Reality Check on Detwiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality Check on Detwiler

I picked up Detwiler last year in a mid season trade, standard NL only 4x4 $260, 15 keepers. At the time he was more or less a throw-in, but he pitched pretty damn good during the last half. He's going into 2013 as the solid 5th starter on a strong team with a very strong rotation.

In this year's mock auctions and drafts and keeper lists, etc he's not getting a lot of love, generally going around a $3 to $4 range. His salary for me is $10, and I had been thinking seriously about keeping him, but now obviously am having second thoughts. Looking a little closer at his history, his minor league stats were unimpressive, but the last 2 years with the Nats he's been quite solid. I'm anticipating another step up this year, at least for wins. Big lefthander with serious gas and decent WHIP.

I'm assuming now that most if not everyone would toss him back in the auction, but he fits nicely on my team. However, I'm not really in a position to throw around precious $, so wondering how stupid I would be to protect him at $10?

Originally posted by harmon View Post
    However, I'm not really in a position to throw around precious $, so wondering how stupid I would be to protect him at $10?
    Very?

Seriously, there's more than a handful of similar-type players that could get you similar stats for $1-$3. See the Eovaldi/Turner thread for two similar options. Kendrick, Gee. That's a quick thought around the NL East.

Comment

I like him as a solid sleeper, but $10 seems a little steep at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
        See the Eovaldi/Turner thread for two similar options. Kendrick, Gee. That's a quick thought around the NL East.
        I'd take him over any of those guys, but I wouldn't go to $10 on any of them.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

at worst, you pay $10 in the auction and get the extra year. and I doubt you'll pay that much. The Nats have a lot of good pitchers. He's a very nice sleeper who won't evne be hyped out of sleeperdom. Toss him back, and play the trapdoor spider - wait as long as possible before you have to pounce...
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            at worst, you pay $10 in the auction and get the extra year. and I doubt you'll pay that much. The Nats have a lot of good pitchers. He's a very nice sleeper who won't evne be hyped out of sleeperdom. Toss him back, and play the trapdoor spider - wait as long as possible before you have to pounce...
            \

I agree with Judge and the others on this. Throw him back and rebid.

Comment

The Nats were flirting with Javy Vazquez for a while and may have taken a look at Kyle Lohse (hell, they might still be looking at him, at Boras' urging). I think the shortage of love is due to the Nats' exploration of other options. But if Detwiler does get the job, I like him a lot.

Comment

The Nats 6th starter stashed in Syracuse will likely be Chris Young.

Comment

I'm with the rest of the guys here. I like Detwiler a lot, but I'd think that worse case scenario you get him back for $10 in your auction.

Comment

Well, you didn't say how many owners in your league and how SP per team and other details but on average Detwiler feels like dollar days to me.

Comment

Going into last season I kept Detwiler for $1. He pitched well enough for me to trade him to a contender midseason. I think he should have better across the board numbers this year.

Comment

I'm a believer, generally - owned Detwiler until last year, in fact. But hey, it's business....
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                        X