Chen, Saunders, Bonifacio, Betancourt or Rollins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
    I think it all comes down to how much you value Chen. Personally, I think he's an okay fantasy starter. Nothing special. He doesn't seem to K enough guys to be elite so while he's good value at $5 it just doesn't seem worth it to keep him versus a player at a premium position that is weak in the draft that you need to fill and that you think will likely go for a lot more.

Okay, I think you've convinced me. Maybe I was getting drawn in by Chen "best shape of my life" rhetoric this Spring. Reports have him looking pretty good right now. He seems to have more value upside than Rollins, but then again, that is primarily what is wrong wtih my league--we all fall into the trap of keeping the risk/reward upside players over the reliable more expenisve guys. One last question: can I assume by the fact that he is has been ignored as an option that no one is fond of Alexei Ramirez? I know my league is down on him now and he is the one other decent option at SS available.
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-04-2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I think Alexei Ramirez will have a slightly better year than last year, but I like Rollins considerably more than Ramirez. He may go for less than Rollins is being kept for, but it sounds like based on your league it won't be enough of a savings to justify tossing Rollins back and being comfortable with Ramirez as a consolation prize.

Comment

Well, I solved my log jam by trading Hamels, Niese, and Doumit for Addison Russell. Niese was the only really great value at $4. The other two are at fair/decent values, but I wasn't going to keep them. So, I wanted to follow up to see if everyone is on board with me now keeping both Rollins 41 and Chen 5, or if anyone thinks that Bonifacio 7, Saunders 7, or Betancourt 7 would be a better option than Chen at 5.

Comment

I actually like Boni for this year. I am not sure given the parameters (if I understand them correctly) that you couldn't get him cheaper back in the auction.

I would add that if Rollins is the value that most think he is, you should be getting a lot of trade offers for him. If you are not, I would try testing the trade market.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            I actually like Boni for this year. I am not sure given the parameters (if I understand them correctly) that you couldn't get him cheaper back in the auction.

I would add that if Rollins is the value that most think he is, you should be getting a lot of trade offers for him. If you are not, I would try testing the trade market.
            I've offerred Rollins to everyone. No one wants him, or I should say that few need him, and those few don't want him. I really don't know why, as I'd bet decent money he'd go for at least $10 more than his current price in our auction. But most of this league is keeping a SS, which is why there will be none in the auction, and most of the league really shies away from pricey keepers, even ones at good value. A few owners don't, but they all have SS already. The one guy in the league who really likes Rollins has Castro, Utley and Hill in the MIF.
            Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-06-2013, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I've offerred Rollins to everyone. No one wants him, or I should say that few need him, and those few don't want him. I really don't know why, as I'd bet decent money he'd go for at least $10 in our auction. But most of this league is keeping a SS, which is why there will be none in the auction, and most of the league really shies away from pricey keepers, even ones at good value. A few owners don't, but they all have SS already. The one guy in the league who really likes Rollins has Castro, Utley and Hill in the MIF.
              Do they don't like to keep at value players, but would pay double (80-90 bucks) for the studs?

Given what you have just stated, what would you expect to pay for Rollins if he goes back in?

Comment

I don't know....many times I've practically begged this league to take one of my guys with no takers, only to have them snap him up in the auction for big money. But really, so few teams need a SS going into the auction, and there is so much talent to spend on, I could see getting him back at the price he is now--41, or he could go for up to 20 more (freaking Yunel Escobar when for $31 last year as the last decent SS option). The lack of interest in him now doesn't ensure folks won't bid him up in the auction.

And yes, that is the thinking for most (not all, the guy I traded Hamels to is keeping him at $70) of these guys--the would prefer to keep a cheap at value guy rather than an expensive at value guy to give themselves more auction flexibility. I know that goes counter to a lot of thinking here, which would take the price certainty on the better player rather than keep the cheaper, inferior player. All that really makes for is longer auctions, as many great players at value are tossed back each year in favor of guys lower end cheap dudes.
                Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I don't know....many times I've practically begged this league to take one of my guys with no takers, only to have them snap him up in the auction for big money. But really, so few teams need a SS going into the auction, and there is so much talent to spend on, I could see getting him back at the price he is now--41, or he could go for up to 20 more (freaking Yunel Escobar when for $31 last year as the last decent SS option). The lack of interest in him now doesn't ensure folks won't bid him up in the auction.

And yes, that is the thinking for most (not all, the guy I traded Hamels to is keeping him at $70) of these guys--the would prefer to keep a cheap at value guy rather than an expensive at value guy to give themselves more auction flexibility. I know that goes counter to a lot of thinking here, which would take the price certainty on the better player rather than keep the cheaper, inferior player. All that really makes for is longer auctions, as many great players at value are tossed back each year in favor of guys lower end cheap dudes.
                  How many guys will be kept over $41 this year?

Comment

Do folks think Bonfacio will play every day? Will he hit at the top or the bottom of the order? Bonifacio is better than Itzuris, but rotowrold is reporting the jays promised macier the 2b job, leaving boni as a util guy.
                    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-06-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      How many guys will be kept over $41 this year?

I can't name them all yet, as some decsions have to be made, but there are the only ones on guaranteed deals (3 of the 4 from the same team):

Ian Kinsler 59 s1
                      Miguel Cabrera 79 L1
                      Jose Reyes 49 L1
                      Cliff Lee 53 L1

I'd guess maybe 6-8 more will be kept over 40. Many of those will be SPs, like Matt Cain at 58 and CC Sabathia at 59.

Comment

Do folks think Bonfacio will play every day? Will he hit at the top or the bottom of the order? Bonifacio is better than Itzuris, but rotowrold is reporting the jays promised macier the 2b job, leaving boni as a util guy.
                        Super Utility guy.

For sure will qualify at 2nd and OF. In season how many games do you need for position flex? I would be happy to have him for $7 in my AL only 5x5. I am just not sure you wouldn't get him for a buck or two in the end game.

Comment

I've been offered Ian Desmond on an expiring $6 contract for Rollins and Betancourt. Should I do it?

Comment

Working...
                          X