H2H vs Roto Scoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H2H vs Roto Scoring

As I've trying to find a league this off season I'm noticing that more and more leagues seem to be H2H vs traditional Roto.

Personally, I really dislike H2H format for Baseball and was surprised to see the shift.

For those of you who prefer H2H, what is it for you that makes you like that format better?

My league 14 team has always been H2H, and I've grown to hate it, only becauseof the playoffs, which often end up with me being eliminated in our 1 week semi finals (we have a two week finals, which is more fair, and if that round were two weeks, I'd be totally fine with h2h). During the long regular season, though, I find that things generally even out enough that the unfairness of losing or winning a bit more than you should is mitaged by the h2h rivalries and trash talking on a weekly basis. Our league is a points league, though, and has a 7 "win" tiered scoring breakdown that ensures that a squeeker win is not the same as a blow out, and that goes a long way into evening out the records so that there isn't such great frustration about unbalanced schedules. The way we have it set up, the final regular season standings are almost always almost identical to what they would be if we just ranked teams by total points, but again, anything can happen in the playoffs, which I guess is also the point. But since I am often a top two scoring team, I take it hard when I lose to a lesser team far behind me on season points.

Comment

H2H makes no sense for baseball in a weekly format. When we used to use OnRoto, they allowed us to create 10/11 matchups (i.e., 2 every 3 weeks). This was nice because 95% of SPs would get 2 starts during each scoring period. Once we switched to CBS and were forced into weekly schedules, I lobbied hard and convinced 6 other owners to switch back to Roto a few years ago (which is what we originally used but one owner who's no longer in the league got the league to switch about 6 years ago). The vote to switch back was 7-5, and several of the owners continue to whine about going back to H2H.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I enjoy H2H. But I don't think I'd like it roto style, I prefer points.

We're a 16-team mixed H2H points league. But half our pot goes to the H2H winner and half to the end-of-season points leader (and portions to 3 points runner-ups, division winners, etc.)

Four division leaders and 2 wildcards make the playoffs in H2H. The next 8 teams play in a double-elim consolation tournament. It's a lot of fun.

We also play two games a week to minimize the affect of the odd blow-out. There's really not that many of those though.

Comment

Why I like H2H - The trash talk during the year is much better than my roto league. I had Hamilton and his 9 HRs the week I played my best friend so that provides an entire years worth of talk. I brought it up again just last week as we were discussing the 2013 season. Usually not much of a regular season difference between standings using roto or H2H. The best team using the eye-ball test usually seems to be the team at the top at the end of the regular season.

Why I hate H2H - The ending of the season always leaves the best team without the title just because of one weeks of stats. I have been in my H2H league for 5 years and last year was the first time the top seeds made the finals. The top seed has never won the league. Last year I won by 20 games but my kid, who finished 2nd in the season, beat me in the finals. He is the highest ranked regular season team to ever win the title. The four years prior to that the #1 seed has always gone out in their first playoff week. The #6 team has won twice, the #5 team once and the #3 team once.

Comment

Agree that H2H is good for social leagues. For money or competition, meh.

Comment

Working...
            X