Trade McCutchen for Verlander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade McCutchen for Verlander?

Mixed keeper league, I was offered Verlander $35 and Carlos Ruiz $6 for McCutchen $35 and Shelby Miller (minors).

My projected keepers going in are very hitting heavy:

OF McCutchen 35
    OF Harper 15
    OF Bautista 15
    OF Gordon 10
    OF Pagan 9
    1B Butler 21
    3B Longoria 20
    SS A.Cabrera 2
    CI G.Jones 1
    SP Wainwright 2

But the nice thing about Shelby Miller is that I’d get to keep him on a minor league deal (not cutting into my 10 keepers), whereas if I trade for Verlander and Ruiz, I’d presumably need to drop one of my current keepers (or just drop Ruiz, who will miss most of April to a PED suspension).

I'd pass.

Verlander is an absolutely stud, but so is McCutchen and I'd pick McCutchen first in a scratch draft. Not to mention you're giving up Miller too.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      I'd pass.

Verlander is an absolutely stud, but so is McCutchen and I'd pick McCutchen first in a scratch draft. Not to mention you're giving up Miller too.
      Yeah, that's how I'm leaning. We don't announce keepers until very late so I'm unsure how many stud SPs will be available and how big the markup will be, but if I stay with my current list, I'll obviously be spending big for pitching at the auction.

Comment

Straight up, I'd consider it but probably pass. No way I'd do it if I had to throw in Miller too.

Comment

agree all around. I'd rather have the hitter in a vacuum.

Comment

I rejected and he counter-offered the straight-up Cutch for Verlander deal. It sounds like most of you guys would still pass, even given my hitting-heavy keeper list?

Comment

unless every top 10 starter is off the board, I wouldnt.

Comment

The only way I would do the counter is if the top 15 starters were kept. It is better to buy pitching in auctions than stud hitters. Unless of course there are no starters to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  The only way I would do the counter is if the top 15 starters were kept. It is better to buy pitching in auctions than stud hitters. Unless of course there are no starters to buy.
                  Basically, Felix, Hamels and Gio Gonzalez will definitely be available, because their contracts expired, and Cliff Lee, Halladay, Weaver, Sabathia and Lincecum probably won't be kept at their prices.

Comment

Pass again.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      Basically, Felix, Hamels and Gio Gonzalez will definitely be available, because their contracts expired, and Cliff Lee, Halladay, Weaver, Sabathia and Lincecum probably won't be kept at their prices.
                      I have a feeling you could add Verlander to the list of unkept pitchers if you refused.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        I have a feeling you could add Verlander to the list of unkept pitchers if you refused.
                        That would be a surprise, since Halladay and Lee both went for over $40 last year.

Comment

Working...
                        X