What Would You Trade For The #3 Pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Trade For The #3 Pick?

Mixed, 12 team ESPN 5x5 H2H League...I drew the lucky #12 draft slot. The guy with the #3 pick today sends out feelers because he wants to trade down. What would you pay to move up from 12 to 3?

I was thinking of something like My 1 and 10 for his 1 and 16. He'd move down 11 spots in the first to trade up 60 spots later in the draft. Is that fair? Is that even something that I would want to do?

I'm open to suggestions.

Is this just a one year re-draft? If so, I'm not sure what motivation he'd have to make that move and it seems like it'd be a lot easier to just trade draft slots altogether if you don't want to draft from the 3 hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
      Is this just a one year re-draft? If so, I'm not sure what motivation he'd have to make that move and it seems like it'd be a lot easier to just trade draft slots altogether if you don't want to draft from the 3 hole.
      Yeah, I agree -- the move up to #3 from #12 is worth far more than moving up 60 spots into the 10th round.

I think he'd need to get something more, like swapping his 5th rounder for your 3rd, or his 10th rounder for your 6th or 7th.

It probably should be looked at Ryan Braun/Miggy Cabrera/Mike Trout (why does he want to trade down?) for Evan Longoria/Prince Fielder, so what else would need to be added to that duo to even it out?

Comment

just swap first and second round choices...

Comment

no way I see anyone making that move. If I were 3 I would only consider draft slot swap and a mid pick upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            One year re-draft.

Comment

I don't know what his motivation is or exactly what he is looking for. That's a great suggestion to see if he simply wants to swap from 3 to 12.

Comment

I would guess he's just hoping one of his opponents would go nuts to have that pick...no way would he take that offer you asked about. I don't even think the #3 spot is that great. There are more than 3 in the top tier...I'd rather pick 6th or 7th and land Pujols, McCutchen, or Votto.

I should add that I haven't participated in a draft league (for $) in over a decade so I could be way off.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I would guess he's just hoping one of his opponents would go nuts to have that pick...no way would he take that offer you asked about. I don't even think the #3 spot is that great. There are more than 3 in the top tier...I'd rather pick 6th or 7th and land Pujols, McCutchen, or Votto.

I should add that I haven't participated in a draft league (for $) in over a decade so I could be way off.
                  I think you are on to something...his feelers may not be directed to someone with such a low pick. He probably sees 5 or 6 guys as being really close at the top and wants to see if he can move down just a few spots and pick up a mid round pick out of it. Moving all the way down to 12 though, he may balk at that unless you are agressive with your offer.

Comment

I asked him if he wanted to trade positions for the entire draft and he instead offered his 1/2/5 for my 1/2/3. So, basically, we're even after the first two rounds, but I sacrifice my 3rd (pick 36) for his 5th (pick 51). Any opinions?

I'm not necessarily against picking 12th, but the opportunity to snag one of Miggy/Braun/Trout is very enticing.

Comment

I wouldn't do it.

I just don't think the difference between 3 and 12 is significant enough to make up the difference between not having a pick in the 3rd round at all.

For the sake of using ranking sites that are public & free (even if rather flawed) I'll use the MLB 2013 Player Preview's & Yahoo's Fantasy Rankings to show the differences between those pics. I'll put in the player rated just before and just after your pick to equate for randomness. I personally an against taking pitching in the first 5 rounds so I am also removing pitchers and adding the next closest players were applicable

Edit: Since you're drafting on ESPN I'll also put in their rankings to equate for auto drafting/ranking possibilities. For that I'll leave in pitchers.

If you keep the 12th pick:
                      MLB 2013 Player Preview
                      12 Fielder/Bautista/Stanton
                      13 Bautista/Stanton/JUpton
                      36 Cespedes/Encarnacion/Phillips

Yahoo's Rankings
                      12 Stanton/Tulowitzki/Bautusta
                      13 Tulowitzki/Bautista/Beltre
                      36 Harper/Ellsbury/Bruce

ESPN Rankings
                      12 Upton/Verlander/Kershaw/Stanton
                      13 Verlander/Kershaw/Stanton/Posey
                      36 Bruce/Harper/Butler

If you make the trade for the #3 slot in rounds 1, 2 and 5
                      MLB 2013 Player Preview
                      3 Cabrera/Trout/Braun
                      22 HRamirez/Reyes/Pedroia
                      60 Headley/Lawrie/Sandoval

Yahoo's Rankings
                      3 Trout/Braun/Cabrera
                      22 Wright/JUpton/Pedroia
                      60 Lawrie/Headley/Sandoval

ESPN Rankings
                      3 Braun/Trout/Cabrera
                      22 FHernandez/HRamirez/SStrasburg/DPrice
                      60 Dickey/Sabathia/Kipness/Jackson

Obviously, players could fall or someone could picked earlier so all of this is theoretical at best, but for me it comes down to is the difference between Braun/Stanton going to be so vast that it makes up for the difference in Cespedes/Ellsbury/Harper to Headley/Sandoval/Lawrie.

I personally don't think it is worth it.
                      Last edited by Stephen; 02-16-2013, 10:36 AM. Reason: Adding in ESPN Rankings

Comment

Working...
                      X