I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help

Hey a couple of buddies sprung a league on me. Now of course i'm going to be the commish. It is an auction league. I've never done an auction league before. Does anyone have any tips on roster size and budget? I've seen the standard budget is $260. I would love to make it a keeper league. I also like the starting 2 C, 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, CI, MI, 5 OF. I need to know how many bench spots I should have and things like this. We usually do head to 6x6 Head to Head. Anyway any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mort

oh and if anyone needs any prospect help feel free to add me on twitter @zachmort i'm pretty fast with responses, and I have scouting reports on pretty much everyone.

Any amount for budge is okay, but $260 is great because that's what most of the sites assume for purposes of player evaluation.

Your roster size is good, but I would add a UT spot. I'd recommend nine pitchers, no matter whether SP, RP or what.

I've never played head to head, so I don't know if you need to have innings minimums or maximums.

Bench spots are up to you. In my "only" keeper league, we used 17 bench spots, many of which were used to stash minor leaguers. We let our contracts age every year, though.

The bench players should be acquired by rotation draft after the auction. So, the auction will give you a full legal roster, and then you build your bench. You can't grab seven outfielders and no catchers in the auction, for example, and plan to grab your catchers in the reserve draft.

Those are the things that jump to mind. Any specifics?

Comment

I do have questions about a couple of minor leaguers, but what is this twitter of which you speak?

Comment

hey that helps a lot. What prospect questions do you have?

Comment

I wouldn't do 2 catchers, that's a rule from the dark ages of roto that is thankfully going by the wayside. Other than that, it looks like you've got it pretty well squared away. How many teams you have will help determine how large you'll want your reserve to be...

BTW, welcome!
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Having two catchers just makes the game a little tougher. Strictly a matter of taste. I played in one league that had only 10 hitters and 8 pitchers. I was fun, too, you just didn't have to dig as deep.

The original idea with Rotisserie (which was "only" NL or AL), was to dig deep into the teams' rosters...to know which fourth outfielder would get 350 ABs...to know which middle infielder might swipe ten bags, etc. But other formats (especially drafts) have become more popular since the early days.

I remember when we were excited every year to get the new "Rotisserie Baseball" book, not just for the sometimes humorous commentary, but to see if there were any new rules changes.

Comment

Catchers are a no win. One is too little, it makes the dollar guys too good. Two is too many, it makes the dollar guys a joke. There is just no win there.

Comment

"I wouldn't do 2 catchers, that's a rule from the dark ages of roto that is thankfully going by the wayside."

says the guy who has bumpers in the bowling lanes and has a saddle on his horse.

"Catchers are a no win."

I have MMontero 15 and ?WRosario 5 returning in NL-only. I thought I was winning...
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I love two catchers. The size of your bench should be relative to the depth of your league. If you're doing 13 team NL-only a smaller bench (unless you just want to draft minor leaguers) but in a ten team mixed you could have 40 man rosters. I prefer rotisserie style myself. But Head 2 Head can be really fun if you're in a league with people you talk to frequently but it does increase the luck factor.

Comment

i also like two catchers. just a bit closer to reality. not that our "fantasy" has to be close to reality, but i like it to be. which is also why i *hugely* prefer OBA to BA. BA is so 1990's.
                    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Working...
                    X