Zack Greinke $20
    Ben Revere $17

On the flip side-
    Jean Segura $20
    Justin Ruggiano $19
    Ian Stewart $11
    Paul Maholm $9
    Dominic Brown $8

RealTime Fantasy Sports - Fantasy Football, Baseball, Basketball, Best Ball, plus Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS).

I like the Maholm and Brown signings. Maholm is a very solid pitcher the last couple of years and he has a great line up and a great bullpen. I think he could be in for a career year. He's not spectacular and never will be, but he'll be a source of wins with ratios that won't kill you.

I know all the parables about not getting hung up on Spring stats, but Domonic Brown has looked amazing this spring. He's a former highly regarded prospect and pretty much embodies what a "post hype sleeper" is. $8 might have been a bit of a stretch, but I think it could pay off.

Uggla is the flip side for me. I want him to be good, I'm a Braves guy. I got excited when he showed up to camp looking lean and ready to go. Since then he's gone 3 for 21 with 11 Ks. Yes, it's just spring, but Ugg. La. (Yeah, that pun happened.)

Comment

Uggla each year seems to garner vastly different valuations. Can't hit! But has power and speed! I know I never have owned him.

Given that LABR isn't a keeper league and has only 5 reserves (assuming I'm reading the spreadsheet correctly), I'm surprised at some of the prospects not likely to make a MLB squad out of spring training. I can understand Billy Hamilton of course, but Arenado $8? Wong $2? Gary Brown $2? How many active hitters will Ambrosius/Childs have in April?

Comment

I have no problem making those bets a month before the regular season. Arenado is pushing for the starting job over guys who lack power, the Cards have a declining Furcal and light-hitting MIs otherwise, and SF projects all legs, no stick Blanco in the OF. The ones that don't play out, he'll have a month to see if his reserves are worth activating or hit the waiver wire. A lot changes in a month, particularly with part-time players. Now, making all three of bets a week before the regular season is a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by roadtrip68 View Post
          Ian Stewart $11
          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
          "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Sorry to say it, but the Wolf/Colton team looks pretty painful...

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
              I'd agree. But I don't see how a team can win spending $24 on pitching - Doug Dennis, Baseball HQ.

I think there was a thread earlier about what percentage people spent on pitching, and the likelihood of winning.

Eric Karabell and Ambrosius/Childs seem to have some problems getting enough at bats.

Comment

not sure if it was last year, but I think it was the same HQ guy who won or almost win this league with that same strategy. I like to see the creative approaches; good way for us to see what's possible.....
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Everyone's prices on the full time players are usually within a few dollars of each other, so in these leagues its more a matter of allocation--hitting/pitching, star heavy lineup balanced by scrubs or longshots versus middle of the road players, etc.. The thing is, not too many people do a AL or NL start from scratch auction each year, so as an exercise in team building, its of limited instructional value.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                    Given that LABR isn't a keeper league and has only 5 reserves (assuming I'm reading the spreadsheet correctly), I'm surprised at some of the prospects not likely to make a MLB squad out of spring training. I can understand Billy Hamilton of course, but Arenado $8? Wong $2? Gary Brown $2? How many active hitters will Ambrosius/Childs have in April?
                    Arenado @ $8 is brilliant! He's up to 4 preseason HRs.
                    Choo choo - all aboard the Arenado Express.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                      I think spending over a ben on three outfield spots will do that to a guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X