2k13: Your record-breaking Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k13: Your record-breaking Pittsburgh Pirates

Will this be the year that ends the Pirates' record streak of losing seasons? Can they at least play competent baseball for a whole season without completely falling off a cliff? Well the answer to the 1st question has a lot to do with the second.

Catcher

Russell Martin hit .211 for the Yankees and then signed the richest free agent contract in Pirates history. But he did jack 21 bombs and it wasn't a product of Yankee Stadium. He earns high marks for his framing, and maybe he can help the Pirates pitchers be less incompetent at holding runners.

Michael "Fort" McKenry is the backup, he had a good run last year but was exposed with regular PT. Project his 240 AB, .233-12hr season down to about 150 AB and that's probably what you have. Maybe the AVG comes up a bit if he's spotted well.

At some point the Pirates will probably call up Tony Sanchez to see what he can do. Good glove, no bat.

Infield

Neil Walker at 2B, Pedro Alvarez at 3B, Clint Barmes at SS. Sadly the Pirates don't have anyone to push Barmes for time this year - Jordy Mercer isn't the real deal, neither is Chase D'Arnaud, and Josh Harrison is a horrible defensive SS. Harrison and Mercer will probably be the utility guys. Garrett Jones is a trade candidate, but if he sticks around he should platoon with Gaby Sanchez at 1B. GI Jones has power but his AVG comes and goes.

Quad-A guy Clint Robinson could earn a spot as a PH, but probably loses out to Jerry Sands if the Bucs want a guy like that.

Outfield

Andrew McCutchen is an all-star, and the best thing about the Pirates. He probably doesn't hit .327 again but he's a 25/25 candidate. Starling Marte should be the starter in LF and is the leading candidate to hit leadoff. He can hit 10+ bombs and steal 30, but his AVG won't help you. Right field will probably be a platoon of Travis Snider and Jerry Sands/Jose Tabata, with the loser of the righty battle going to AAA. Great return on that 9-year contract they gave Tabata. I have no idea if any of these guys will work out. Alex Presley, darling of a couple years ago, is also lurking in the wings. Snider has the best upside if you want to gamble on someone.

Rotation

AJ Burnett was legitimately good last year and his peripherals say it was real. He throws a lot of ground balls. James McDonald was dominant for a half season, and very few pitchers who put up a half season like that aren't at least usable. Francisco Liriano is a reclamation project; PNC could be a nice park for him, but he consistently underperforms his FIP/xFIP and I am not sure the Bucs are the team to fix that. Wandy Rodriguez is pretty WYSIWYG. Jeff Karstens is slated as the #5, but the Pirates have a TON of guys who could step into that role.

Reclamation project Jonathan Sanchez, already tested youngsters Kyle McPherson and Jeff Locke, grizzled veterans of suckiness Vin Mazzaro and Jeanmar Gomez, and recent acquisition Andy Oliver. I would bet on McPherson out of any of them, followed by Locke. Gerrit Cole could be up after the all-star break and give a Matt Harvey-esque debut.

Bullpen

Jason Grilli is either the best out-of-nowhere story ever, or a fluke who emerged under suspicious circumstances. I think it is mostly the former, but you never know. His K/9 is awesome and he has closer stuff if he doesn't turn back into a pumpkin. Mark Melancon was a great acquisition for the departed Joel Hanrahan, he is definitely Grilli's handcuff and could match what Hammer did last season. There are some moderate to high upside arms here in Jared Hughes, Justin Wilson, Victor Black and Bryan Morris, but damned if I could guess which one will break out.

And the Pirates signed Brandon Inge to a minor league deal with an invite to camp.

Championship!

Comment

Garett Jones had a pretty nice season at least on some of the counting numbers, why move him? Can't he play some bad OF too?

Comment

Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
        Garett Jones had a pretty nice season at least on some of the counting numbers, why move him? Can't he play some bad OF too?
        Yeah, but he's already old, and late bloomers tend to fade early. With Sands, Sanchez, Hague, Matt Curry, Alex Dickerson... 1B is relatively deep with mediocre talent. And the OF is similarly stacked up with Marte/Cutch as long-term starters and Sands, Tabata, Presley, Snider, Polanco, Bell, Barnes all vying for one long-term spot.

The Pirates have zilch in terms of long-term catchers if/when Sanchez bombs. Maybe Alan Hanson is the answer at SS. AJ and Wandy aren't that young so even if two of Cole/Taillon/Heredia pan out, and 1 of the current AAA/MLB guys like McPherson pans out to pair with J-Mac, SP is still going to be a need long-term. So if they can fill a long-term hole by dealing GFJ they probably should.

Comment

How about Stolmy Pimentel, the kid PIT got back (with Sands) from Boston for Joel Hanrahan? Is Pimentel in the mix for a rotation spot?
          Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
            How about Stolmy Pimentel, the kid PIT got back (with Sands) from Boston for Joel Hanrahan? Is Pimentel in the mix for a rotation spot?
            Dealing with Visa issues so he'll be late to camp. The Pirates have a fairly established top-5, and if Liriano isn't ready to start the year, I would expect Locke or McPherson would get the first crack at replacing him. I think Stolmy is probably #8 or worse on the SP depth chart.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              I know it's spring training, but Pirates pitchers walked 15 batters today.

Where's that bag-on-the-head smiley again? Brutal.
              I also cringed when i first read that. Though, upon examining the box score, 11 of the 15 walks and 11 of the 16 runs were by three guys who are ticketed for the minors. Jonathon Sanchez, with 4 bb & 4 er in 0.2 ip, being one of them.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Jose Tabata is having a good spring: http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/ne...ticle_42222820

The reawakening of Jose Tabata continues as a leading recurring theme of the Pirates' Spring Training. He talks about feeling like a new man, club staffers talk about seeing a new man.
                An irresistible revival by Tabata complicates an already complex situation in right field. The Pirates really want Travis Snider to stand out and nail down the job: He is young (under team control for three more years) and a high-upside, two-way player. Clint Robinson, Jerry Sands, Alex Presley and incumbent Garrett Jones are also in line. Felix Pie has looked sharp, and two other non-roster candidates (Darren Ford and Brad Hawpe) have also done noteworthy things.

Comment

That's a lot of corner OF/1B candidates for four spots: Marte, Snider, Tabata, Sands, Presley, Jones, and Sanchez.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    That's a lot of corner OF/1B candidates for four spots: Marte, Snider, Tabata, Sands, Presley, Jones, and Sanchez.
                    Marte is pretty much locked in as a starter in LF. GFJ needs a platoon partner at 1B, so that can be Sanchez or Sands. Tabata/Snider sharing RF in some fashion is the likely outcome, the question is how many ABs does each of them get?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                      Marte is pretty much locked in as a starter in LF. GFJ needs a platoon partner at 1B, so that can be Sanchez or Sands. Tabata/Snider sharing RF in some fashion is the likely outcome, the question is how many ABs does each of them get?
                      The fantasy answer is probably not enough for any of them to be worth what you would have to pay.

Comment

Sanchez has also been practicing at 3B. He played a few innings there recently and did ok. He played a little 3B in the minors but never in the big leagues until now. So if Alvarez slumps, he could be in a platoon as well.
                        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

A new candidate has emerged for the #5 spot: Phil Irwin

Heading into Spring Training, the 5th starter battle seemed to be a two-man race. There was Jeff Locke and Kyle McPherson, with guys like Jonathan Sanchez and Jeanmar Gomez competing, but both having an outside shot of making the team as a starter. So far Locke and McPherson haven't stepped up, and neither have Sanchez

I get why McPherson is a serious contender for the rotation. But why is Irwin an afterthought?

There are some differences between the two. Both have amazing command, but McPherson has the better fastball. They both have good curveballs, with the edge possibly going to Irwin. I’d give the changeup edge to McPherson. I think McPherson’s three pitch mix makes him a number three starter at best. Irwin’s stuff makes him more of a back of the rotation starter at best. That’s about where Jeff Locke is. I see Locke as a strong 4th starter at best. And Locke is the favorite for the 5th starter spot.

Comment

Karstens has a shoulder issue that seems like it could be serious. Liriano won't be ready to start the season.

So the rotation is AJ, J-Mac, Wandy, and then 2 of Locke, McPherson, Jeanmar Gomez and Jonathan Sanchez. Blech.

Comment

Karstens has a shoulder issue that seems like it could be serious. Liriano won't be ready to start the season.

So the rotation is AJ, J-Mac, Wandy, and then 2 of Locke, McPherson, Jeanmar Gomez and Jonathan Sanchez. Blech.
                              Jonathon Sanchez will start the season as the Pirates 4th starter.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X