NL only position scarcity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL only position scarcity

I was looking at the different positions for the draft and trying to work out a strategy. Here's what I see for position scarcity.

1st - deep [there's Votto then a bunch of solid guys]
    2nd - very shallow [there's a huge talent drop-off after the first half-dozen -- I'm not going to be picking from the bottom of this barrel here]
    3rd - average [a nice mixture of high-end talent and solid guys but then falls off into oblivion after 10 spots or so]
    SS - deep [lots of depth here -- I'll probably be drafting the bottom rung players here]
    OF - shallow [after 35-40 players out it gets scary bad]

NL OF seems significantly more shallow than last year.

One more Upton, but no Berkman, no Bourn, no Victorino, no Melky Cabrera, no Astros (don't laugh - Martinez and Maxwell aren't that bad and were better fantasy bets than their infield).

I'm sure I'm missing some new NL outfielders and some departing NL outfielders, but it seems like there's a lot of fantasy talent drain there. As an added bonus for strategic planning, most people don't think of outfield as a potentially scarce position, so there might be some good OF values early in the auction.

Comment

The only other additions I can think of offhand are Choo and Revere and Span.
      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

nice thoughts, thanks...
        "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Continuing to compare this year's NL OF crop to last year's NL OF crop:

Excellent additions, mjl!

No Morse, no Stubbs, no Jason Bay (sounds like a stretch, but he did go for $13 in tout 2012), no Chris Young

Comment

Working...
          X