2k13: Rick Porcello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k13: Rick Porcello

Talk about a guy who is all over the map. The Tigers have a rock-solid top 4 (JV, Max, Fister, Anibal) and then two good candidates for the #5 spot in Porcello and Drew Smyly. So as much as you might like Porcello, there's a chance he won't even have a spot in the rotation.

2012 stats: 176.1ip, 4.59 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 107 Ks, 10-12 record. Just 5.46 K9, but 2.25 BB9 and a nice 53.2% GB rate. Unfortunately, throwing all those ground balls behind the Tigers' infield resulted in a .344 BABIP. That's high, but unless Jhonny Peralta and Miguel Cabrera suddenly turn into Nettles and Ozzie on the left side of the infield, it might not get a lot better. Porcello did have a 3.91 FIP and a 3.89 xFIP, but obviously those numbers don't know about the guys playing behind him.

Bill James' projections hate Porcello: 178ip, 9-11, 4.50 ERA, 1.42 WHIP.

Then there's this:

Governator (Philly): Where's your faith in Porcello come from? Guessing slow/steady improvement and age.

Jason Parks: I think the stuff is slowly getting better, and he shows good pitchability. When it all clicks, I think he really steps forward. Could be this season.

flyingdutchman (Oakland, CA): Sure, his K rate is rising slightly, but it was still only 5.5/9 in 2012, and he posted a 1.53 WHIP, same number of walks, etc. So what does it mean to say that Porcello shows "good pitchability"?

Jason Parks: Pitchability means he knows how to pitch; sequence/feel, changing speeds, changing sight lines, etc. His raw stuff is getting better. He's ticking up across the board. The K's will come. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes another step forward in '13.

flyingdutchman (Oakland, CA): Sorry to bug you, but hey, you've been here all day so it's your fault! Still skeptical on this nebulous "pitchability". If he is getting better at sequencing, getting a better feel, changing speeds, and changing sight lines, why isn't it showing up in his numbers? As for the raw stuff (which it seems the Tigers initially suppressed, frankly), has this improvement been documented in any way, avg MPH, break, etc?

Jason Parks: Because he just hasn't put it all together yet. I think a pitcher has to learn how to miss bats. They can have the pitchablity and they can have the stuff, but they have to learn how to up the intensity and go for the throat. Strikeout pitchers are blood-thirsty sharks. Porcello can get passive and pitch to weak contact, which is fine. But I think he has a chance to go for the throat more in '13. If he can find that missing ingredient, he has the physical ability to make it happen.

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    Bill James' projections hate Porcello: 178ip, 9-11, 4.50 ERA, 1.42 WHIP
    I'm in agreement with James except that he won't get that many innings (unless he gets traded elsewhere). I think that Smyly is clearly the better option for the #5 slot in the Tigers rotation. Porcello allowed the highest batting average of any full-time starting pitcher in the AL last season and has a poor K/9. He is not someone that I'd want anywhere near my 5x5 fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
      I'm in agreement with James except that he won't get that many innings (unless he gets traded elsewhere). I think that Smyly is clearly the better option for the #5 slot in the Tigers rotation. Porcello allowed the highest batting average of any full-time starting pitcher in the AL last season and has a poor K/9. He is not someone that I'd want anywhere near my 5x5 fantasy team.
      Agreed. And I do not want him either.

Comment

I really like Porcello when he first came up and I still like him if he gets moved. As noted he should be a lot better but the infield defense, or lack thereof, really hurts him. Low K totals but very few walks so a good defense should make him a decent option. Even if he gets moved he won't be a top tier guy but I wouldn't mind having him on my bench where I can rotate in when needed.

Comment

24 IP, 21 K, 0 BB this spring. A new beginning for the WHIP killer?

Comment

I tossed some faab at him and used a very late pick in my draft on him. Not expecting much and I'd rather he be traded of course.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I've always thought of Porcello as an Aaron Cook clone, but he's recently started doing something I never thought I'd see -- striking out hitters! Jeff Sullivan had a fun write-up of him today, and I snagged him up just to see what kind of personal torture I could put myself through in owning him. Still, he's been good for about a month now, and his K-rates have elevated to a point where he's an interesting pitcher. Color me intrigued.

Comment

I traded for him early in the season, but gave up on him. It looks like I may have given up too soon.

Comment

I gave up pretty early when it looked like he was the same old Porcello.
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

The window to nab him off the wire appears to be closing rapidly.

Comment

he's on the wire?! Was picked up about a month ago in both my mixed leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                        he's on the wire?! Was picked up about a month ago in both my mixed leagues.
                        It's funny how different this board is than somewhere like Rotoworld. On RW, Porcello is not popular and most people say he's still freely available and that they're "monitoring his situation." But in my leagues, he's been gone for a while. I guess there's a big difference in competition level, but still, Porcello seems like a pretty excellent bet right now. He reminds me of Cliff Lee back when we all finally had given up on him and then he came back and reinvented himself into the ace he is today.

Comment

I grabbed him in my AFA and Mixed leagues this weekend.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
                          Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
                          Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                            It's funny how different this board is than somewhere like Rotoworld. On RW, Porcello is not popular and most people say he's still freely available and that they're "monitoring his situation." But in my leagues, he's been gone for a while. I guess there's a big difference in competition level, but still, Porcello seems like a pretty excellent bet right now. He reminds me of Cliff Lee back when we all finally had given up on him and then he came back and reinvented himself into the ace he is today.
                            always happens after I give up on a guy.

Yeah on rw forums I see that all the time. I think they play in 10-12 team mixed leagues with rosters not especially deep.

When I saw the lack of K's in the beginning of the year I thought he was the same old Porcello we'd seen for years and I dropped him. I didnt even take the epic 9 ER .2 IP beating. After that I erased the name Porcello from my memory.

Comment

Just noticed that Porcello's day/night splits this year are huge with a 6.03/2.48 era before today's game. Wish i had caught that before starting him today.
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X