Keeper Advice Please and Thank You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeper Advice Please and Thank You

I have to get down to 12 keepers plus 3 minor leaguers by March 27. Numbered players are those I'm leaning to keep. Bold, italicized players are those I'm thinking of throwing back.

Keep an extra pitcher instead of Logan Morrison? Which one? Consider Garza's health, Kenley and Drew Storen's closer roles, LoMo's knee, Rutledge repeat, Estrada sleeperness, other?

C
    C
    1-1B Votto
    2-2B Aaron Hill
    3-SS Tulo
    3B
    4-CI Ike Davis
    5-MI Josh Rutledge
    UT
    6-Allen Craig
    7-OF Dexter Fowler
    8-OF Michael Cuddyer
    9-OF Logan Morrison
    OF

10-SP Trevor Cahill
    SP Matt Garza
    SP Marco Estrada

11-RP Sergio Romo
    12-RP Steve Cishek
    RP Kenley Jansen

1-Minors Oscar Tavares
    2-Minors Brett Jackson
    3-Minors Carlos Martinez (StL P)
    Minors Matt Adams

I would toss Garza and Morrison.

Comment

Yeah, I'd agree with schlesinj, there's simply not enough information about their injuries to make me comfortable about keeping either one. Estrada has good upside, and Jansen is likely to get double-digit saves, plus the other benefits he gives you.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Barnie View Post
        I have to get down to 12 keepers plus 3 minor leaguers by March 27. Numbered players are those I'm leaning to keep. Bold, italicized players are those I'm thinking of throwing back.

Keep an extra pitcher instead of Logan Morrison? Which one? Consider Garza's health, Kenley and Drew Storen's closer roles, LoMo's knee, Rutledge repeat, Estrada sleeperness, other?

C
        C
        1-1B Votto
        2-2B Aaron Hill
        3-SS Tulo
        3B
        4-CI Ike Davis
        5-MI Josh Rutledge
        UT
        6-Allen Craig
        7-OF Dexter Fowler
        8-OF Michael Cuddyer
        9-OF Logan Morrison
        OF

10-SP Trevor Cahill
        SP Matt Garza
        SP Marco Estrada

11-RP Sergio Romo
        12-RP Steve Cishek
        RP Kenley Jansen

1-Minors Oscar Tavares
        2-Minors Brett Jackson
        3-Minors Carlos Martinez (StL P)
        Minors Matt Adams

Bearin' up!

Comment

Yeah, attractiveness of Garza and Morrison will be depressed, so if you have a hunch they'll go late in the action.

your sig says 9-team NL-only, so I wonder if Garza will ever get picked short of a reserve round. Is Estrada worth keeping in a 9-team league? not sure of all your parameters. and sig says 3 keepers but you are talking about 12

and welcome to the boards
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I would keep only Jansen of your bold italics guys. That would get you down to 12.

But what do you do about your three minor league freezes? I would keep Adams over Martinez. Martinez is an exciting bundle of potential and question marks, but Adams has shown he can hit major league pitching, and could be a big factor this year.

Comment

I think Martinez has more trade value, and that Adams might first either spend a couple of MLB seasons as a caddie, or get traded to AL.

I guess we'd agree that it would be nice if he could get something in a trade of one of them...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

NL Keeper Advice Please and Thank You

Sorry, my bad on the sig line. I have now corrected it to 12+3 minors keepers. Will note NL/AL in title in the future. And thanks for the welcomes too!

So keeping Kenley over LoMo makes a lot of sense. Last year he helped a lot even before getting saves. Of course that means I start the season with two and a half closers and, knowing closers like we all do, could be down to zero by mid-June. But Kenley has a chance of being an elite closer whereas LoMo will never be an elite anything and could be a bust by mid June too.

Leaning Carlos Martinez over Matt Adams because that Cardinal lineup is going to be hard to crack anytime soon. I like Adams a lot though.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnie View Post
                  Sorry, my bad on the sig line. I have now corrected it to 12+3 minors keepers. Will note NL/AL in title in the future. And thanks for the welcomes too!

So keeping Kenley over LoMo makes a lot of sense. Last year he helped a lot even before getting saves. Of course that means I start the season with two and a half closers and, knowing closers like we all do, could be down to zero by mid-June. But Kenley has a chance of being an elite closer whereas LoMo will never be an elite anything and could be a bust by mid June too.

Leaning Carlos Martinez over Matt Adams because that Cardinal lineup is going to be hard to crack anytime soon. I like Adams a lot though.
                  As much as I like hitting over pitching, I'd go with Martinez as well. He profiles as an elite starter while Adams is currently blocked for regular PT, and may not have a spot for a while, if ever.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

oh, good catch, el diablo. I'd keep Adams over a boring Brett Jackson, too...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      oh, good catch, el diablo. I'd keep Adams over a boring Jackson, too...
                      Just like you, JJ, choose the Federalist over the Democrat.

I agree with the rest:
                      Jansen over Morrison
                      Adams over Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        oh, good catch, el diablo. I'd keep Adams over a boring Brett Jackson, too...
                        Jackson's a lot of things, but boring isn't one of them. If he gets his swing straightened out, he's a legit 10/20 or better guy...and he's likely to have a much clearer path to the bigs and playing time than Adams does. Sveum really seems to like him, and so far this spring he's hitting OK, and he's really only got DeJesus standing in his way.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I agree with the majority advice so far about your major league keepers, including Jansen over Morrison. I'm not sure the debate about Jackson vs Adams matters all the much as I don't think either will end up ever cracking your top 12 keepers in a 12 team mixed league. I have to think there are better long term options available for you to pursue. In a shallow league, go for high ceilings, even if they are farther away from helping you (as you have with Taveres and Martinez). But of the two, I'd go with Jackson, because you are likely to see if he's fixed his swing and is able to make contact now quickly. If not, drop him for someone better. If he has, well, the rest of his game is there, so he can help you right away.

Comment

Sour, our league is an NL league that is experimenting this year with adding a max of 3 AL players. We can only keep 12 NL players plus 3 NL minor leaguers from season to season.

But thank you all for your advice. Now keeping Kenley over Logan Morrison for sure. So, I pay back by offering my opinions on other threads, right?

Still undecided about which minor leaguer to throw back; Brett Jackson or Matt Adams. There seems to be a split opinion regarding those two. Another possibility is to throw back Carlos Martinez and keep the three hitters. Maybe I'll start a new thread for that decision.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                            I agree with the majority advice so far about your major league keepers, including Jansen over Morrison. I'm not sure the debate about Jackson vs Adams matters all the much as I don't think either will end up ever cracking your top 12 keepers in a 12 team mixed league. I have to think there are better long term options available for you to pursue. In a shallow league, go for high ceilings, even if they are farther away from helping you (as you have with Taveres and Martinez). But of the two, I'd go with Jackson, because you are likely to see if he's fixed his swing and is able to make contact now quickly. If not, drop him for someone better. If he has, well, the rest of his game is there, so he can help you right away.

Comment

you probably don't need a new thread - just ask that one here

"So, I pay back by offering my opinions on other threads, right?"

that's the ticket!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                              X