2k13: Your record-breaking Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    I just followed the link to Baseball Prospectus and went by their Pitcher's WAR rankings.
    Oh, BP. There are three of them now, B-R, BP, and Fangraphs.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
      Oh, BP. There are three of them now, B-R, BP, and Fangraphs.
      Oops, I meant B-R

Comment

Pirates AAA RF Andrew Lambo with 2 more homers Tuesday, now has 31 HR, 92 RBI, along with a .282 BA with his numbers almost evenly split between AA & AAA. He has to be called up soon. He has to be better than Tabata/Presley/Snider.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
          Pirates AAA RF Andrew Lambo with 2 more homers Tuesday, now has 31 HR, 92 RBI, along with a .282 BA with his numbers almost evenly split between AA & AAA. He has to be called up soon. He has to be better than Tabata/Presley/Snider.
          That was his fifth shot at AA (Dodgers first stuck him in there at age 19, he's 24 now). He's showing good isoPower now, and he's shown good contact rate at times in the past, but he's no lock to be better than a major leaguer. He's actually one day older than Tabata.
          people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Don't expect to see Lambo with #Pirates soon. Hurdle: "We're trying to find out what ceilings and capabilities are (for Presley & Tabata)."
            4 retweets
            Sent 31 mins ago

From beat writer rob biertemple
            From web

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Don't expect to see Lambo with #Pirates soon. Hurdle: "We're trying to find out what ceilings and capabilities are (for Presley & Tabata)."
              4 retweets
              Sent 31 mins ago

From web
              And this was Pirates GM Neal Huntington's take just one week ago:

by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com
              (7/31/13) The trade deadline came and passed without the Pirates making a big move to bolster their lineup Wednesday, but general manager Neal Huntington does not think his lineup is set. He told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that minor-league outfielder Andrew Lambo could be an option to play right field down the stretch.
              "We got Andrew for a reason," Huntington said.
              Last edited by madducks; 08-07-2013, 11:27 PM.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                And this was Pirates GM Neal Huntington's take just one week ago:

by Chris Towers | CBSSports.com
                (7/31/13) The trade deadline came and passed without the Pirates making a big move to bolster their lineup Wednesday, but general manager Neal Huntington does not think his lineup is set. He told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that minor-league outfielder Andrew Lambo could be a an option to play right field down the stretch.
                "We got Andrew for a reason," Huntington said.
                He says that now. At the time, Lambo was a sputtering prospect with character issues coming off a 50-game suspension. Of course, he was part of another idiotic Coletti trade - Lambo and JMac for a month's worth of Dotel (that's right, they traded him again for basically nothing in late August). He was considered a talented youngster at one point, so it's not unthinkable that he could've turned a corner, but color me skeptical.

Comment

He says that now. At the time, Lambo was a sputtering prospect with character issues coming off a 50-game suspension. Of course, he was part of another idiotic Coletti trade - Lambo and JMac for a month's worth of Dotel (that's right, they traded him again for basically nothing in late August). He was considered a talented youngster at one point, so it's not unthinkable that he could've turned a corner, but color me skeptical.
                  I'm skeptical, too, but for a different reason. I look at all the "prospects" the Pirates have traded for in the last two decades that never came close to working out and say, "Please prove me wrong, be the guy who becomes a solid regular." If he does, a Lambo-Cutch-Marte outfield could be absolute dynamite.
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Liriano does it again! This is shaping up to be some race for the NL Cy Young award between him, Harvey, Kershaw and Wainwright.
                    Ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      4 retweets
                      Sent 31 mins ago

From web
                      Lambo called up today.

Comment

I didn't believe the denial about Lambo for even a second. RF has been mix-and-match all year due to injuries and ineffectiveness, so Lambo is worth at least a medium-sized trial. If he doesn't cut it, they'll go back to Tabata-Snider-Presley-Whoever and hope for the best.
                        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                          I didn't believe the denial about Lambo for even a second. RF has been mix-and-match all year due to injuries and ineffectiveness, so Lambo is worth at least a medium-sized trial. If he doesn't cut it, they'll go back to Tabata-Snider-Presley-Whoever and hope for the best.
                          I think Hurdle knew Lambo was getting the call soon, but was just trying to show loyalty to the guys that were playing rf at the time. Hurdle and Huntington are very good at the loyal mgr/cutthroat gm routine. We'll probably see it again with Wandy over Morton next month.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Does it make sense to hedge my bets and trade for a $5 Lambo when I already have a $1 Tabata? My offense would have to deal with the downgrade from AGon to Headley in the process while I try to keep my stats respectable enough to finish in 8th-10th so I'm allowed more keepers.

Comment

Does it make sense to hedge my bets and trade for a $5 Lambo when I already have a $1 Tabata? My offense would have to deal with the downgrade from AGon to Headley in the process while I try to keep my stats respectable enough to finish in 8th-10th so I'm allowed more keepers.
                              I don't think so. I don't know that either of them is really a good keeper and Lambo is no sure thing to outpace Tabata the rest of the way. The difference between them isn't even close to the difference between AGon and Headley.

Comment

Didn't pull the trigger after all. Wound up going for a $1 Wong and Satin as a replacement. Not quite the deadline blockbuster I was hoping for, but I needed some MI keeper help.

Comment

Working...
                                X