Scoresheet Keeper Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoresheet Keeper Help

Keepers are due in a few days. Can keep up to 10, but each keeper costs a draft pick starting from 1st round and moving to 10th. (So the first keeper is the most costly, and they decrease in opportunity cost the more you keep.) 24 teams, and players are essentially valued like in real baseball. Collette's in the league, so he's not allowed to read this.

Obvious keepers:
    Zobrist
    Sandoval
    Gordon

Possibilities:
    Jayson Werth
    Denard Span
    AJ Ellis
    Jonny Gomes
    Ryan Doumit

Ryan Vogelsong
    Brandon McCarthy
    Jason Hammel
    Hisashi Iwakuma
    Vance Worley
    Drew Smyly
    Lucas Harrell

Who would be your top ten, and do you see any tiering, where I might want to stop before 10 keepers? Thanks!

I'm not sure how catchers are typically handled in a scoresheet league, but I do like Ellis quite a bit in a 24 team league.

I'd probably keep:
    Zobrist
    Sandoval
    Gordon
    Werth
    Ellis
    Vogelsong
    McCarthy

I really what I've seen from Smyly, but he may be a bit harder to justify keeping in a Scoresheet format. I'd definitely look to try and get him back because if anyone the Detroit rotation has any health issues this year I could see Smyly stepping up and being quite valuable.

Comment

I'm in a 24-team sim league draft, and here's where everyone went:

Zobrist 55
      Sandoval 71
      Gordon 103
      Vogelsong 136
      ~~~~
      McCarthy 162
      Werth 173
      hammel 180
      Iwakuma 201
      Ellis 208
      Doumit 212
      Span 215
      Worley 248
      ~~~~~
      Harrell 342
      Smyly 420
      Gomes 441

Ellis went criminally low; I'd probably move him up almost to the 1st tier. The 1st and 2nd tiers are 12 guys. I think Doumit was a little overdrafted so if you toss him and Worley, that gives you 10 (Panda/Zobrist/Gordon/Span/Ellis/Werth on offense, Vogey/Hammel/Iwakuma/McCarthy in the rotation). That's not a bad start for 10 guys. If you tossed McCarthy or Span, would you get someone better with that 10th pick? I'm not sure. If I was going to toss one of them I'd toss both.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Zobrist 55th? Jeez. Gordon seems really low, too, huh. Maybe they have poor fielding ratings in your sim league, joncarlos?

My feeling is that catchers are worth less because they don't play full time. In roto you have two slots, but in Scoresheet you have to fill 600ish PAs. So I'd rather have a 600 PA non-catcher than a 450-500 PA catcher. But I do like Ellis...

No, I don't think the 9th/10th spots will get anyone better than McCarthy or Span. If I keep 6/7 guys, I think I keep the full 10. Other than Ellis, my list of top guys matches Stephen's, maybe with a Hammel thrown in. I really like him other than injury concerns.

Comment

Nice to see I was pretty close.

I signed up for an NL Score Sheet last night. Just waiting for them to send over info when they get rolling this morning. I'm really looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by skyking162 View Post
            Thanks, guys. Zobrist 55th? Jeez. Gordon seems really low, too, huh. Maybe they have poor fielding ratings in your sim league, joncarlos?

My feeling is that catchers are worth less because they don't play full time. In roto you have two slots, but in Scoresheet you have to fill 600ish PAs. So I'd rather have a 600 PA non-catcher than a 450-500 PA catcher. But I do like Ellis...

No, I don't think the 9th/10th spots will get anyone better than McCarthy or Span. If I keep 6/7 guys, I think I keep the full 10. Other than Ellis, my list of top guys matches Stephen's, maybe with a Hammel thrown in. I really like him other than injury concerns.
            and I'm not even in that league

Comment

FWIW, I went with 10 guys. Was really tempted to just go Zobrist/Gordon/Pablo, but liked some others too much.

Zobrist
              Sandoval
              Gordon
              Werth
              Span (excellent fielding rating)
              Ellis
              Vogelsong
              McCarthy
              Hammel
              Iwakuma

Which matches joncarlos, now that I look at it.

Comment

For those curious, we're through 4 real rounds of the draft (first 10 only used by those who didn't keep 10 guys) and I've been busy.

First I dealt Span and my round 24 pick for Youkilis. 1B and DH were both unfilled, without many good bats left in the draft.

Then I dealt McCarthy and my round 13 pick for Beltran and round 27, 28 picks. Another bat, probably at DH, although he provides OF depth, too.

I drafted Rasmus to fill the CF opening (solid CF fielding rating, and large platoon split make him serviceable, plus small chance he lives up to hype) and Niemann at SP (which was probably a reach).

Still need some starting pitching, a MI, positional depth, and a bullpen. Been stocking up on late draft picks, which will make the bullpen easy.

Comment

Draft over. Here's the last update...

(For full strategy post, see my tumblr.)

Filled out the starting rotation with Scott Feldman and fliers on Fausto Carmona, Scott Kazmir, and Tim Stauffer. Nabbed Travis Hafner as 1B/OF/DH depth and Kelly Johnson as starting second basemen (my worst starter -- with Zobrist's flexibility, MI will be a year-long trade target.) Lefty-bashing platoon partners are Chris Heisey (for Rasmus in CF) and Mike Aviles (for Johnson at MI).

Mixed in some random fliers on ARod (should be useful come playoffs, either on my team or as trade bait), Jason Bay, Hank Conger (filler until D'Arnauld is called up), and Mike Baxter (hey, he's got a starting job).

Grabbed some prospects with upside, who are pure trade bait: Kyle Crick, Michael Fulmer, Kyle Seager, and Lew Brinson.

Lastly, because my rotation is so iffy, I went heavy on solid relievers. They can enter as early as the 4th inning, so I foresee a huge percentage of innings coming from 3.50-3.75ish relievers. Lots of teams nab extra starters to use as relievers, but I that that's a poor ERA trade-off.
                  Janssen
                  Benoit
                  J Smith
                  Farnsworth
                  Miller
                  Madson
                  Badenhop
                  Arredondo
                  Rauch
                  S Johnson
                  (plus some starters, like Niemann, may end up in the bullpen)

All told, this is probably a good, not great team. Assuming I'm in the race, a couple nice trades could push me into the playoffs. If not, it's rebuilding time, which could be a lot of fun. I'll take it.

Comment

Working...
                  X