Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

auction dates - better to be early or late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auction dates - better to be early or late?

my main league is discussing auction dates, and the only possibilities are either two weeks before the season starts or one week after.

i've never liked auctions after the season has begun, and don't see a problem with doing it two weeks before, but i'm getting some serious pushback.

but i'm curious what folks thoughts are on the choice between those two options?

i thought i might get some insight by trying to get some statistics from CBS, Yahoo, or ESPN on when their live auctions took place relative to the season start (just to see what the bulk of leagues do), but i can't find any tabulation of it (maybe i'm not looking in the right place).
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Why are you getting pushback for two weeks before opening day? That's one of the most common times to do an auction. And it's very surprising that others would prefer one week after opening day versus two weeks prior. The only time we held our auction after opening day was two years ago because we went to NOLA and wanted to be there during the French Quarter Festival.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

In the olden days, auctions were always after the season started, since the leagues were "only", and you needed to know exactly who made the opening day rosters. Nowadays, especially with mixed leagues, it doesn't matter so much.

I like having the auction before the season, even in an only league, as it rewards those who study and have all the last minute position battles figured out.

Comment

I hate doing it after the season starts but my league does it every once in a while to avoid easter or whatever.

Comment

the main objection seems to be uncertainty about player situations. :shrug:

i've done many auctions two weeks before - you just deal with those kinds of things. and it's usually only a handful of players anyway.

problem is one of our stronger-opinioned (and founding) owners is the main one giving the pushback.
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
            the main objection seems to be uncertainty about player situations. :shrug:

i've done many auctions two weeks before - you just deal with those kinds of things. and it's usually only a handful of players anyway.

problem is one of our stronger-opinioned (and founding) owners is the main one giving the pushback.
            Just pull a hornsby and presto, problem solved!
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              lols. problem is i'm not commish this year - we rotate between the five founding owners, and i'm out right now ...

Comment

lols. problem is i'm not commish this year - we rotate between the five founding owners, and i'm out right now ...
                Well, then....down with the despot!
                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  So what you're saying is be extremely reasonable, don't listen to people who complain just to complain, and make a Solomon-like decision? Sound advise!
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                  - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                  -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                    In the olden days, auctions were always after the season started, since the leagues were "only", and you needed to know exactly who made the opening day rosters. Nowadays, especially with mixed leagues, it doesn't matter so much.

I like having the auction before the season, even in an only league, as it rewards those who study and have all the last minute position battles figured out.
                    dealing with who makes which team is an issue for our league, since we've always had a rule that you can only purchase players at auction that are on the 25-man. *and* we have an odd mix of ML teams (it's not NL- or AL-only; we have teams in both leagues, but we don't have all teams - we have 1.3*Ngm of them). it causes us all sorts of headaches going into every auction. that's one of the wrinkles with this discussion. i think we should deal with it by making a new rule that you have to drop players that don't end up on their 25-man roster, but we don't have such a rule currently.

Comment

I definitely side with the two weeks before date for the reasons Lucky mentioned.

We only allow players on the 25-man to be drafted in the auction as well and we use mlbdepthcharts.com to be our "official" source for 25-man rosters before the actual official rosters are set opening day. We have reserve rosters so any player who winds up not on the opening day 25-man has to be reserved and replaced.
                      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                        We have reserve rosters so any player who winds up not on the opening day 25-man has to be reserved and replaced.
                        i'm surprised you even allow that. i'd think that'd be a way to stash a good prospect or two on your reserve roster instead of minor league roster? (that is, if you have minor leaguers.)

Comment

We do have minor leaguers, but mlbdepthcharts most likely won't place them on the 25-man unless they are reported likely to break camp with the team, and by two weeks before opening day that's usually starting to shake out. Plus, since we do have reserve rosters, the majority of prospects who are likely to hit the majors this year are already owned and kept. Bottom line, it's never been an issue.

ETA: Sorry, to clarify, we don't have a separate reserve and minor league roster, but in any event, neither would affect the auction phase when only players on the 25-man (or projected on the 25-man) are eligible.
                          Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

We did our AL 10 days before the season started last year, and there wasn't a single top prospect still up in camp at that point, they all had been sent down. You'll have at most a straggler or two left (last year I think AZ waited until the last minute to send down Tyler Skaggs). It's not worth postponing your auction for three more weeks.

Comment

i'm surprised you even allow that. i'd think that'd be a way to stash a good prospect or two on your reserve roster instead of minor league roster? (that is, if you have minor leaguers.)
                              To be honest, I've never fully understood why we make such a distinction between players when we draft. I'm in more than one league in which you can draft anyone in the NL, even minor leaguers. People throw their hands up and scream ANARCHY! and imagine owners stocking up unimaginable talent. Truth is, it doesn't happen this way. Sure, maybe once in a while, but WAY less than the times when you KNOW a player is coming up this year and you want to take a chance on him in the draft. 99% of the time this stuff works itself out. For example a rebuilder trying to stock minor leaguers last year i the NL would have grabbed Arenado, Wong, Tavarez, Rendon, and a couple of other guys who never got a sniff. It was all wasted, because now their contracts are a year older and by the time any of them are worth anything, they will be expired. Even a guy like Trout or Harper would have been bid up to at least $10 or so.

I just think the hassle and handwringing we do to insure such-and-such a player is on the 25-man or the 40-man or the minors is just mostly wasted energy.

Comment

Working...
                              X