Faab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faab

My AL league is finally adopting FAAB. I was in a league that had it for 2 years a few years ago but I forget the details.

Our commish said $0 bids are allowed. I don't agree and think $1 should be the minimum. My league had $5 as the min.

Max of 2 pickups per week - I don't remember any limits but this sounds about right.

No bidding on NL players - sounds right.

Your FAAB bid is the price you pay - not $1 more than the next guy. I don't think this is how my other league worked.

Are there 'standard' parameters?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

no way on $0 bids------especially if it's a keeper league

Why the 2 move limit? You have a budget, when you run out of dough---that's it!

FAAB should be the top bid, but some leagues do use Vickrey bidding ($1 more than the #2 bid) and that is fine.
    Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
      My AL league is finally adopting FAAB. I was in a league that had it for 2 years a few years ago but I forget the details.

Our commish said $0 bids are allowed. I don't agree and think $1 should be the minimum. My league had $5 as the min.

Max of 2 pickups per week - I don't remember any limits but this sounds about right.

No bidding on NL players - sounds right.

Your FAAB bid is the price you pay - not $1 more than the next guy. I don't think this is how my other league worked.

Are there 'standard' parameters?
      We allow $0 bids but our FA salaries are based on MLB service time, not FAAB bid amount, unless the FAAB bid exceeds $20, in which case it is the bid amount. We do this to prevent ridiculous inflation when there are too many $1 salaried players, particularly MR's turned Closer during the season.

I don't see any reason for a maximum number of pickups.

I agree your bid is what you pay, regardless of the next highest bidder, not a Vickrey Auction.
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

With our FAAB each person submits a blind bid (not auction) highest gets the player. $25 or over you have to keep the player next year or pay a penalty to drop them. No player under $5 can be kept the next year. FAAB players cannot be extended and only kept one additional year at the aquired price.

Comment

Our commish arbitrarily selected the $0 bid option. It kinda defeats the purpose of having FAAB.
          CBS does not support Vickrey bidding at this time.
          I will challenge him on the 2 player limit.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
            Our commish arbitrarily selected the $0 bid option. It kinda defeats the purpose of having FAAB.
            CBS does not support Vickrey bidding at this time.
            I will challenge him on the 2 player limit.
            Vickery bidding is silly in keeper leagues, but I can understand it in redraft leagues.

Comment

We have $1 minimum, but FAAB only guys arriving from AL during season. It only costs $1 to acquire the guy, regardless of bid (ok, $2 in second half).

A few years back I "lost" hapless twins Ryan Langerhans and Craig Wilson to the AL, and we give extra FAAB $ to match the price of the players lost. I think I had Walker for $2, and Langerhans was a 10-unit FA pickup and I was allowed $5 FAAB for that.

Result was that I got Teixeira since I had the most money.

Ridiculous on so many levels. I would have won the league anyway, and the guy I cut - a bum I had stuck with at $2 for almost two full years - immediately went on a massive tear as soon as I dumped him for Teixeira.

Fella named Nate McLouth, who wound up being kept at 10 units by his new, profit-making owner.

Anyway, my owners love the unpredictability, so what am I gonna do?

Not unusual for 0 to 2 total FAAB bids through the All-Star break, but sometimes a massive frenzy before the trade deadline...
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

We accumulate stats for players traded to the NL so FAAB refunds won't be an issue.

Comment

My main league has a three-transactions-per week limit, which has never been an issue. But it has some odd rules that provide a context for the transaction limit to make more sense than it would in a standard league.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I don't know if your league stresses it, but it is mandatory in my leagues that you maintain a legal active roster, meaning all DL'd, demoted, or traded out of the league players MUST be replaced. If three of these events were to happen in one week, with a 2-transaction limit the owner wouldn't even be able/allowed to make his roster legal. There's really no need for the limit, the budget is the limit, and if a guy wants to blow his whole budget in the first six weeks, so be it.

Also, the $0 dollar bids are not bad, as long as free agents salaries aren't strictly tied to bid amount. If a guy just wants to pick up a scrub to fill a hole and stay legal, if that player is so undesirable as to be able to be obtained with a $0 bid, then I say let the owner have him and save his budget for competitive bidding on the desirable players.

ETA: Another reason for the $0 bids in my league is because it is mandatory you replace illegal players, so we don't want a guy to have burned through all his budget and then get hit with an injury and have no way of acquiring a replacement. In my leagues he can still submit $0 bids for scrubs until he gets one nobody else wants.

You may say "tough sh*t, if he used all his FAAB that's his problem" but that's not really true, if any team has open spots on their active roster, it's a league problem. I might be in a race for the pennant with another owner and Runs is a close category, my competing owner might be gaining in the runs category on that owner who has no budget to replace his injured SS and therefore will not be getting any runs out of his SS position. That sucks for me, through no fault of my own. I want that broke owner to be able to keep his roster active.
                    Last edited by TopChuckie; 03-11-2011, 10:01 AM.
                    Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

We've used faab for years and we LOVE it.

We have no limits on # of bids. Minimum $1.

Our only difference from what I've seen posted is that for keeper purposes, the salary for any FAAB'd player is their faab price + $5. So a $1 faab player would be $6 to keep the following year.

We also have a waiver wire for released players. If a team releases a player, he is on the wire for 2 weeks where teams can just claim him for no faab $. if more than 1 team claims him, he goes to the team lowest in the standings that week (same goes if there happens to be a tie in the faab bidding).
                      -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

"necessary evil" is redundant.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

NR's the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasies. --- Pat Benatar

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        Vickery bidding is silly in keeper leagues, but I can understand it in redraft leagues.
                        Actually I understand the logic. If the league was together and the player came up for bid the winner would get him for $1 more than the second guy was willing to spend.
                        Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                          Actually I understand the logic. If the league was together and the player came up for bid the winner would get him for $1 more than the second guy was willing to spend.
                          Crap, I meant to say $0 bids are silly in keeper leagues, but I understand it in redraft leagues, because salary during the season doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            Crap, I meant to say $0 bids are silly in keeper leagues, but I understand it in redraft leagues, because salary during the season doesn't matter.
                            Agree with cavebird here.

The Rotisserie book set a $5 minimum on FAAB bids, to prevent teams from stocking up on cheap keepers after rosters were expanded in September. We eventually went to $1 eventually, but cut off free agent bidding at the end of August.

I don't think anyone ever heard of $0 bidding until it turned up in an expert league that Shandler was in. It could be a fun toy, I guess in a redraft league, but definitely not a keeper league. Inflation is a bad enough problem in most keeper leagues anyway.

Comment

Working...
                            X