trading ethics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trading ethics

One of my leagues has a rule that many other leagues have, where if you have a guy who still has rookie status (under 150 AB/50 IP in the majors) and who has never been active for any roto team, their contract is handled differently. We represent that with an (R) next to their contract amount on the web site. That tends not to be updated until just before the next season, and hasn't been yet for this year.

I was offered a trade where the other person asked for one of a couple of players from me. I am pretty sure he's asking specifically for an R player, but not completely sure. One of the guys he's asking about is Matt Harvey, who instead of being able to be hidden on the bench is going to be $10 on the active roster for the auction.

I think this is a pretty good deal I'm being offered. I think I might feel like a jerk if I don't mention it to the other guy, but on the other hand I would feel like it was my responsibility to check that if I was going to make an offer for someone, so I wouldn't be angry at the other owner if someone got me with this.

I've already made my decision, but what would you do? It's a league of nice people but nobody that I actually know beyond their email address, and the guy in question isn't a member here (afaik) if that makes any difference.

p.s. to umjewman: this isn't about you, but you probably ought to know this also. On the other hand, Harvey has looked very good in spring training and you're probably a massive Mets homer and an Amway salesman just because they opened a store at the ballpark, so I doubt it bothers you too much.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

If I had reason to believe that a potential trading partner was under the wrong impression regarding the eligibility of the player, I would let him know.

Comment

I think i would mention it as well
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I would mention it as well. You may not get the deal done, but the other owner will appreciate the honesty and be more apt to work with you in the future. If you burn a bridge now you may not be able to build it back.
        Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
        Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

This is one of those things that I struggle with in fantasy baseball.

The owners who win consistently every year are likely the ones who say, "It's an owner's job to know what they are trading for. It isn't my job to run my team and his team." I completely agree with this notion too. It's hard to buy and sell a player a the same time.

Unfortunately, I have to sleep at night so I tend to tell people.

Comment

I depends on league context. I'm in a couple of leagues where I would just assume they knew what they were doing and it's 100% buyer beware. And I'm also in a league where I would assuredly tell.

Comment

yes, depends on league dynamic.
              also, it's 130 AB, not 150....
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I just told a guy that Archer wasn't free this year. He thanked me, then nixed the deal.

Now the amazing thing to me is that he would think I would take what he offered if Archer had not lost his rookie status.

I have no regrets. It was the right thing to do.

Comment

The ethical thing to do is forget that other trade and deal him to me.

And for the record, my résumé is still under consideration with Amway. No formal employment yet...

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                    I depends on league context. I'm in a couple of leagues where I would just assume they knew what they were doing and it's 100% buyer beware. And I'm also in a league where I would assuredly tell.
                    I agree with Dane on this.

Fantasy baseball is a competitive activity where we are trying to win. In some instances you increase your chance to win by being cut-throat and in other instances building bridges will further your ability to succeed. League history would play into this heavily.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
                      I agree with Dane on this.

Fantasy baseball is a competitive activity where we are trying to win. In some instances you increase your chance to win by being cut-throat and in other instances building bridges will further your ability to succeed. League history would play into this heavily.
                      fantasy baseball is cut-throat - really?

fantasy baseball is nerdy, fun, ridiculous, played by 40 year old men, silly, brilliant, something that drives wives and girlfriends crazy, a fun diversion, a game for people who are cooler that civil war re-enactors, sociable

got any more?

Comment

the trade offer I have to you in your inbox is on the up and up

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          fantasy baseball is cut-throat - really?

fantasy baseball is nerdy, fun, ridiculous, played by 40 year old men, silly, brilliant, something that drives wives and girlfriends crazy, a fun diversion, a game for people who are cooler that civil war re-enactors, sociable

got any more?
                          Couldn't agree more...always be honest. A lie of ommision is still a lie, no matter how you cut it.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Couldn't agree more...always be honest. A lie of ommision is still a lie, no matter how you cut it.
                            I don't think it's necessarily a lie of omission. the info is out there and the guy who is making the offer should have researched it, but I'd still say something.
                            I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I agree with pretty much everyone else. Let him know you like the offer but that Harvey isn't an R player just to make sure he still wants to do it. If you get a bad reputation no one will deal with you in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X