2013 Indians Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Indians Thread

This is my attempt to get a team thread on every team going. Hopefully started by a local or hometown fan. I think it would be Great to get both local and national perceptions of every team.

You all know my pain:

Trade away stars before they leave for free agency because we're a "small market".
    Hit on few prospects in return, bust on just as many and rarely pull a gem out. And when you do pull a gem, he takes pictures of his wanker
    and fries his knees.
    Terrible draft record and mediocre at growing other teams picks.

Offseason

After years of dissapointing offseasons and penny pinching by the Dolans the Tribe went out and finally spent some money.
    The question is was it money well spent. Better than the typical "mirage" signings that cast the allusion of contention but will they actually
    pay off in wins.
    Swisher, Reynolds, Stubbs and Aviles certainly give the Tribe much needed right handed bats and power(18-35 against lefty starters last year and Santanas 18 homers led the team)
    but the likely batting average drain on a team 251 average kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little.
    We pretty much know what we're getting from Reynolds, Stubbs and Aviles. Unless Stubbs can finally break the mold he's cast for himself
    as an all or nothing guy with speed(I admit I havent seen a lot of him). His defense replacing Choo will be huge though. Have fun Cincy fans watching Choo wear circles in the center field turf.
    Swisher is kind of different story in my opinion. I love the way he plays the game but I can't see him replicating his recent stats in Cleveland.
    The Yankee lineup and Tee-ball right field porch aren't waiting for him here. Can he hold up to the pressure of his contract and being the
    Big Kahuna? He's still a 256 lifetimer even with those nice Yankee years.

On the pitching side, the biggest impact may eventuallyl come from the Choo trade. As much as I love Choo's offense and see him bouncing back from
    his DUI induced season, this trade seemed like a Houdini act to me. Can someone from Arizona please explain the Diamondbacks reasoning on
    this one? Is Lars Anderson still a prospect? Seems like he's been around forever. Getting Bauer, Shaw, Albers and Stubbs for a guy who desperately wanted
    out was brilliant. Choo really wanted to go to a team with a bigger Asian community so we send him to Northern Kentucky. Sorry buddy.

Brett (take that honey) Myers is this years prize in the annual "Veteran Pitcher Blind Dart Throwing Contest". The only explanation here is
    to buy time for Bauer and Carrasco and a backup plan for Wierd Chris Yankovic. If anyone had any doubts about him being traded this year
    let this sink in. Brett Myers, Matt Capps, Brian Shaw, Matt Albers and yes, Rich Hill(speaking of blasts from the past). I guarantee getting rid of this guy is high on Chris Antonettis list. Winehead if there ever was one.

Speaking of darts, we also signed Scott Kazmir. Theres showing faith in your rotation Chris.

I still love Masterson despite his setbacks in 2012. Guy is a ballplayer and great guy with a sweet curve when he can keep it down for strikes. Admittedly not a #1 though.
    Ubaldo? Uhggg. I loved the move at the time and the high prospects we gave up look to be just as much of head cases as Jimenez. I have little faith left in
    who might be the Dominican Rich Hill come to think of it. Can our third pitching coach in three years fix those gumby mechanics? Please?
    Carrasco is a big wild card here. Super upside. At times was Dominant before succumbing to TJ surgery. When he keeps his sinker low he is
    a joy to watch. I actually like McCallister as a 5 at times but so inconsistent. Bauer is the Big Prize here and I expect him to be really good but start
    the year in AAA unless he just whips it good in spring. Hey, how come nobody comes out of the bullpen to Whip It?
    Not much in the minors close here. TJ House?

Carlos Santana has been a dissapointment to me so far. I know we only gave up Casey Blake but the way this kid started gave us all a little
    tingle in our pants. Perhaps these new bats will take a little pressure off him and he can spray the ball around a little and get that BA up.
    My biggest problem with him is at catcher. He has to lead the league in getting shaken off immediately after having a mound meeting. I have actually seen
    Masterson give the WTF look several times after meetings. Oyo Como Va, Carlos. We could move him to first but there his stats look more like Ryan Garko. Okay, a little harsh.
    Asdrubal is another guy who probably looks better from another state. His defensive lapses and quit attitude have worn out their welcome here and I
    would bet the Mike Aviles signing almost assures his ticket out of here. Aviles till Lindor arrives is fine with me. Especially if we can get a SP. There is no "team first" in Asdrubal and Perez
    they just chewed up the Motherly Manny Acta. Will Tito straighten them out? I think he kicks them out.
    Kipnis is definitely a ballplayer and decent option in the 2 hole but those early comparisons to Utley are not warranted. Maybe todays Utley.
    Chisenhall will get his chance but I'm pretty sure the Mark Reynolds signing had as much to do with his ability to play 3B as his ability to hit the long ball.
    I would not be surprised at all to eventually see a lineup of Reynolds at 3rd, Aviles at SS, Kipnis, Oyo Como Va at 1B and Marson and Yan Gomes at C.
    I really like Brantley in the leadoff role and hope they just leave him there and in left field all year.

My expectations are modest this year. My heart hasn't been in it these last several years seeing the hopeless hanging on to Travis and Grady,
    the terrible lapses in effort by our supposed best player Assdribble and the "mirage of contention" signings.
    If I were a betting man, I'd say 5 games over 500 and third or fourth in the central but that might be enough for second in that division. If half the question marks
    in the starting rotation pan out and we can consistantly get to the 7th inning, with our bullpen, we could stay with the tigers till August. I'd be okay with that.

Probably sounds like the rantings of a lunatic but that is one longtime Tribe fans feelings.

Hope this at least gets the ball rolling on other team threads.

Very well done KB...I hope that we can get more than a few of these type of threads up and running.

BTW, you've got to be pleased that the tribe just signed Dice-K to a possible 4 million dollar deal...that has to work out great, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Hornsby; 02-10-2013, 01:28 PM.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

OMG, I thought you were joking. Is Tito gonna bring in Mo Vaugn at DH. I'm used to this game of darts our Front Office plays every offseason. I understand Shapiros philosophy of, if you're not gonna be in the market for the high price guys that you have to take your chances on guys coming off injury and bounce-back candidates but at what point does the money eventually even out. Take all the lightning-in-a-bottle signings money and we could actually get a player.
      Instead of "Lets all get drunk and play ping pong", it's "Let's all get drunk and play pin the tail on the stiff" in our front office.

As you so aptly sang Hornsby, "That's just the way it is, somethings will never change....."
      Last edited by KnuckleBalls; 02-10-2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Oooh, they just signed Jason Giambi as well!

(minor league deal, $750K if he makes the team)
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Aaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

Random thought: Carlos Santana is still a great hitter for a catcher. Still a great deal---it was Casey Blake after all. Even in a disappointing year for him, he was one of the top 5 hitting catchers in the league. Let's face it, there isn't much hitting anywhere at catcher now.

As for what the D-Backs were thinking, it was clearly they wanted Gregorious and they wanted to dump Bauer. It wasn't Lars Anderson---they have already designated him for assignment and the White Sox claimed him off waivers.

As for the signings, they aren't bad, but aren't great. In a division as week as the AL Central, it may be enough to be the second place team that might make the Tigers sweat if the Tigers pitching and defense puts them in an issue at some point in the season. It could be KC or the White Sox doing the same thing, but hey, the signings are enough for a little hope if you get lucky and other teams get unlucky. The long-term key is to draft and develop better---it worked well for the Indians for a long time despite the small market---without doing that, a small market team is in all kinds of trouble.

Comment

Does The Bourn Signing change your thinking a little?

I know it has me wondering, "WTF did they trade to get Stubbs for, then?" Stubbs is a very good defender (not as good as Reds fans used to say, there's a lot of superficial leaping and other flash in his game), but offensively, bozhemoi, swings at everything and learns nothing.
              Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
              -- William James

Comment

I'm not sure that throwing all that money at a speedster on the wrong side of 30 is the best investment.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I've said it in every tribe trade thread so far, so I might as well add it here--I like the Tribes moves this offseason. If I were a long suffering fan, I'd have hope. I think there are clearly a better team today than they were last year, and 2nd in the division is a very real possibility, with a playoff push possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                    I've said it in every tribe trade thread so far, so I might as well add it here--I like the Tribes moves this offseason. If I were a long suffering fan, I'd have hope. I think there are clearly a better team today than they were last year, and 2nd in the division is a very real possibility, with a playoff push possible.
                    Man, I just don't see that happening with their pitching...they really don't have a #1 guy, basically a bunch of 3-5 guys and some kids with potential. They have too many free swingers and odd combos...the speed guys aren't great OBP guys, and the great OBP guys aren't that fast. They could finish 2nd, but I think a playoff run is a long way off...
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      Man, I just don't see that happening with their pitching...they really don't have a #1 guy, basically a bunch of 3-5 guys and some kids with potential. They have too many free swingers and odd combos...the speed guys aren't great OBP guys, and the great OBP guys aren't that fast. They could finish 2nd, but I think a playoff run is a long way off...
                      They took some gambles, and all the peices don't fit just yet, but I think they aren't done dealing. They have more talent now than they did, and I think are in position to move a bat for another arm. But yeah, their pitching is a huge questions mark, but has potential to be good enough to allow them to compete. I think Ubaldo has the talent to bounce back a fair bit, and I like Bauer and even Myers to hold their own. Their starting pitching will keep them from challenging for first, and they'll strike out a ton, which could lead to some ugly games when all their guys get cold at once, but I see a lot of late game surges in their future and a bullpen good enough to hold on for wins when they score those late runs.
                      Last edited by Sour Masher; 02-12-2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

re Trevor Bauer

his rap song:

"Its time to get back to all these fans that I’ve been losing due in part to the rumors moving about that that I refuse to listen / So people get this vision of me, no one goes up hitting for me / I swear I’ve never been gifted nothing."

"Now I'm the bane of society, I'm the villain / millions judge me, even quicker than winning a boxing match by killing / and most of its unjustly given."

funny that they have the DH in Cleveland, given the lyrics
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                          Does The Bourn Signing change your thinking a little?

I know it has me wondering, "WTF did they trade to get Stubbs for, then?" Stubbs is a very good defender (not as good as Reds fans used to say, there's a lot of superficial leaping and other flash in his game), but offensively, bozhemoi, swings at everything and learns nothing.
                          The biggest thing the Bourn signing does for me is give me hope that the team will actually spend its TV money on the field. I agree with Erik that that a"speedster on the wrong side of 30" probably isn't the best investment but considering our team needs, desperate lack of veteran leadership and free agent class this year I think the signing is pretty nice. Very unexpected based on our history. Before the signing I thought if all the IFS and Buts in the starting rotation came through we could make it interesting. After the signing, pretty much the same. It all hinges on Masterson, Ubaldo, Myers, Carrasco and Bauer. That's a tough bet, especially when we need them pretty much all to hit. I'll bet on Masterson and Myers and just cross my fingers for the rest.

Comment

Working...
                          X