Trading Papelbon at $29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading Papelbon at $29

Hey all, here's the deal. 5x5 (OBP rather than AVG), NL-Only, 12 teams, $280 cap (with 25, rather than 23, extra UT and extra P spot). I have a $29 Papelbon that I don't really want to keep. Not that many people want to keep him either, so there has been limited interest. I've been offered a bunch of different deals, and I'm not 100% sold on any of them, but wanted to run them by the penners and see if anything jumped out as something I should go for. All contracts are beginning their 2nd year unless otherwise noted.

Option 1: Papelbon at $29 and Kyle Blanks at $1 for Gregor Blanco at $10 and Brad Brach at $2

Option 2: Papelbon at $29 and Chris Capuano at $5 (due extension) for Scott Hairston at $10.

Option 3: Papelbon at $29 and Jesus Guzman at $3 (due extension) for Scott Hairston at $10.

Option 4: Papelbon at $29, Guzman at $3 (due extension) and Blanks at $1 for Scott Hairston at $10 and Josh Bell, MLE at $2

Option 5: Papelbon at $29 and Alexei Amarista at $3 for Jeff Karstens at $4 (waiver pickup, so commencing his first year) and Jordany Valdespin at $5

Of course, I can always just keep Papelbon, but as I said, I'm not in love with the idea, since I'll need to acquire a lot of hitting in the auction and chewing up $29 on a closer is not really helpful.

Below are my potential keepers (including those on the borderline who I may not keep):

S. Strasburg- $18
    J. Samardzija- $7 or $12
    M. Harvey- $5
    W. Rodriguez- $10
    T. Wood- $5
    C. Capuano- $5
    L. Gregerson- $2
    M. Belisle- $1
    R. Tejada- $1
    M. Kemp- $54
    J. Guzman - $3
    K. Blanks - $1
    C. Johnson - $3
    J. Kelly- $3
    J. Papelbon- $29

Sorry for the length of this post. Thanks in advance for the opinions!

Do you have to keep him or can you throw him back? All these deals involve you giving up a $29 Paps *plus* someone of actual value.

Blanks suddenly looks good so he might be a keeper. I don't love Hairston at $10. If I was forced to keep Paps I might take deal #5. Even if I wasn't forced to keep Paps, that's the only one I'd do. Valdespin sucks at OBP but Karstens should get you 150 solid innings.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
      Do you have to keep him or can you throw him back? All these deals involve you giving up a $29 Paps *plus* someone of actual value.

Blanks suddenly looks good so he might be a keeper. I don't love Hairston at $10. If I was forced to keep Paps I might take deal #5. Even if I wasn't forced to keep Paps, that's the only one I'd do. Valdespin sucks at OBP but Karstens should get you 150 solid innings.
      I don't have to keep him, I can certainly throw him back. But, if any of these deals actually provide me with some value, I figured it was worth a shot to ship him somewhere.

Thanks, JC...

Comment

If you did make a deal, I'd take #5 -- I think Valdespin breaks out this season.

Comment

I don't like any of the deals, none of the players you're getting back seem keepable in your format unless you believe in Valdespin (pinch-hit homers inflated his stats from last year).

ETA: I wouldn't keep Papelbon either, that's too much money for a closer that might be on the decline.

Comment

Working...
          X