Kuo or Motte?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kuo or Motte?

Strangely, I have this same problem in three different leagues (an 18-team mixed [RJEL] and two 12-team NL onlies). I have both Kuo and Motte at $1 each. I can only keep one, but don't have to keep either.

I like Kuo's skill set better, but his injury history is epic, and if Broxton is in his zone, he's impossibly blocked. But, Broxton showed chinks in the armor last year and Kuo could be the beneficiary.

I like Motte and he's #2 behind a weak closer, but Franklin seems to always just do enough to keep his job. Plus, Motte has trouble with that second pitch.

I think both are decent $1 keepers, but who do you like more?

I like Motte as a keeper because Franklin's contract is done after this year. Given some of the recent events in St.Louis I am not so sure that they will not trade him before the deadline. This opens the way for Motte to step in this year. But he really looks good for next year.

Regarding the Broxton situation; I think Kenley Jansen might have a little say in both the current and future closers role for L.A. Add that to Kuo's glass body and I would go with Motte.

Comment

I agree with everything Gregg said. I also don't see Kuo holding up (physically) as a closer if he gets the job.

Comment

Originally posted by willthethrill View Post
        I agree with everything Gregg said. I also don't see Kuo holding up (physically) as a closer if he gets the job.
        I also thks Gregg's analysis is sound and concur that KUo isd an injury risk. Has anyone eveer had three TJ surgeries?

Comment

Ditto.

Comment

Motte considering his future value and it isn't close.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
              Motte considering his future value and it isn't close.
              Hm. I expected a little more debate.

I was tending toward Motte, but I'm not convinced he will ever actually succeed as a closer. If Kuo could ever stay healthy, I think he'd be a top-flight closer, but the health issue cannot be ignored with him.

Comment

Broxton is a FA too after the season. I assume the Broxton owner or the Franklin owner would be very interested in either one.

Comment

agree that Motte is the choice, but if I had to make the same choice in 3 leagues, i'd probably keep Kuo instead in one of the three leagues so I'd be happy whichever way it works out

Comment

Sorry I'm late. Debate is here. Keep Kuo.

Reasoning:

1. Motte simply isn't that good. He had a near-ungodly high strand rate last year, his xERA was more than a run higher than ERA, and that WHIP screams "REGRESSION TO MEAN!"
                    2. It's not like Motte was a model of health last year. He missed about 5 weeks with shoulder trouble.
                    3. Motte flat out sucks against LHBs
                    4. Franklin's demise has been predicted for two years now. Last year he blew two saves out of 29. Broxton, OTOH, had a near-death experience in the second half where his WHIP - not his ERA, his WHIP - went over 2.00.

Kuo is flat-out inhumanly nasty. Yeah, he's a big health risk. But he does everything better than Motte - K rate, BB:K ratio, no weakness against RH or LHBs, and a 3-year track record of having significantly less hits than IP.

Win now. Keep Kuo.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It's only one spring training game, but Broxton got knocked around by the Padres today. He had thrown a couple scoreless innings to start the season, but this is a situation to monitor pretty closely considering how the 2nd half played out last year.

As for the original question, it's a toss-up for me. Motte has more long-term value based on age and health, but I'm fairly confident Kuo will produce more value this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X