No announcement yet.

2k13: Your record-breaking Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone think it's sell high time on Jason Grilli? He is on pace to pitch the most innings of his career this season. Just curious what you guys think.

Comment

If the last couple of years are a trend expect the Pirates to go something like 25-55 the 2nd half of the season. A lot less save chances for Grilli even if he does continue to pitch well. I would trade him if you can upgrade somewhere else.

Comment

I know 20+ years of bad teams would be a good explanation for the pessimism, but the Pirates appear to me to have great chance at finishing strong the rest of the year.

1) The starting pitching is better now than it was at the start of the year: Liriano was hurt at start of the year, most didn't project this type of recovery for him. And Cole was in the minors.
        2) The middle infield are no longer automatic outs: Walker was hurt for awhile and Mercer is better than Barmes.
        3) The rest of the offense: is anyone other than Russell Martin's OPS significantly better than historical production?

Contrast this with the Cardinals, who are pretty much the same team now as they were at the start of the year, and with one starter (Jaime Garcia) out for the year.

Comment

I am sure the players on the team do not feel the same way the fan base does. Most of them have only been here a few years so even though they have gone through 2 late season collapses that means they had 2 good seasons up until the collapse. Most of us fans have been watching them lose, and lose, and lose for so long we just expect it to happen and are almost waiting for it.

That said, I do agree a pitching staff of Burnett, Lirioano, Cole, Locke and Wandy looks pretty formidable. The back end of the bullpen has been excellent and they actually have what looks like a major league lineup. I am not sold on the RF situation and would like to see them make a move there, but I like the rest of it. Hopefully this is the year we as fans in Pittsburgh get to watch a playoff race and maybe even the playoffs. At the very least they need to end the streak.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
            I know 20+ years of bad teams would be a good explanation for the pessimism, but the Pirates appear to me to have great chance at finishing strong the rest of the year.

1) The starting pitching is better now than it was at the start of the year: Liriano was hurt at start of the year, most didn't project this type of recovery for him. And Cole was in the minors.
            2) The middle infield are no longer automatic outs: Walker was hurt for awhile and Mercer is better than Barmes.
            3) The rest of the offense: is anyone other than Russell Martin's OPS significantly better than historical production?

Contrast this with the Cardinals, who are pretty much the same team now as they were at the start of the year, and with one starter (Jaime Garcia) out for the year.
            The Pirates do not have the Cardinals' kool-aid that lets them hit .333 with RISP all season.

Comment

Win #47 tonight. Only need 35 for a successful season. Anything beyond 85 wins is a bonus IMO, a playoff berth almost inconceivable (and yes, that word does mean what I think it means).

Pardon my pessimism, but based on what I've seen in 50 previous years of rooting for the Pirates, anything bad is possible (so are a lot of good things, but it's been so long since '79). I won't believe they'll finish over .500 until the day after win #82.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

The Pirates now have the best record in baseball at 49-30 after their 7th straight win Friday night against the Brewers!

Some tough decisions will have to be made in the next few weeks concerning the rotation after Burnett & Rodriguez return from the DL.

Burnett (R) 4-6, 3.12 era
                Rodriguez (L) 6-4, 3.59
                Liriano (L) 6-3, 2.30
                Locke (L) 7-1, 2.06
                Gomez (R) 2-0, 2.76
                Morton (R) 1-1, 2.81
                Cole (R) 4-0, 3.70

I'm thinking Cole gets sent back to AAA temporarily with Gomez & Morton battling for the final rotation spot. Gomez and/or Morton could also end up as trade bait if the Pirates decide to upgrade in right field. Both Travis Snider and Jose Tabata have failed to lock up that job and it is the Pirates most pressing need at the moment. Another quality arm or two in the bullpen might be a good idea as well, so that Grilli and Melancon don't get overworked.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Gomez and/or Morton could also end up as trade bait if the Pirates decide to upgrade in right field.
                  Hey, Delmon Young's getting hot...
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Andre Ethier for Gerrit Cole, consider it done

Comment

50 wins at the halfway (almost) mark!
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Pedro Alvarez is now hitting .284/.346/.636 since 5/1

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          50 wins at the halfway (almost) mark!
                          So they are record-breaking! That's the first time in their 127-year history they've had 50+ wins by the halfway point!

Comment

Francisco Liriano really has to be one of the best bottom-of-the-barrel free agent pickups in recent memory. NL Cy Young winner? He's gotta be a top MVP candidate at this point.

Comment

It is truly amazing what is going on here. I was playing in my summer basketball league and a guy pulls up and yells out the score after Pedro's HR. Everyone is into this now, and I am too but 20 plus years of things going wrong does make me cautious. These next 4 games should be fun, hopefully they can at least split and win the series.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                                Francisco Liriano really has to be one of the best bottom-of-the-barrel free agent pickups in recent memory. NL Cy Young winner? He's gotta be a top MVP candidate at this point.
                                As I mentioned in the other thread on Liriano, the reason I recommended Liriano in May, and landed him myself, is because I was so impressed with the results relative to expectation of the pitchers on the Pirates last year. You look at the results this year, not just with Liriano, who has always had tantalizing talent, but their amazing bullpen (before he went down, I have to think Grilli and Malancon were the best 8-9 duo in baseball), along with the continued impressiveness of Burnett, how Locke has exceeded expectations, and how they are handling Cole, and someone should be getting more recognition in that organization. Someone is doing something right there. Dave Duncan level impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                X