18 Team Keeper Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 Team Keeper Question

I get to pick 6 keepers for this season. There are no salaries and I can keep them for as long as I want. It's a H2H league with 7x7 scoring (R, 2B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG and W, L, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP). I've listed my team below and I've highlighted the guys I'm leaning towards keeping.

The question I have is, is it dumb to keep three batters who all exclusively play third base? I can start all three of them, but I'd basically be locking up 2 of my 3 utility spots before the draft. I can also try trading one or more away for draft picks and/or other players. So what do you guys think?

Miguel Cabrera (3B)
    J.J. Hardy (SS)
    Garrett Jones (1B,OF)
    Howie Kendrick (2B)
    Manny Machado (3B)
    Yadier Molina (C)
    Jhonny Peralta (SS)
    Josh Reddick (OF)
    Anthony Rizzo (1B)
    Justin Smoak (1B)
    Alfonso Soriano (OF)
    Nick Swisher (1B,OF)
    Jemile Weeks (2B)
    David Wright (3B)

Marco Estrada (SP,RP)
    Luke Gregerson (RP)
    Cole Hamels (SP)
    Casey Janssen (RP)
    Boone Logan (RP)
    Jonathan Papelbon (RP)
    J.J. Putz (RP)
    Max Scherzer (SP)
    James Shields (SP)

I think that you have the right guys chosen, although I might include Scherzer and drop Molina if it's a one catcher league. As far as the 3 third basemen are concerned, I think that you have to keep them all in a dynasty league, remember that Machado might be making a transition back to SS at some point in the future when they decide that Hardy isn't worth the money. Either way, those guys are among your best keepers, so keep 'em.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

You have a nice set of keepers and some tough choices to make.

Given the amount of teams and scoring categories, I personally would find a way to keep Paplebon.

For me I would be thinking of choosing between Rizzo, Machado, and Wright. The pen has always liked Wright a little more than I do (for the money). Because you have so many 3B, I think I keep Rizzo as he has potential. Machado has big upside, but still way more unproven than Wright (yep tough choice). I think I take Wright. So Machado would have to go for me in order to keep an anchor closer.

Comment

I agree with Hornsby, including keeping Scherzer over Molina. But there must be someone you can trade with...
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Given that there are 7 pitching categories I wouldn't stress out over a closer. I think you have the right 6. I agree with everyone else, though, that I'd consider dropping Yadi for Scherzer in a 1-catcher league.

Comment

I would normally agree with other's opinions on the closer, except you are talking an elite closer. If if was an average closer it would be a different discussion.

I wonder what you could get if you packaged Scherzer and Wright or Paplebon and Wright?

I have never played in one catcher league so I am coming at it as if it was 2. Can you clarify if it is 1 or 2?

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I have put out some trade feelers and I'm waiting to hear back. I traded away 4 draft picks last year (2 in a really stupid deal and 2 in a deal that worked out great), so hopefully I can regain some of them. It is just a 1 catcher league.

Comment

Working...
              X