Keeper Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeper Help

Need some last minute keeper advice - small 10 team league with larger rosters than normal so it plays a little bigger than that. $300 budget, 6x6 (extra cats - OPS and QS)

We can keep up to 10 and I feel like I have a quality 13 to 14 potential keepers (and not a lot of trade options)

My potential keepers:
    C - Yadier Molina - $3 - 1 year left
    1B - Hosmer - $5 - 1 year left
    2B - Pedroia - $21 - last year
    2B - Phillips - $10 - 1 year left
    SS - Andrus - $5 - last year
    3B - Beltre - $12 - last year
    IF - MCAB - $45 - 1 year left
    OF - Jay Bruce - $19 - last year

SP - Cueto - $5 - last year
    SP - Scherzer - $5 - 1 year left
    SP - Sale - $1 - 1 year left
    SP - Morrow - $4 - 1 year left
    RP - Jim Johnson $1 - 1 year left
    RP - Vinny Pestano - $1 - 1 year left

- I have an offer on the table MCab for Wil Myers ($5, 2 years left) but don't think I'll do that
    - I wasn't planning on keeping either Hosmer or Pestano but Hosmer's hot spring has led me to question that and Perez's injury has led me to think about keeping Pestano
    - Should I throw back one of my cheap pitchers or roll into the auction with my pitching nearly set?
    - Who would you throw back?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Sam View Post
    Need some last minute keeper advice - small 10 team league with larger rosters than normal so it plays a little bigger than that. $300 budget, 6x6 (extra cats - OPS and QS)

We can keep up to 10 and I feel like I have a quality 13 to 14 potential keepers (and not a lot of trade options)

- I have an offer on the table MCab for Wil Myers ($5, 2 years left) but don't think I'll do that
    - I wasn't planning on keeping either Hosmer or Pestano but Hosmer's hot spring has led me to question that and Perez's injury has led me to think about keeping Pestano
    - Should I throw back one of my cheap pitchers or roll into the auction with my pitching nearly set?
    - Who would you throw back?
    Thanks!
    I would not do MCab for Wil Myers. You've got a roster who can win this year, I love Myers but in a 10 team league there are plenty of OF available.

I like Pestano a lot and he should get some saves early in the season and could potentially keep the role, but at the end of the day he profiles as an MR in a 10 team Mixed league. I love him, but there isn't room to keep him. I'd target him in the AH though if he's cheap.

Hosmer is a nice piece, but given your keeper depth and the fact you are keeping two 3B I'd let him go as well.

I know Molina is a good player, but in a 10 team league I'd toss him back given your list of available options.

Cutting the 11th guy is where this gets challenging for me. Jay Bruce is going to be pretty close to value in a 10 team league and Morrow is good, but the easiest cut of your remaining pitchers. Normally I'd go for the hitter over the pitcher, but in your case I actually think I'd keep Morrow since he has the extra year, release Bruce back into the fold knowing that you can probably get him for a $5 increase at most and end up resetting his contract.

So...I'd keep:
    IF - Cabrera - $45 - 1 year left

You enter the auction with no OF at all, but that doesn't trouble me too much in a 10 team league especially considering you hold two of the best 3B and 2B and the trade market should be strong for you. My auction strategy would be toss out players at 2B and 3B (Wright, Cano, Hill, Zimmerman etc) early before you lock up your UTIL slot and let your league mates spend some of their money on those positions ideally before your OF targets pop up.

Comment

Thanks Stephen! I agree with most of what you said. I was actually thinking about sending Pedroia back and keeping Bruce since I would still have Phillips to play 2B. Or maybe I keep Pedroia and not Phillips and then keep Bruce or drop Phillips and Bruce and keep one of the others?

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      I would not do MCab for Wil Myers. You've got a roster who can win this year, I love Myers but in a 10 team league there are plenty of OF available.

I like Pestano a lot and he should get some saves early in the season and could potentially keep the role, but at the end of the day he profiles as an MR in a 10 team Mixed league. I love him, but there isn't room to keep him. I'd target him in the AH though if he's cheap.

Hosmer is a nice piece, but given your keeper depth and the fact you are keeping two 3B I'd let him go as well.

I know Molina is a good player, but in a 10 team league I'd toss him back given your list of available options.

Cutting the 11th guy is where this gets challenging for me. Jay Bruce is going to be pretty close to value in a 10 team league and Morrow is good, but the easiest cut of your remaining pitchers. Normally I'd go for the hitter over the pitcher, but in your case I actually think I'd keep Morrow since he has the extra year, release Bruce back into the fold knowing that you can probably get him for a $5 increase at most and end up resetting his contract.

So...I'd keep:
      IF - Cabrera - $45 - 1 year left

You enter the auction with no OF at all, but that doesn't trouble me too much in a 10 team league especially considering you hold two of the best 3B and 2B and the trade market should be strong for you. My auction strategy would be toss out players at 2B and 3B (Wright, Cano, Hill, Zimmerman etc) early before you lock up your UTIL slot and let your league mates spend some of their money on those positions ideally before your OF targets pop up.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Thanks Stephen! I agree with most of what you said. I was actually thinking about sending Pedroia back and keeping Bruce since I would still have Phillips to play 2B. Or maybe I keep Pedroia and not Phillips and then keep Bruce or drop Phillips and Bruce and keep one of the others?
        If you really want to keep Bruce I don't think it'd be awful to toss back Pedroia or Phillips, I just think they are better values for you. I'm not sure how inflation is in your league but do you see Bruce going for more than say $23-$24? If not, I'd rather have the flexibility and the two stud 2Bs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          If you really want to keep Bruce I don't think it'd be awful to toss back Pedroia or Phillips, I just think they are better values for you. I'm not sure how inflation is in your league but do you see Bruce going for more than say $23-$24? If not, I'd rather have the flexibility and the two stud 2Bs.
          Good point - inflation isn't terrible so I don't think Bruce would go for more than that.

Comment

I would cut these four:

Pedroia & Bruce - both in their last year and probably close to auction values. And Phillips provides similar skills for half the price of Pedroia at 2B.

Hosmer - mostly a gut feeling here, but at age 23, i don't think Hosmer is ready to take that next step toward becoming an all-star just yet. He looked totally lost last year and i only see him making small improvements this year. For a little more money, you can probably get someone a lot more dependable at 1B.

Pestano - even if the Indians do prefer Pestano at closer, i think they let Perez keep the job for at least four months to keep his trade value high. Pestano is too much of a gamble for saves and you have less risky options.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks Madducks - leaning towards cutting Hosmer, Pestano and Pedroia and then figuring out the 4th spot between Bruce, Molina and Morrow.

Originally posted by madducks View Post
              I would cut these four:

Pedroia & Bruce - both in their last year and probably close to auction values. And Phillips provides similar skills for half the price of Pedroia at 2B.

Hosmer - mostly a gut feeling here, but at age 23, i don't think Hosmer is ready to take that next step toward becoming an all-star just yet. He looked totally lost last year and i only see him making small improvements this year. For a little more money, you can probably get someone a lot more dependable at 1B.

Pestano - even if the Indians do prefer Pestano at closer, i think they let Perez keep the job for at least four months to keep his trade value high. Pestano is too much of a gamble for saves and you have less risky options.

Comment

Working...
              X