2k13: Your record-breaking Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Davros View Post
    Head-to Head record between the two teams is the first tie breaker if they have identical overall records. Looks like the Reds and Pirates are tied 8-8 in the head-to-head matchups, so if both teams win or lose today, the winner of this weekend's series would get home field advantage for the Wild Card playoff game. They can't tie if they have differing results today.
    This 8-8 in head-to-head matchups makes for a good last weekend; unless Pirates win today and Reds lose today, the winner of the series gets home field advantage. Would be even more exciting if they were playing the series for a playoff spot instead of home field advantage.

Comment

• all you can eat on scenarios, including the 93-69 conundrum

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• So the Reds/Bucs winner (assuming they are wild cards) will play the Cards (assuming they maintain best overall record). Baseball needs to quit changing rules. I am too old to start remembering more stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by dslaw View Post
          So the Reds/Bucs winner (assuming they are wild cards) will play the Cards (assuming they maintain best overall record). Baseball needs to quit changing rules. I am too old to start remembering more stuff.
          Only if the Cardinals wind up with the best record in the league. Obviously, that's not settled yet. The wild card could wind up playing either the Braves or Dodgers.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

• The Battlin' Buccos get a home playoff game! Liriano has been lights out at home this year. If he is again and the Bucs can win they will AJ and Cole to pitch games 1 and 2 in the next round. Come on Bucs, win one Tuesday and give us all a whole playoff series to enjoy.

Comment

• Of course, as soon as the Pirates beat the Reds Saturday to get the home field for the wild card game, the sour grapes started from Reds fans. Lots of "It doesn't matter where we play them, we'll win, I guarantee it" garbage, mostly from people who "guaranteed" a Reds series win. I just roll my eyes and keep going when the locals get this way.

It does matter, economically as well as on the field. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it's an advantage.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

• For those of you who are superstitious, i heard on Pittsburgh sports talk radio today that Sid Bream will be attending the Wild Card Playoff game at PNC Park on Tuesday. Bream resides in the Pittsburgh area and is an avid Pirates fan. I'm sure the TV cameras will find him on Tuesday.

Supposedly, Atlanta asked Bream to throw out the first pitch if the Braves and Pirates meet in the playoffs and Bream respectfully declined. He knows that for more than twenty years, Pirates fans have been fuming over Bream scoring the winning run for the Braves to keep the Bucs out of the World Series. Bream, who by all accounts is a great guy, is just as anxious for the Pirates to succeed so their fans can finally put that 92 playoff game behind them. He says that Pirates fans remind him almost every day how painful that play was for them. The poor guy even received death threats from some of the idiot fans back in the nineties. So, he's been bearing more of a burden from that game than even the members of the 92 Pirates!
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I am a wreck. I don't know how I am going to make it through this game if it remains close the whole way. I am going to a bar so I can be around some of the atmosphere, but not going downtown. I believe in Liriano and hopefully the Bucs can get a run early against Cueto. Let's go Bucs!

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                    I am a wreck. I don't know how I am going to make it through this game if it remains close the whole way. I am going to a bar so I can be around some of the atmosphere, but not going downtown. I believe in Liriano and hopefully the Bucs can get a run early against Cueto. Let's go Bucs!
                    I may not even watch. I'm that convinced that I disrupt the karma of my team. Bad things happen to them as soon as I turn the TV on to their games or walk into a place where they're on. Heck, I may not even check the score until midnight.

Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

-- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      I may not even watch. I'm that convinced that I disrupt the karma of my team. Bad things happen to them as soon as I turn the TV on to their games or walk into a place where they're on. Heck, I may not even check the score until midnight.

Not that I'm superstitious or anything.
                      We may have found the problem you have been having with your fantasy teams. You check on their scores and stats. Next year, go blind all year!

Comment

• Raise it!

JOLLY+ROGER+(2).jpg
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• See you in St Louis!

BU5Xh9XCMAAhCS4.jpg

― Albert Einstein

Comment

We may have found the problem you have been having with your fantasy teams. You check on their scores and stats. Next year, go blind all year!
                            I may check less often. Bog knows I need to change SOMETHING.

Tonight's game--I'm so glad that Dusty held his year-long "ace", Latos, back to pitch the first game against the Cardinals. Using Cueto in this win-or-go-home game was a stroke of genius on his part. I can hardly wait to read and hear all the excuse-making tonight and tomorrow here in "Reds Country".

Finishing over .500 was important. Making the playoffs was huge. Eliminating the Reds makes my year. And the party isn't over yet!

-- William James

Comment

• Raise it! What a great night, I can't wait for the Cards series to start. Go Bucs!

Comment

Raise it! What a great night, I can't wait for the Cards series to start. Go Bucs!
                                One thing the Pirates have going to for them is that unlike the Reds, the Cards aren't in their heads. Except for that one last series this year, the Cardinals have had the Reds' number for a while.

However, let's not get over-confident. The Cardinals are tough, and they're playoff veterans.

But boy, would I love to see the Pirates keep going. That WTF $25 at 40-1 I put on them last December in Vegas would be a sweet bet to collect.

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X