AL Only keeper question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL Only keeper question...

It's a 12 team, AL mono league and some of the rules are a little odd, IMO. I have Chris Archer, who's already been sent down, but I can't slide him into my minor leagues despite the fact that he's only pitched 29 innings in the bigs. So if I want to keep him, I have to keep him on my major league roster for the duration...

So the question is do I go with the upside and keep Archer at 5 bucks? Or keep a 4 buck Sean Doolittle who's probably going to help me with K's and ratios. Thanks in advance...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Crap, wrong forum...mods, can you move this please? Thanks...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Think we only have the 1 forum now. FWIW, I have been projecting you keep him at $5. Considering the strength of your team keeping him makes a lot more sense to me as he can return via trade a lot more value than Doolittle and he's likely to be contributing good starts right after the Super 2 deadline.

Comment

I agree with bigtymer. I think he is too valuable as a trade chip to let him go.

If you toss him back can he be purchased at auction? The only other thing you could do is get him back at $7 or whatever with a new contract.

Comment

I would assume (if dropped) Archer would only be eligible via our minor league draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            It's a 12 team, AL mono league and some of the rules are a little odd, IMO. I have Chris Archer, who's already been sent down, but I can't slide him into my minor leagues despite the fact that he's only pitched 29 innings in the bigs. So if I want to keep him, I have to keep him on my major league roster for the duration...

So the question is do I go with the upside and keep Archer at 5 bucks? Or keep a 4 buck Sean Doolittle who's probably going to help me with K's and ratios. Thanks in advance...
            Just curious, but why can't you slide him into your minors? Did you activate him last season and he got counting stats for you? I would think that if you threw him back in and he was only available in the minor league draft, that you would be able to take him in on your minors. Doesn't make sense. Maybe your league doesn't use the mlb rookie status AB's (130) and inng's pitched (50) before their clock starts?

I would also take him in if I was forced to, not knowing how your minor league draft works

Comment

Once you activate a player in this league you cannot shuttle them to your minors regardless of eligibility. Thus, teams take a big risk by activating players who are under the limit as they lose roster flexibility. While he "could" try and reacquire him in the minor league draft, the chances of that happening (more context than I'll write here) are probably not too likely.

Comment

Well I just made the decision easier for Hornsby as I just traded James Paxton (who he can keep in his minors) for his Archer. Woo-hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                  Once you activate a player in this league you cannot shuttle them to your minors regardless of eligibility. Thus, teams take a big risk by activating players who are under the limit as they lose roster flexibility. While he "could" try and reacquire him in the minor league draft, the chances of that happening (more context than I'll write here) are probably not too likely.
                  My question would be if you threw him back and he lost his fantasy minor league eligibility, would you be allowed to bid on him in the Auction?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                    My question would be if you threw him back and he lost his fantasy minor league eligibility, would you be allowed to bid on him in the Auction?
                    Frae commishes this league so he's probably best positioned to answer this but I'd suspect if for some reason he wasn't able to be drafted again as a minor league FARM player (separate draft from auction) then he'd be FAAB only.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                      Frae commishes this league so he's probably best positioned to answer this but I'd suspect if for some reason he wasn't able to be drafted again as a minor league FARM player (separate draft from auction) then he'd be FAAB only.
                      So there are players who are eligible in this league that you: (A) cannot draft at auction; and (B) cannot draft at the minor league draft? That's weird.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                        So there are players who are eligible in this league that you: (A) cannot draft at auction; and (B) cannot draft at the minor league draft? That's weird.
                        Yeah, it's got some very arcane rules...and I didn't/don't know them well enough to avoid the pitfalls that sometimes happen. So in this case, I made a deal last year where I acquired Archer, I assume that his previous owner had activated him and I didn't pay any attention. So this year when it matters, I had to make that tough decision and deal Archer off for 75 cents on the dollar. I don't mind Paxton, and think that he'll be fine in an only league, but I think that Archer might be special.

So I keep Doolittle, get some K's and hopefully a few saves, and move forward.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          but I think that Archer might be special.
                          Our boy Paul seems to be a big fan so that's enough for me

Comment

Working...
                          X