubt.

But your implication is correct...I probably would have to grab Trout if he fell to #5. I might trade him before the season started, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                        Assuming that Braun, Cabrera, and two of Trout-Cano-Votto go, I think I would take Kemp. I would probably be happy to get a pitcher in the first round this year, but I think #5 might be a little high for that. But I'm pretty certain that Kershaw, Verlander, Strasburg, Hamels and Price will be gone before it gets back to me. Probably Cain and Lee, too. So I'll probably just ride hitters for a few more rounds. Maybe grab Kimbrel if he is around in Round 4, which I doubt.

But your implication is correct...I probably would have to grab Trout if he fell to #5. I might trade him before the season started, though.
                        I like Kemp then McCutchen better than Cano and Votto as well as any pitcher you listed for that #5 spot.

I like my first rounders to have massive power, speed, and average.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          I was wondering about Votto's knee also since I have the 5th pick in my league and he is available (4 keepers per teams). I checked his ST numbers and he has 2 HRs and 9 RBIs with .387 AVG. I think he knee should be fine to get back to 25 HRs. I don't plan on a monster HR year from him.
                          Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
                            I was wondering about Votto's knee also since I have the 5th pick in my league and he is available (4 keepers per teams). I checked his ST numbers and he has 2 HRs and 9 RBIs with .387 AVG. I think he knee should be fine to get back to 25 HRs. I don't plan on a monster HR year from him.
                            With a keeper league you have to take the best available. If that is Votto than you grab him and hope for the best.

Comment

Braun speculation here, might be worth knowing for you guys who draft soon

Multiple sources said the league has discussed offers of immunity to major league players, though none has been officially offered. The league and union continue to negotiate over the conditions.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X