Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have I Improved My 2013 Chances with these Moves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I Improved My 2013 Chances with these Moves?

I've had a busy offseason (trading is my favorite part of the game, but I sometimes do it just to do it with poor results), but my keepers our due tomorrow, and all of my wheeling and dealing in preparation of the 2013 season is finally done, at least until after our auction. I've made so many moves that I've asked for help about individually here, I wanted to take a final look at all of the moves collectively, and get feedback on whether I improved my team for 2013, or whether trading fever just left me with comparable or inferior talent than what I started with.

There were a lot of other factors involved in these moves such as salaries, contract lengths, and minor leaguers, but because I'm going for it all this year, all I really care about is, did I clearly improve my team for 2013? So, the only things that matter, besides the names below, is that I picked up $11 in auction money in these deals, my league is a 14 team mixed league, and I probably gave a little more long term value than I got back, so I'm hoping that that translates into my current keepers being at least a little better for 2013.

Keepers I traded:

Mike Napoli
    Eric Hosmer
    Ike Davis
    Adrian Beltre
    GianCarlo Stanton
    Jonathan Niese
    Ian Kennedy
    Rafeal Betancourt

Keepers I traded for (I also picked up $11 auction dollars by making these deals)

Carlos Santana
    Joey Votto
    Ian Desmond
    Chase Headley
    Jay Bruce
    Alex Rios
    John Axford
    Rafael Soriano

So, is the second list clearly better than the first? Is it a wash? Or did I actually hurt my 2013 chances?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-13-2013, 06:55 PM.

Hmmm...interesting thoughts as I read through your lists. A bit of an emotional roller coaster for me as I project these things as if it were my team.

Without going through all of the math. I think you improved your team mostly because I am not a Kennedy fan and I like to go in with a closer or two.

I think Headly regresses but is still good. I like Desmond this year. If Votto stays healthy and Ike only improves a little bit without taking the giant step forward that some project, you will be in even better shape. Add the $11 dollars to your budget and you come out ahead. If they did not wreck the team around Stanton this might be a different conversation. But then again you probably wouldn't have traded him.

So while I am not convinced that you took a giant step forward, you did improve over all. Now just make sure to use that $11 wisely.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
      I've had a busy offseason (trading is my favorite part of the game, but I sometimes do it just to do it with poor results), but my keepers our due tomorrow, and all of my wheeling and dealing in preparation of the 2013 season is finally done, at least until after our auction. I've made so many moves that I've asked for help about individually here, I wanted to take a final look at all of the moves collectively, and get feedback on whether I improved my team for 2013, or whether trading fever just left me with comparable or inferior talent than what I started with.

There were a lot of other factors involved in these moves such as salaries, contract lengths, and minor leaguers, but because I'm going for it all this year, all I really care about is, did I clearly improve my team for 2013? So, the only things that matter, besides the names below, is that I picked up $11 in auction money in these deals, my league is a 14 team mixed league, and I probably gave a little more long term value than I got back, so I'm hoping that that translates into my current keepers being at least a little better for 2013.

Keepers I traded:

Mike Napoli
      Eric Hosmer
      Ike Davis
      Adrian Beltre
      GianCarlo Stanton
      Jonathan Niese
      Ian Kennedy
      Rafeal Betancourt

Keepers I traded for (I also picked up $11 auction dollars by making these deals)

Carlos Santana
      Joey Votto
      Ian Desmond
      Chase Headley
      Jay Bruce
      Alex Rios
      John Axford
      Rafael Soriano

So, is the second list clearly better than the first? Is it a wash? Or did I actually hurt my 2013 chances?
      Yes definitely. Especially getting back $11.

Comment

Giancarlo > Votto
        Santana > Napoli
        Headley << Beltre
        Bruce >> Ike
        Desmond < Hosmer

Axford ~ IPK
        Rios < Niese
        Soriano >>> Betancourt

So I think you're slightly ahead talent-wise and you have $11 more to spend.

Comment

lesseee

Carlos Santana > Mike Napoli
          Alex Rios >> Eric Hosmer
          Jay Bruce > Ike Davis
          Adrian Beltre > Chase Headley = slightly in Beltre's favor
          Joey Votto -GianCarlo Stanton = wash
          Rafael Soriano > Jonathan Niese
          Ian Desmond >>>> Ian Kennedy
          John Axford > Rafeal Betancourt

you did good, kid!

Comment