2k13: Fernando Rodney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k13: Fernando Rodney

I felt compelled to post this after watching him in the WBC tonight.

How does a career mediocrity have one of the greatest seasons by a closer in MLB history completely out of nowhere-- at age 35, no less? Yeah, he once saved 37 games, but if you compare those two seasons, they're night and day.

His BB% plummeted out of nowhere, it seems. His 1.8 BB% is almost HALF his prior season low. Heck, in '11 his BB% was 7.6/9 IP!! His BB/K ratio was by far the highest of his career, and not even close: 5.07, next best is 2.57.

While he never gave up too many HRs, his H% and BB% plunged to seemingly unsustainable levels.

I was born in NYC, so I'm naturally a skeptic. I ain't buying. He's being drafted as an elite option at closer, when he should be looked at as a potential disaster.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a 3.50+ ERA or perhaps a loss of his job altogether. Unless, of course, we're not privvvy to what may be really going on here.......

I read somewhere that last year he changed whichever side (left/right?) of the rubber he threw from. Obviously with great results.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      I read somewhere that last year he changed whichever side (left/right?) of the rubber he threw from. Obviously with great results.
      yes, this was the case http://theprocessreport.wordpress.co...o-rodney-rays/

visual form

Comment

The Rays are really good at fixing people. Will he stay fixed? That's the big question. They have a lot of capable arms and he's signed cheap, but he was SOOOO good last year that even a 30% regression is probably good enough to keep the job. And they have some (small, medium, who knows) financial incentive to keep McGee in the 8th and not let saves drive up his arb price, so really F-Rod just has to outpitch Farnsy, Peralta, not Fausto and Jamey Wright, unless they decide to make Archer a reliever or something crazy like that.

Comment

If Rodney can repeat his save total next year for the Rays, he would be just 5 saves short of the franchise record!

That has nothing to do with Rodney's success in 2013, but it is pretty darn interesting.

Comment

Fun fact: The Phillies' franchise record for saves (102) is held by... Jose Mesa.

Not Tug McGraw, not Jim Konstanty, not Steve Bedrosian, not Mitch Williams, not Billy Wagner, not Brad Lidge. Jose Freakin' Mesa.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

i'm watching rodney pitch in the WBC right now. just walked in a run.

i had forgotten that every time i see him pitch i just want to reach into the TV and straighten out his freakin' hat.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

watching the WBC tonight. rally plantain?!? really?!? that's some strange shizzle right there...

ETA: lols - he's got it stuffed in his pants. "is that a rally plaintain in your pants or are you just happy to see me."
                Last edited by bryanbutler; 03-18-2013, 11:05 PM.
                "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

The best tweet from last night was something like: Previously Rodney had his rally plantain in the center of his paints, since he shifted it to the left he has had much greater success.

Comment

Fernando Rodney rules

Comment

For the record, I hate that Rodney tilts his cap. Show some respect!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        For the record, I hate that Rodney tilts his cap. Show some respect!

dumbest meme ever..

I'm more annoyed about nobody wearing high socks. Show respect!

Comment

According to the BP podcast today (reporting what RJ Anderson said), Rodney moved back to the other side of the rubber this year. (The one where he sucked prior to 2012)

Sell, Mortimer, sell!

Comment

If Rodney were to be replaced in the next few months is McGee still the guy to have? I assume he'll have to work off some of that era damage first or Farnsworth might get a shot.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                              If Rodney were to be replaced in the next few months is McGee still the guy to have? I assume he'll have to work off some of that era damage first or Farnsworth might get a shot.
                              I'd see Peralta or Farnsworth first. McGee's fastball is a weapon Joe likes to utilize in many different ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X