Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with an NL-only Auction

Hey guys,

I accepted an invitation to participate in a minor "experts" league which is NL-only. I know much more about the AL than the NL. Plus I'm a little worried since I recognize a lot of other guys in the league, and I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

It's an auction, which I feel more comfortable about, but the NL looks pretty scary.

I know it's a broad question, but are there any tips you guys can give me in prep for this upcoming auction?

Thanks!

Stick to your values, but don't get married to them. If you want a guy, or he's the last good player in a tier, it's OK to go a couple bucks over value. But don't go $40 for a guy you have listed at $20.

Try to keep an eye on the auction dynamics. There will be high points (where players go higher than expected) and low points (where players go cheaper than expected).

If you have any expectation that the league will be active in trading, then just let the value come to you and don't worry about the categories. Try to buy guys at good prices whenever you can.

You're probably more comfortable with the "name" players, guys over $5 or so. If so, then you might want to try to avoid dollar days. You might have to keep away from the super studs a little bit and get a slightly flatter roster to avoid having six $1 guys you haven't heard of.

Comment

If available, you might ask to see the results from last year's auction, to get an idea of tendencies as far as which positions and categories tend to draw more money and which less, as well what type of players they fill the end of their rosters out with--assuming the rules permit it, studs likely to be sent to the minors but when they come up could be immediated contributors, like Hamilton and Taveras, or bench guys. A couple of differences between the NL and AL.

The NL lately has worse teams, though sending the Astros to the AL will help balance that out. In the past I've paid more for studs in the NL, because the free agent list will be livelier during the season with teams bringing up guys from the minors.

Remember the pitching differences. A bad pitcher in the AL can kill you; in the NL, because they don't pitch to DH's every day, there's less risk in reaching down and taking a 4th or 5th starter, particularly in the pitching parks, which the NL seems to have a few more of than the AL.

Comment

Good tips, thanks.

Any specific guys I should favor or avoid? I'm not asking you to give up secrets if you have league mates here in the Pen.

Comment

Working...
        X