14 Team NL-Only league Trade Offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 Team NL-Only league Trade Offer

I have an offer to take on Cole Hamels @ $32 but I have to take his Beckett contract of $21 that he would have to keep and doesn't want to. I'd be giving up a 3rd round minor league draft pick which is not a big deal in this league due to our existing farm systems.

It is my Second year in a 14 team NL-Only league. I took over the last place team and have been rebuilding. It's a $260 Cap and I have to keep between 7-12. Below are my keeper options. I plan on keeping those with an asterik . If I take on the Hamels and Beckett deal it will put me up to $160 on the books. I think I should take the deal, thoughts?

1B Alonso, Yonder (SDG - OF) 5 2S ****** Extending to $15 for 3 years
    2B Lombardozzi, Steve (WAS - 2B) 6 3S
    3B Sandoval, Pablo (SFO - 3B) 36 3S ******
    CR Moore, Tyler (WAS - 1B) 10 3S
    OF Ethier, Andre (LAD - OF) 29 3S
    OF Quentin, Carlos (SDG - OF) O 15 3S ******
    OF Stanton, Giancarlo (MIA - OF) 20 4L ******

Pitchers
    Pos Name (Team) Game Sal Contract
    P Bass, Anthony (SDG) 3 3S
    P Bastardo, Antonio (PHI) 1 2S
    P Cahill, Trevor (ARI) 21 3S
    P Harvey, Matt (NYM) 5 3S *******
    P Mujica, Edward (STL) 1 3S
    P Romo, Sergio (SFO) 6 2L *******
    P Vogelsong, Ryan (SFO) 10 2S ********
    Last edited by ; 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM.

What are some of the top pitchers salaries at this time.

Also you know your player inflation better than I do, but Sandoval is steep at 36 and Eithier is at 29.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      What are some of the top pitchers salaries at this time.

Also you know your player inflation better than I do, but Sandoval is steep at 36 and Eithier is at 29.

Last years draft the three highest pitchers were Cliff Lee for $40, Gallerdo $37, Lincecum $36

I wasn't planning on keeping Ethier. I realize Sandoval is probably at market value ( Big free agents last year were Votto at $55 and Justin Upton at $47, at 3B Wright went for $40 and ARam $28) and I'm not in love with the value but I feel that I need more offense.
      Last edited by ; 02-16-2013, 04:46 PM.

Comment

What kind of pitching will be back in the auction?

I think I pass on the deal unless you can drop Beckett and pay some type of fine. But if you really have to keep Beckett he will drag down Hamels numbers. I would not be willing to pay my 3rd round pick for the privilige of spending 53 on the combined numbers of Hamels and Beckett.

Comment

HQ has Hamels at $34 and Beckett but just $5, but I think Beckett is worth more in 14-team NL because he's not near an end-gamer - you guys will buy virtually every starter, and there are some worse ones out there for sure.

So you'd be paying $53. Whether it's worth it depends on your league inflation.
          If you're not clear on that, are FA pickups priced at $10 the next season? what are farmhands priced at?
          the more unusually low pricing rules there are in place (like $1 for FAs), the more inflation would be likely to be since many of those guys would be kept as bargains. If no in-season pickups could be kept, you would expect to see less inflation, for instance.

If the INFLATED value of Hamels and Beckett is more than $53, then it's liable to be worth it. Same if Hamels could easily be traded in a dump deal at midseason if need be, as opposed to if there's a strict salary cap or anti-dumping language..
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

$53 for Cole and Beckett is way too much for me. There has to be better value coming back in the auction, no? Sandoval is high too. He can't stay on the field. Always seems a little overrated to me.

Comment

If it's less than a clear winner for you, don't lock up that much money if you're trying to rebuild.

Comment

I tend to agree. You have your min of 7, so just go with that. Beckett is a guy to throw out early and hope that his name has him go for more than he's worth.

Comment

I think you only go buying Hamels if you are playing for this year but it seems like you're invested more for next? Hamels is a stud at value here but you are just going to carry him maybe with the plan to flip him for a prospect later. It's hard to say definitively without analyzing the FA pool at the auction but I'd just assume not be taking on a tank salary like Beckett's. He might be good this year but I don't see him as a long-term commodity and to have to take him on just to get an at-value Hamels doesn't make sense. Beckett will be on your team all year and maybe Hamels is a Cy Young form and could fetch you a big prospect. But who knows. It could work but it just seems too weighted against you.

You have to know what's at auction and buy what you can build around. Get those guys and next year go for it with a few big bats.
                  Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Id love to play in a 14 team NL only, did you make any adjustments for the loss of the astros?

I dont like the deal as a rebuilding one...its better if you are going for it this year
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm going to calculate inflation from last year today (kinda time consuming).

Sounds like most wouldn't do it. I'm on the fence since it's such a deep league and although I'm not a Beckett fan, he is comparable to guys like Billingsly and Cahill who both went for $20 last year (every starter but J.A Happ was paid for last year). Strikeouts don't count as well (4x4) but I agree that $53 is a lot to take on if I don't see myself competing. However, I don't want to go into a year with the mindset that I can't compete this year.

The free agents go for $10 and the farm players go for $5 once called up. As far as the Astros, the league eliminated a Utility and middle infielder spot and lowered the requirement for position eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Milos View Post
                        Thanks for all of the responses. I'm going to calculate inflation from last year today (kinda time consuming).

Sounds like most wouldn't do it. I'm on the fence since it's such a deep league and although I'm not a Beckett fan, he is comparable to guys like Billingsly and Cahill who both went for $20 last year (every starter but J.A Happ was paid for last year). Strikeouts don't count as well (4x4) but I agree that $53 is a lot to take on if I don't see myself competing. However, I don't want to go into a year with the mindset that I can't compete this year.

The free agents go for $10 and the farm players go for $5 once called up. As far as the Astros, the league eliminated a Utility and middle infielder spot and lowered the requirement for position eligibility.
                        In 4x4 for sure I wouldn't do it. I would take the extra money and spend it on saves and speed.

Comment

Working...
                        X