Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K13: Kenley Jansen & Brandon League

The facts:
    1. Jansen has already proven he can be a dominating closer (25 saves in 32 opportunities in his first shot at doing it, with a superior K rate)
    2. Jansen has reportedly come completely back from the heart condition
    3. Jansen is undoubtedly the better pitcher of the two
    4. League signed a 25 million contract
    5. League could not unseat Jansen in 2012 without the heart injury
    6. League has more closer experience

What am I missing here? Why does Mattingly have it switched, with Jansen setting up and League closing heading into ST?? And if he has announced this is the end of the bullpen heading into the year, it seems like Jansen has very little chance (outside of injuries) to overtake League before opening day, seeing how obvious it seems that Jansen was the better pitcher last year and the better pitcher now.

Oh, and how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

I'd wager that 99% of RJ users think Jansen should be the closer, and will be the closer again at some point this season. My only guess is that the Dodgers didn't want to put the huge amount of stress that goes with the closer job back on Jansen after his heart problems.

Comment

25 out of 32 is NOT dominating.
      He does strike out a lot of batters, and he gets hurt.

If you're not a Jansen owner...
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I'd wager that 99% of RJ users think Jansen should be the closer, and will be the closer again at some point this season.
        I think you could find a Giants fan here and there that wouldn't want to see Jansen closing games.

Comment

Getting tough outs in the 7th or 8th inning are just as important to a manager as in the 9th.

Only people who care about the save statistic really care who pitches the 9th

Comment

This situation was on my mind today. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I think League holds the job all year as I have 25M reason why -- even with Jansen staying healthy all year.

Comment

FINALLY Mattingly gives in and names Jansen closer...If I knew all it would take for Jansen to be named closer was to start Brandon League for the first time in my H2H, I would have done it a month ago.

Comment

Jansen has the closer role officially now. So is it time to trade him ASAP? Or will he be a great keeper for next year?

Comment

Awesome keeper for next year. I'd slot him as the third best NL closer, just a tick below Kimbrel and Chapman.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

I'm in the somewhat-enviable position of having both League and Jensen. My problem is that I have to throw Jansen back at the end of his contract, where I can keep League.Anyone see a scenario where League gets dealt somewhere he can close?
                    Bearin' up!

Comment

Originally posted by scottw View Post
                      I'm in the somewhat-enviable position of having both League and Jensen. My problem is that I have to throw Jansen back at the end of his contract, where I can keep League.Anyone see a scenario where League gets dealt somewhere he can close?
                      Why would anyone in MLB trade for a closer who can't close and who is also making closer money? Sorry, but I think you're going to have to take solace in the fact that you have a good closer in Jansen and move forward. League is worthless in fantasy AND real baseball at this point.

Comment

Working...
                      X