Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you have the same keepers with this roster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you have the same keepers with this roster?

Sure, it's early yet, but I'm bored so.....

Looking at keeping the max of 11, for 97 units
    C MMontero 15-O
    C WRosario 5-S1
    2B DMurphy 6-L2 (can go 1-O and out, OR 6-L2 this year and 11-L1 in 2014 and then out)
    SS SCastro 15-L1
    OF JustinUpton 30-L1
    OF GBlanco 2-S1

SP DGee 2-S1
    SP JMcDonald 1-S1
    RP Betancourt 10-O (or could go 15-L2 and 20-L1)
    RP Cishek 10-S1
    RP DaHernandez 1-O

this would be stellar catching and MI, with a stud OF. need a front end of a rotation, but my work is about done in the 'pen already if all goes well. weakest link may be Blanco, especially with a LOT of OFs available in this auction (roughly 18 or 19 of the top 32 per HQ will be on the board, led by Kemp/CarGo/McCutchen).

that OF depth also shies me away from Kubel at 20, especially with the 4-OF vibe of theirs.

waddya think?
    any dissents on the longterming decisions? Betancourt is old. Love D-Hern, but pay 6 for a setup man in 2013 just to have an option at 11 in 2014? he IS a K machine....
    Last edited by Judge Jude; 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

I don't see any changes necessary. I think the Murphy call is right, you still get profit at 6 and he should have a job in '14, but taking him to 11 sucks out most the profit. McDonald finished poorly, but at 5x5 you need starters and he's worth the dollar. Betancourt will be lucky to be closing by August, much less next year, so no extension. Kubel is a trade candidate and could end up in a less favorable park, what with the 3 other OF and Prado having the potential to play there, should Davidson tear it up in the minors. Hernandez is worth extending in 5x5, and has been the closer in waiting for what seems like forever.

Comment

anyone else on DMurphy or DHernandez?
      same scenarios - either 1-O, or 6-L2 in 2012 and 11-S1 in 2014 (a little unusual pricing system, I realize, but we've always done it that way). If either craps out, no penalty or forced keep of the guy in 2014 - can just not freeze him, though that result would mean I tossed 5 units in the trash for the 2013 auction....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

I would not keep Blanco (especially since you said many OF would be available...I would not want a roster spot tied up)...and I would rather not keep Murphy, but since he's on a long-term deal...though I don't fully understand the penalty for cutting him this year or next. Low risk for this year, just not exciting.

Comment

I'd keep Murphy for $1 and let him go, personally.

I'm also not crazy about Blanco, but it's not like your keeping 5 OF, so I wouldn't worry about the spot. You're likely going to fill one with a $1 or $2 player so it might as well be him if you like him.

Comment

sorry, NL Only: no penalty at all for not keeping in 2014 (some leagues force a keep, or at least make you pay a penalty ot cut a longterm contract).

Murphy is not exciting, but he's a steal at 1 and I'd be fine with an option of 6 in 2013 and again in 2014. but paying 11 in 2014 may eliminate profit, and if so, might be better to just take the profit this year and bid him adeiu.

I get your thinking on Blanco - it's an "opportunity cost" issue. Having the spot taken already could mean that late in the auction, I have enough units left to buy a better player, but OF and UT could be gone. It does help that I'd keep only Upton, though, so I'd have 3 OF and a UT slot going in. no way to be certain if I'll wish I kept a cheap Blanco, or breathe a sigh of relief to have the roster slot available. may come down to the wire; for instance if another Giants OF starts on the DL, then it might make him a little more keepable....

and now I see Stephen has the yang of that dilemma. at least I feel like I am in the right zone on borderline, lol

one other point: I have about the 4th-highest upside of keeper value in the league (3rd if you go by what players went for in LABR), so it's not like I'm on the extreme of great or awful keeper list. It's pretty good, and oddly my strengths are the scarce spots but I need lots of the plentiful (and expensive) stuff....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I am just not a Murphy guy. I would leave him at $1. Any chance they find a guy to take the 2B job from him? Valdespin? Some guy in AAA, Robbie Cano?

Comment

I would say no in 2013, but your point stands since what matters is 2014 - and that's a long ways away.
                "worst" case of not extending is he has a $20 season (possible), and I'll wish I had that $11 option in 2014.
                then again, if I get a $20 season this year for a buck, the champagne should help wash down those wishes.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I definitely would not take Murphy to 11...could see keeping him at 1 or 6...so is he 1 for this year only but 6 if you extend (so then 6 for '13 & '14)? ...but much prefer 1 and done.
                  As for Blanco, in a 12-team league, even with the loss of the Astros, I would hope to get a better last OF or UT and pass on him.

Comment

1 this year OR 6 this year AND (if I choose) 11 in 2014.
                    NO option to make it 6 and 6.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

i would re-sign david murphy to $6, you can always trade him if you fall behind or need a final push for the title

keep blanco, $2 starter that stole 26

as for dhernandez, keep at $1, putz is signed through 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        1 this year OR 6 this year AND (if I choose) 11 in 2014.
                        NO option to make it 6 and 6.....
                        Ah - then I definitely keep Murphy at 1, pocket the extra $5 and use it to upgrade Blanco's spot, etc...even if it means a prospect in that spot.

Comment

i think his league does not allow you draft prospects, i think they have a separate draft for the farm

Comment

I would absolutely keep Blanco. He isn't exciting, but I think you'd do much worse at auction for $2.

NL outfield is thinner this year than in the past - http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ghlight=scarce . Consider Blanco went for $8 in NL LABR
                            http://www.rtsports.com/labr-nl-auction and NL LABR allows the picking of minor leaguers during the auction, so they are working with a wider pool than you are.

Comment

I would keep Murphy at 1 and not go to 6. He won't be a keeper at 11 next year so save the cash.

I *would* go $6 on Hernandez, he will probably earn it this year and Putz is a FA after this year.

I think I would keep Blanco, he'll get you cheap speed and you won't do better for your 5th OF in a 12-team league.

Comment

Working...
                              X