2k13: Brett Jackson (CHC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k13: Brett Jackson (CHC)

Going to pull some comments out of the mock 1 discussion thread and start one for BJax.

Originally posted by Frank View Post
    I would like to receive your opinions on Cubs OF'er Brett Jackson for 2013
    Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
    I think that he's going to get a legit shot at some point this year. I'm not sure how much he has left to prove in the minors. He'll take at bats from DeJesus or someone else in the event of injury or trade.

That said, I'm not sure he's "much" of a prospect, so I'd not have high expectations.
    Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    Heaven help me, I'm starting to get sucked in. The Cubs reworked his swing. He looks good in the spring. He's athletic. They have very few other options. I think he's absolutely worth a pick at this point. I'm not convinced I'd pay $5+ for him in an NL-only league yet, but I'm starting to think someone will.
    Originally posted by Frank View Post
    Thank you to all those who offered feedback on Jackson - Like most, I'm stunned by the K's last season - everything I have read indicates he's a really decent athlete and has the makeup to make the necessary adjustments so I will keep my fingers crossed.
    Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    It's very common for athletes (not baseball players who are polished, but guys who have off-the-charts athleticism) to have 4 great tools (power, speed, arm, field) and still fail to make it in the majors because their hit tool is an atrocity. That's who Jackson was last year, but he's still young enough that it's too early to give up on him.

Now, that said, a couple months ago, Jason Parks was trying to find a good example of a toolshed guy who was a complete disaster in the low minors but still made it, and he couldn't think of one. Nobody that couldn't hack it in rookie ball. Even guys who struggled in the minors usually hit when they first got there. Jackson DID hit when he first got there (.330 in the NWL in 2009) so that means there's hope.

2010 struck out 21.7% of his ABs, 2011 it rose to 27.0%, 2012 it rose to 38.8%. That is the minor leagues only, not counting the 41% K rate in the majors. I just don't see anything that makes me want this guy. His avg was .297/.274/.256 for those same three years.

Maybe if he learns to get hit by a pitch every other at bat his speed would be useful.

Comment

As a Cubs fan I hope for the best but expect the worst.

I do not think he can hit major league pitching. He is useless for fantasy purposes.

Comment

I'd be happy to take him for $1 in late game. That won't happen because there are too many people that think he's a stud in the making, so he won't be on my team... and I'm okay with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          As a Cubs fan I hope for the best but expect the worst.

I do not think he can hit major league pitching. He is useless for fantasy purposes.
          That's basically my stance on Jackson as well. I hope that I'm wrong...

Comment

i have him for $3, is he worth keeping at that price?

Comment

NL only or mixed league?

Comment

Originally posted by tinitoys View Post
                i have him for $3, is he worth keeping at that price?
                Only if it is a really deep NL only with insane inflation.

That said try to trade him to a believer.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                  I'd be happy to take him for $1 in late game. That won't happen because there are too many people that think he's a stud in the making, so he won't be on my team... and I'm okay with that.
                  My feelings EXACTLY.

Comment

I don't know that this even matters, but I heard the Cubs broadcasters say last year that he is too patient, and took way too many good pitches just to take them. Usually that got him in trouble as he fell behind in counts. And he strikes out looking maybe not as often, but still plenty, as he does whiffing. Looking for a silver lining here, but maybe there's room for some improvement in that department? And no, I wouldn't buy him for $1.

Comment

my bad, its a 12 team NL-only 23 man roster

Comment

Well here's what Keith Law had to say yesterday:

Everything we liked about Jackson before, from the speed to the athleticism to the bat speed to the arm, is still present, but I wish I could tell you I thought this new swing would solve his contact problems.

FWIW, I was completely out on Jackson last year. Wouldn't touch him. Started to get sucked in this year by the talk of a new swing, but definitely think the hype is going a little too far if people are talking about him as a $3-$5 player.

Comment

Working...
                        X