NL Keeper help needed by Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL Keeper help needed by Friday

10 team 5x5 NL only $260, 22 players (no DH). I am allowed up to 12 keepers, but am only sure about 10 of them, with a couple on the bubble.

Current roster:

C J Lucroy ---- $1 Not planning on keeping
    C B Posey ---- $1 (Steal of my draft last year) Keeper
    1B B Wallace -- $3 Probably not keeping
    2B E Young ----$10 On the fence (Will he start? How many SB's?)
    3B Sandoval --- $7 Keeper
    SS C Barmes --- $5 Not planning on keeping
    MI K Johnson --- $3 Keeper
    CI A Ramirez --- $34 Not planning on keeping
    OF Heyward ---- $16 Keeper
    OF D Stubbs --- $7 Keeper
    OF Bernadina --- $2 Keeper (at $2, I pretty much have to keep him)
    OF C Coghlan --- $2 Keeper
    OF C Maybin ---- $9 Not planning on keeping

P J Chacin ------ $8 Keeper
    P T Clippard ---- $3 Not planning on keeping
    P K Correia ----- $12 Not planning on keeping
    P S Demel ------ $1 Not planning on keeping
    P Gorzelanny --- $6 Not planning on keeping
    P J Hammel ----- $1 Not planning on keeping (should be able to get him in draft for $1 again)
    P M Lindstrom -- $10 Not planning on keeping
    P R oswalt ----- $22 Keeper
    P D Storen ----- $1 Keeper

So I have 10 keepers and a couple on the bubble. With my current crop of keepers, I am light on power, but I will have pretty good speed. That, and they are cheap. 7 Hitting keepers for only $38, and 3 Pitching keepers for $31, leaving $191 to spend at the draft for 5 Hitters and 6 Pitchers. Using a 70/30 split, that gives me $144 to spend on 5 Hitters (assuming 1 of them is a cheap catcher, $143 on 4 Hitters). I can get whoever I want on Offense. I will need a 1B, SS, CI, and OF.

What about Eric Young? CBS has him at 41 SB's, and Shandler has him at 15. Last year he had 17 in 172 AB's, so if he starts, I assume he will run.

What about Brett Wallace? Being short on power, I don't want to tie up a 1B slot with him if he isn't the real deal. I would rather pay to get a Pujols/Howard/Fielder, and get the guaranteed power. I have the money.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

you got it right. dont keep EY or Wallace.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I would not keep EY. He is not the starter.

I would keep Lucroy for a buck. He will not hurt you as much as many other catchers. Not sure you can do better for a buck. Too many of the $1 catchers come with that sweet .229 ave. At least he will do better than that. With Posey I think Lucroy is a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post

I would keep Lucroy for a buck. He will not hurt you as much as many other catchers. Not sure you can do better for a buck. Too many of the $1 catchers come with that sweet .229 ave. At least he will do better than that. With Posey I think Lucroy is a no brainer.
        I agree. You have the room for an extra keeper, and Lucroy is a good $1 target.

Comment

I agree about Lucroy. Plus its nice to go into a draft not having to worry about catcher. Do you have to keep 12, or can you go in with 11? If you have to keep 12, then I might hold on the Barmes for $5.

Comment

I would also keep Lucroy. He is one of a very small group of catchers that wont hurt you with negaitve stats.

Comment

Another plus vote for Lucroy at a buck. Very nice list, BTW.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

agree with Lucroy and nobody else as your keepers.

regarding the plan to spend $143 on 4 hitters, I'd spend a bit less on hitters and use the $ to buy a stud SP. I believe the 70/30 split should be done on the total value of your player, rather than their total salary.

Comment

No on EY, no on Wallace.
                  Lucroy, I'd probably keep.

Is Bernadina gonna start? If not, I'd be on the fence & doubt I'd keep him because you have the funds to get a better hitter in his place. Additionally, you'd be tying up 4 or your 5 OF slots. With the budget you have I'm not sure I'd want to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by the heat View Post
                    No on EY, no on Wallace.
                    Lucroy, I'd probably keep.

Is Bernadina gonna start? If not, I'd be on the fence & doubt I'd keep him because you have the funds to get a better hitter in his place. Additionally, you'd be tying up 4 or your 5 OF slots. With the budget you have I'm not sure I'd want to do that.
                    Thanks for your opinions everybody.

I was on the fence about Bernadina, but in another thread in the bullpen, they thought he was worth keeping at a higher price. I know he is battling Morse for the LF job, but I expect him to win that battle.

As it stands right now, I know the following will be available: Pujols and Howard, Hanley Ramirez, Jimmy Rollins, Matt Holliday, Corey Hart, Jay Brue, Aramis Ramirez, Lance Berkman (and others after keeper lists are submitted). I will need a 1B, CI, SS, MI, and OF. I was planning on concentrating on Power with those slots, and was thinking of bidding for Berkman, knowing he would have OF eligibility after the first game of the season. If Bernadina or Coghlan washes out, Berkman could move to their slot.

The only reason I was not keeping Lucroy was I didn't think he would go for much more than a buck or two in the draft, and Soto and Montero are available, in case I wanted to spend a little more and upgrade the production from the Catcher spot.

Oh, and someone else asked if I have to keep 12, and the answer is "no". You can keep less.

Comment

I was not on the fence about Bernadina. I think you should keep him. I also think you should not target Berkman. Use the money to spend on one of the studs. If you are a catcher league, you keep Lucroy as your second catcher and then go the extra buck or two to grab Soto or Montero.

Comment

I was not on the fence about Bernadina. I think you should keep him. I also think you should not target Berkman. Use the money to spend on one of the studs. If you are a catcher league, you keep Lucroy as your second catcher and then go the extra buck or two to grab Soto or Montero.
                        If he keeps Lucroy and has Posey, why would he go after Soto or Montero?
                        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          If he keeps Lucroy and has Posey, why would he go after Soto or Montero?
                          Moops! I was addressing the catcher situation. I did not go back and look at his roster, forgot he had Posey. I still keep Lucroy, I bring out Soto and Montero early and if they go too cheap put them in UT....They will not go too cheap.

Comment

Moops! I was addressing the catcher situation. I did not go back and look at his roster, forgot he had Posey. I still keep Lucroy, I bring out Soto and Montero early and if they go too cheap put them in UT....They will not go too cheap.
                            Nice thinking. Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                            X